Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:24 AM
C4EMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by john m
here's my prediction...
rich kid+free fast car+2 years until senior year = 1 totalled Mustang

lets just pray he doesnt get hurt in the process...

be careful, work hard,take care of and enjoy what you have...when I was your age I was driving a '76 Pinto with no a/c... funny how your signature changes with time...

give this kid time it will get beat on and look like crap if not get totalled he wont take care of it because he didnt work for it.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:50 AM
lawman910
St Jude donor 06
Support Corvetteforum!

It took me 59 years to get my first vette, don't worry, be happy
Old 08-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Aquaman92
Le Mans Master

Next year you will have another new set of problems .Enjoy
Old 08-11-2006, 09:33 AM
MtlSphere
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lizardlver15
I wish I could but my dad won't let me do anything to my car beside visuals on the interior. He is afraid I'm gunna get cocky and get hurt. I'm not gunna blame him though. He's just being a good dad.
A good dad? A dad that won't let his kid use the tools? (You'll be doing drugs and dropping out soon...lol) You're a 16 year old kid with a 20 year old car! That's the quintessential American HotRod scenario!! Besides it's a car that's begging to be modded!

As for you getting cocky? Too late! (see the whole 16 y/o w/Vette above...you can't help it) Sixteen year old boys will test the limits of any vehicle they're driving; Chevette, bicycle, skateboard. You have a car that will probably save your azz when you do get cocky and start showing off. Lotsa low end torque for when you feel like a good smoke, not a whole lot of horsepower though so it takes a long road to go stupid fast. Great handling even 20 yrs later and good brakes...good brakes too.

Have fun while it lasts. As I recall there were only two things I thought about much in high school...Girls and my car. If I'd had a Vette as a sophomore in high school ... Go to the gym, eat right, put on a little bulk and you'll rule the school!

Kiss your drivers license goodbye.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:54 AM
nickyg
Instructor

Don't sweat it. Learn about the heritage of your car and then you'll realize what you really have. And when your dad lets you start working on the car, your knowledge and skill will increase exponentially along with your satisfaction.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:18 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster

This thread is so sad!
Yep,
Old 08-11-2006, 01:30 PM
DG'sVette
Pro

Originally Posted by RonVette2
I have had many vehicles in my life, and when you own a Corvette you are in a different type of class of vehicles in my opinion. Like the above post says, do not sweat it. Corvettes are a whole nother world, especially compared to a Mustang.

I a couple of years he will most likely have a thrashed up mustang & you will still have a nice vette.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:49 PM
quantum-theory
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16 is a tough age, but not as bad as 14. That one really sucks. Don't start your life off, and it is just starting, by resenting those that have more than you. Just know that what you have you obtained honestly, through your own hard work, and take joy in it. That can never happen if you are looking over your shoulder at what other people have and resenting it. Have a good life.

BTW, if one is available near you, consider a driver's school. You will learn much and Dad might be more willing to let you modify the car if he knows you can handle it.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Gooseit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

I can assure you that I'm happy. Really happy but I'm just sayin how rich kids pi$$ me off and just the fact of him talkin crap about his mustang. I know I'm 16 and am happy but I worked hard for my car and he just gets one like that gets me mad. sorry..

Who ever said life was fair? No one! You will never be happy if you gauge your happeness from what other people have. be the better man about it, congradulate the other young man, no matter how he got the car and tell him you are happy for him, then let it go and enjoy life.

Good Luck
The Goose
Old 08-11-2006, 02:16 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

No worries, enjoy the vette live it up, and take great care of it, those shiny new cars don't stay shiny and new for long when people don't know how to take care of them. besides think how much better off you are then everyone walkin' to school, or those of us who worked our tails off to have $1000 cars to drive to work and school.

Since I was 11 all I wanted was to win the senior best car. I knew I had a while to go but all this did was gave me time to get ready for my first car. Many people don't even understand how important this is to me. It would be like a sports player winning state. Well anyway I got into this corvette thing and finally got one last year. beautiful car. I love it. But many highschool kids do not have a liking for older cars. I thought I had this one in the bag until yesterday. Rich kids parents bought him a dark blue mustang gt with 290-300 hp. I can't lie and say it's ugly because it isn't, it's a nice car. Flawless paint, Mach 1 front lip, Chrome rims, and many more add ons. I have been having many doubts on my highschool dream. Many of the students have taken a liking to it. I've been pi$$ed off since I found this out yesterday. Sorry about this pointless post but I really had to let some of the steam out in the best manner that I could. Thanks for listening.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:54 PM
kisypher
Advanced

