C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Velcro fastener for convertible flap coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 PM
TopSpeedC4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velcro fastener for convertible flap coming loose

Hi folks! This is a non-urgent issue, but is driving me a wee bit nuts... the velcro strip that holds the interior flap secure for the convertible roof on the passengers side is about to let go. I'd like to refasten it, but am worried that using too strong a glue or epoxy might make it impossible to remove/repair later? The normal glue that comes with velcro will be no where near strong enough to hold onto that flap as there is some pressure there.

So, I am wondering/hoping someone here would know the best method to reattach this to the roof frame?

Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
cajun86
Pro

I used apoxy and have had no problems.....
Old 08-10-2006, 03:12 PM
wolverine1967
Pro

Originally Posted by cajun86
I used apoxy and have had no problems.....
epoxy is pretty perm. i have the same issue and was going to go out and get velcro with the industrial strength glue back.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:13 PM
TopSpeedC4
Instructor

Originally Posted by wolverine1967
epoxy is pretty perm. i have the same issue and was going to go out and get velcro with the industrial strength glue back.
I wasn't aware there was such a thing! Is it readily available somewhere? Typical hardware store, sort of thing?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:17 PM
wolverine1967
Pro

Originally Posted by TopSpeedC4
I wasn't aware there was such a thing! Is it readily available somewhere? Typical hardware store, sort of thing?
If you have a crafts or Art supply store nearby give them a ring. I'll try to get you the link to my vendor or see if they have any.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:21 PM
wolverine1967
Pro

i found this place on the net
my vendor only has the squares not roll
http://www.instaoffice.com/Industria...FFPTECVEK90198

maybe it comes in black
keep looking

search for heavy duty velcro
Old 08-10-2006, 03:32 PM
TopSpeedC4
Instructor

Awesome, thank you my friend! Yes, please, if you find others please do post the link. Now that I know what to look for, there is an arts and crafts store here closeby... that's totally awesome, thank you!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:40 PM
wolverine1967
Pro

np

Let me know what you decide to do

good luck
Old 08-10-2006, 03:45 PM
swifty
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Stronger Glue

I have had the same issue with mine for about three years - and have not resolved it yet. Agreed, the glue that comes with the Velcro is too weak - it lasts for only a few days.

I HAVE managed to get the steel frame side of the Velcro to stick with a form of gorilla glue, but have not been so lucky with the Velcro on the 'vert top. The gorilla glue worked on the top for a couple of months but finally failed. Ditto the two-part epoxy I used. If anybody can recommend the name of a glue for the canvas top Velcro strip I'd appreciate the same assistance.

Good luck with yours, TopSpeed.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:13 PM
TopSpeedC4
Instructor

Originally Posted by swifty
I have had the same issue with mine for about three years - and have not resolved it yet. Agreed, the glue that comes with the Velcro is too weak - it lasts for only a few days.

I HAVE managed to get the steel frame side of the Velcro to stick with a form of gorilla glue, but have not been so lucky with the Velcro on the 'vert top. The gorilla glue worked on the top for a couple of months but finally failed. Ditto the two-part epoxy I used. If anybody can recommend the name of a glue for the canvas top Velcro strip I'd appreciate the same assistance.

Good luck with yours, TopSpeed.
Oh geez, sorry to hear about your particular problem there! I was thinking, myself, if I have that problem in the future, I'd go to our local upholstery shop and get them to sew it back on... is that a bad idea? It hasn't happened yet to our car, just thinking about it is all....

I'll definately post results next week when I get a chance to try this all out... I hope you find a way to fix yours, too, swifty... best of luck, my friend.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:58 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the ACE hardware glue in the bottle it says industrial strength .
Old 08-10-2006, 07:13 PM
86 Red Neck
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wolverine1967
i found this place on the net
my vendor only has the squares not roll
http://www.instaoffice.com/Industria...FFPTECVEK90198

maybe it comes in black
keep looking

HERE IT IS IN BLACK SAME LINK
search for heavy duty velcro
Industrial Strength Sticky-Back® Hook & Loop Fasteners, Black, 2"x15' Tape Roll
by Velcro USA, Inc.

