C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Fluid type & capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:10 PM
1LT4ME
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid type & capacity?

I need to change my manual trans and rear diff fluid. Anyone know what type and how much fluid goes in each? It's a '96 LT4 6-speed with 3:45 rear gears.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:37 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

In Gordon Killebrew's class he recommends draining and filling the rear end with 2 bottles of GM posi additive and then fill with Mobil 1 differential fluid until reaches the level of the drain hole.
I'm at work now so cannot look up the tranny info. If I recall though he recommended synthetic for that also.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

From the GM 1996 corvette service manual on page 7-7 of book 2 for the ZF S6-40 6-Speed Manual Trans (RPO ML9) the recommended lub is GM Gear Lub P/N 1052931 and amount is 2.12 liters or 4.4 pints.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Buy (3) quarts of tranny fluid, (3) quarts of rear gear oil, and (2) four oz bottles of posi additive.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:36 PM
1LT4ME
Racer

Originally Posted by Fast Cop
From the GM 1996 corvette service manual on page 7-7 of book 2 for the ZF S6-40 6-Speed Manual Trans (RPO ML9) the recommended lub is GM Gear Lub P/N 1052931 and amount is 2.12 liters or 4.4 pints.
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Buy (3) quarts of tranny fluid, (3) quarts of rear gear oil, and (2) four oz bottles of posi additive.
Well, gear lube is not tranny fluid. And I'd rather not buy GM part# whatever, I'd prefer to use synthetic stuff. I also don't think that part # is Dexron III. Any idea what weight gear lube? 75w140 was what went in my Trans Am's 3.42 rear end. And I seem to recall the gear lube that went in the 6-speed of my wife's '99 Z28 was like 80w90 or something, but I just can't remember for sure...
Old 07-07-2006, 12:34 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I'm home now. Here is the text from Chris Petris' C4 class that I took last year: 6-speed transmission. Drain the transmission. A large 14mm Allen wrench is necessary. Remove the fill pulg. Refill with 10W30 oil.
Differential Service: The differential should be serviced every 25,000-30,000 miles. You can use a suction gun and remove the used differential gear oil, however this is very difficult to do and most debris is left on the bottom of the differential case. I have created a differential drain plug kit to remedy the problem. I refill the differential with Mobil One synthetic gear oil and General Motors differential positraction additive.
Note (from me): He does not list the weight of the differential lubricant here and I believe you can buy his differential drain plug kit from Ecklers. I have seen it posted either here or at www.corvetteactioncenter.com
OK, this from Mike Antonick's Cor-vette Specs book for the 1996 Corvette: Rear Axle Unit, Lubricant Capacity: 3.0 pt (auto trans), 2.75 pt (manual trans). Lubricant type recommended: GL-5 gear lubricant 80-W90.
Goodnight, headed for the pillow now.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Cop
my '92 service manual shows the same part number - however that is for the TRANSMISSION fluid

i bought the ROYALPURPLE 75w90 it already has the friction modifier in it!
http://royalpurple.com/techa/whichoil.html

go back to the AZ forum and PM sidewinder - he's our resident independent certified oil expert - they don't call him SKID for nothing!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:30 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Runemaster
Well, gear lube is not tranny fluid. And I'd rather not buy GM part# whatever, I'd prefer to use synthetic stuff. I also don't think that part # is Dexron III.
I never mentioned ATF. If the ZF6 calls for ketchup, then ketchup is your transmission fluid.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 07-07-2006 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:46 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hey CC, the early C4's also used 80w90 in the rear axle didnt they?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:32 AM
1LT4ME
Racer

I never mentioned ATF. If the ZF6 calls for ketchup, then ketchup is your transmission fluid.
Yes you did (and it contradicts what Fast Cop said):

I ask for type & capacity, you said "Tranny fluid". ATF stands for "Automatic Transmission Fluid" so, yes, you did mention ATF, albeit in a rather vague and unproductive manner. (It's like if I asked for tire pressure settings and you responded "A Lot".) ATF doesn't normally go in a manual trans, although there are some applications out there where Dexron III (a type of ATF) is used in a manual transmission. However, I've never encountered a vehicle that has ketchup in the trans, or any other assembly besides the random shifter that was the victim of too many McDonald's runs.