Since I was 11 all I wanted was to win the senior best car. I knew I had a while to go but all this did was gave me time to get ready for my first car. Many people don't even understand how important this is to me. It would be like a sports player winning state. Well anyway I got into this corvette thing and finally got one last year. beautiful car. I love it. But many highschool kids do not have a liking for older cars. I thought I had this one in the bag until yesterday. Rich kids parents bought him a dark blue mustang gt with 290-300 hp. I can't lie and say it's ugly because it isn't, it's a nice car. Flawless paint, Mach 1 front lip, Chrome rims, and many more add ons. I have been having many doubts on my highschool dream. Many of the students have taken a liking to it. I've been pi$$ed off since I found this out yesterday. Sorry about this pointless post but I really had to let some of the steam out in the best manner that I could. Thanks for listening.
don't feel bad. my daughter is 16 and most of her friends think my '84 is a ford probe. they just don't appreiciate a fine american classic i guess.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I can assure you that I'm happy. Really happy but I'm just sayin how rich kids pi$$ me off and just the fact of him talkin crap about his mustang. I know I'm 16 and am happy but I worked hard for my car and he just gets one like that gets me mad. sorry..
Why would rich kids pizz you off?
That just hurts you
The fact that you worked hard for a Corvette while he was given a rustang puts you way ahead

Attitude determines altitude
Old 08-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Here is a life lesson that you should learn: No matter what you have there will always be someone who has more than you. No matter how rich, there will always be someone richer, etc.

That's how life is. You have to learn to accept this and count your blessings. If you allow this kind of thing to work away at you you'll always b e miserable.

I can still remember when I was a senior in HS the rich kid had a brand new 68 L88 and I took the city bus to school. It took me more than 40 years to save for mine.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:42 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh shoot this isn't the probe forum? My bad.

Originally Posted by kisypher
don't feel bad. my daughter is 16 and most of her friends think my '84 is a ford probe. they just don't appreiciate a fine american classic i guess.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:01 PM
behnevette
Pro

At 16, I was driving my mom's Vega!

Be proud. You worked for it!
Old 08-14-2006, 05:00 PM
AILERON
Burning Brakes

Well...

Have you had enough advice by now?

The guys are right - don't let your life be governed by resentment over what some cat, who may never amount to much anyway, did not earn.

Your life is very good so far in that your folks are putting good values into you. You're sixteen with a Vette. Get the rich kid to take you to the National Mustang Museum in.....oh that's right - there isn't one.

Hang in there, Man. Work on Dad to let you earn the jack for an HPDE (High Performance Driving Experience). It'll make you a far safer driver, especially with a car strapped to your young fanny that will make the Mustang kid go home and BEG his daddy for a Vette, assuming he isn't too proud to get in the car with you.

Life YOUR life. Enjoy YOUR life. You've got a lot going for yourself. Stay in touch.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Repzard
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vancityguy
just checked your profile your 16 with a corvette BE HAPPY! think about the 16 year old with a chevette or no car for that matter

Vettes dont compare to Rustangs its in its own class
Just enjoy your ride youngster

And dont forget to keep the WAVE alive
that some thing he doesnt get with that Rustang

Get notified of new replies

To This SUCKS!

Old 08-14-2006, 05:14 PM
shilly
Instructor

1. my first car at 16 years old was a beat up 1972 super beatle that I delivered newspapars and mowed lawns to get. Not pretty, but it was MINE. You will know what I mean when you continue to take car of your car and theirs starts to fall apart.
2. I always wanted a vette and finally got one after 35 years (and it happens to be the same years as yours 1986 - love it).
3. Jealous of someone with a Mustang? Blasphamy! Say 3 Hail Marys and 2 Our Fathers

Enjoy your vette! Don't worry about anyone else. Let's see what his Stang looks like when it's 20 years old. You're driving one of the funnest and best muscle cars ever made. Enjoy!
Old 08-14-2006, 05:15 PM
bert wiest
Advanced

Default this sucks?

You by far have the better car, a legend for sure and you are only 16. 16! I have loved these cars all my life and just last month got my first one and I am a far cry from 16. Count your blessings my friend, you have come out on top for sure.
Bert Wiest
Old 08-14-2006, 05:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I wish I could but my dad won't let me do anything to my car beside visuals on the interior. He is afraid I'm gunna get cocky and get hurt. I'm not gunna blame him though. He's just being a good dad.
First off, you know all about "dissin", right? It's a slang way of saying someone is "disrespecting you", right? Right. Well, you GOT MY RESPECT!! You hear me? No dissin' you.

Just like HotRod said: you earned, you bought, you got it yourself. There is no new car, NONE, that's better than what you got. Unfortunately, you just don't have your priorities straight. What you are hearing and seeing is someone talking about "their car", having a car "given to them", and it means nothing...absolutely NOTHING.

Now, second, let's talk about the DAD thing. Dad's actually doing the same thing you did, or that you are doing: he's watching out for you so you don't pee away ALL your money in your car. Or, do something silly like have a car that you can't ("can't" means physically unable) control. It's bad (or good enough) with 300 or so horses. Any more, and you could lose it and a whole lot more under the right situations.

So, let's sum it up:

-- you got my respect,
-- you've done the right thing,
-- your Dad is a "thinking" kinda guy (and also has my respect).

What's left? Oh yeah, that little bit about what others say, do, think, brag, or get given to them. NOW, have you got your priorities straight?

You're a winner, my friend. And just about every one on, or who reads this thread will agree with that one.

Quick Reply: This SUCKS!