List Price: $42.01
Our Price: $24.71
You Save: $17.30
Product ID: VEK90197
Sold As: 1 RL
Availability: 150+ in Stock
Quantity:
Old 08-10-2006, 08:40 PM
BIGBYRD1993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In XI, XII Veteran
NCM Lifetime Member & Ambassador

I went to a local auto interior shop that does tops. They did my '87 and '93 for $10.00. They cleaned off the old glue and replaced the velcro.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:05 PM
sailrmon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have the industrial velcro at Canadian Tire on Admirals Rd.I've got plenty of it.If you want some PM me and we'll hook up.Paul
Old 08-14-2006, 01:58 PM
TopSpeedC4
Instructor

Originally Posted by sailrmon
They have the industrial velcro at Canadian Tire on Admirals Rd.I've got plenty of it.If you want some PM me and we'll hook up.Paul
I'm going to try and hook up with Paul here, first... but if that doesn't work out...

Originally Posted by allstarcmdr
I went to a local auto interior shop that does tops. They did my '87 and '93 for $10.00. They cleaned off the old glue and replaced the velcro.
I will definately try this!!! GREAT idea! Thanks kindly!!
Old 08-14-2006, 02:08 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Spare velcro strips are absoloutely indespensible when working on the interiors of these cars. Buy some for this project, and keep some extra around for a rainy day; you would be surprised at the applications. I've used it to remove almost all the rattles in the car and as an improvised "latch" for my glovebox. The adhesive is not permanent like epoxy but if you're patient and give it time to set, it should not peel off of the object even while the velcro is pulled apart; if all else fails, take a razor to the velcro hooks and weaken the velcro effect until the desired strength is reached.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:15 PM
TopSpeedC4
Instructor

Originally Posted by LouisvilleLT4
Spare velcro strips are absoloutely indespensible when working on the interiors of these cars. Buy some for this project, and keep some extra around for a rainy day; you would be surprised at the applications. I've used it to remove almost all the rattles in the car and as an improvised "latch" for my glovebox. The adhesive is not permanent like epoxy but if you're patient and give it time to set, it should not peel off of the object even while the velcro is pulled apart; if all else fails, take a razor to the velcro hooks and weaken the velcro effect until the desired strength is reached.
Many thanks, kind sir, I will follow this sound advice! Never thought of using it before as an ad-hoc method of fixing rattles, etc. What a great idea! *scratches goatee* As a matter of fact, my glove box door latch is broken... Thank you so much!

Get notified of new replies

To Velcro fastener for convertible flap coming loose

Old 08-21-2006, 05:31 PM
TopSpeedC4
Instructor

Just to keep this thread up-to-date, in case anyone else is having this minor problem. New friends of ours popped by for a visit yesterday afternoon, with some heavy duty velcro in hand. We had an awesome visit, and it's becoming evident that Corvette people are a special breed, that's for sure.

Anyways, I used some real heavy duty solvent to clean up the mess left behind from the old velcro. We feel that it's likely the previous owner had done something to try and fix this before, as the glue/adhesive that was on there was rather unusual. Anyways, got most of it off. Applied new heavy duty velcro to window frame. Looks great, sticks perfectly.

Here's the kicker. The velcro on the flap (the original piece) will not hookup to the new heavy duty velcro we replaced. So, I guess I need to go to an upholstery shop or something and have the other half of the equation replaced as well.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Aquaman92
Le Mans Master

Reglue it with Gorilla glue
Old 08-22-2006, 02:56 PM
TopSpeedC4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aquaman92
Reglue it with Gorilla glue
Yep, I spoke to my friend again and I think this is pretty much what I am going to try. I will go and get some just normal velcro and try the native glue on it first (but I suspect it will come off faster'n a set of tires on a Z06 at the track) and if that doesn't work.. time for the big guns. Do you know if we can get that stuff up here in Canada?

Thanks for posting, my friend!!

Quick Reply: Velcro fastener for convertible flap coming loose