Does anyone know what GM Gear Lub P/N 1052931 is, weight and type wise?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

My bad, I thought you were asking us for help. But since you're nit picking it, you might want to contact these guys and let them know they need to rename their stuff:

Some manual transmissions take gear oil, some take ATF, some take motor oil. And for fun, I'm using Mobil 1 ATF for power steering fluid.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:39 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 4Ever21
hey CC, the early C4's also used 80w90 in the rear axle didnt they?

I believe so. The optional 75w140 is too thick and will probably break down to a 75w90 anyways. And it will sap your fuel mileage and hp. Dale Earnhardt once ran qualifying laps with teflon coated gears and no lube, he won the pole. They had forgotten to fill the diff by accident.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:51 AM
1LT4ME
Racer

My bad, I thought you were asking us for help. But since you're nit picking it, Some manual transmissions take gear oil, some take ATF, some take motor oil. And for fun, I'm using Mobil 1 ATF for power steering fluid.

I asked for SPECS, and you responded "go buy some tranny fluid" which is far from specific. So, while you may think you were being helpful (or cute or cool or trendily angst ridden), you were actually merely wasting time and forum space with a gerneralized response that failed to put the "specific" in "specs". And yet, somehow, you think you were offering help. Sorry if you find my desire for precise information "nit picking", but I'm weird like that... Have a nice life.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:29 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Ok then, go get an eyedropper and measure out 34.6343 oz and squeeze it into your transmission.

That's not how its done, you round up to the next quart, purchase that many, and you pump it in until it comes out the fill hole. Any discussion beyond that is wasting time. And if you don't know what type of fluid goes in the ZF6, you must have born yesterday, it's a repetitive discussion topic on here, and to ask without searching is "wasting time and forum space."

I have never found a fill capacity published for the Corvette D44.

The GM fluid previously mentioned for the ZF6 is a 5w30. Some have said it was originally manufactured by Pennzoil. But then some have also said that gear oils and motor oils don't use the same viscocity scale, so take it for what its worth.

Synthetic vs non-synthetic should not be your first criteria for the ZF6. You'll probably find that although harder to come by, the GM fluid is preferred. Testing by ZFdoc and experience from myself and some forum members, raises doubts about the use of the Castrol synthetic TWS 10-60 motor oil.

You have the wrong attitude.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:33 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
I'm home now. Here is the text from Chris Petris' C4 class that I took last year: 6-speed transmission. Drain the transmission. A large 14mm Allen wrench is necessary. Remove the fill pulg.
You will need a 17mm allen wrench, not a 14mm. Check Autozone for a 3-pack containing it that fits on your 1/2" ratchet.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:09 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You will need a 17mm allen wrench, not a 14mm. Check Autozone for a 3-pack containing it that fits on your 1/2" ratchet.

I just purchased the 3 pack last weekend. 17mm is what it takes.
Also bought the little plactic pump. Very hard to add the fluid in a ZF6 without one, since the fill plug is on the side.

And to Runemaster, Do what CentralCoaster says......... you buy 3 quarts of trans fluid and it will take approx. 2 1/2 quarts before it starts running out the fill hole. I used Amzoil, it lists the GM spec on the bottle. The type of fluid you use is up to you, as the orginal GM part number is no longer available or at least very hard to find. This topic has probably been discussed on this forum more than any other. And every brand/type of fluid has it's supporters and nay sayers.

One final note: Be sure and get your car up high enough to climb under and make sure it's level too. If it's not level, you will not get an accurate measure when adding the new fluid.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:12 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

To my knowledge, I haven't heard of ZFdoc questioning Castrol TWS fluid for the man trans. Please show references for this.

This is from ZFdoc.com, FAQ section:
"Jim, the C4 Corvette ZF S6-40 6-speed transmission uses engine oil for lubrication. I was told by Jeff Henning, Warranty Administrator of ZF Industries North America, that Engineering of ZF Industries in Germany determined that the BMW imported Castrol (RS superceded by TWS) 10W-60 oil was the recommended alternative to the (GM P/N 1052931) factory-fill oil for use in the ZF S6-40 transmission. ..."

They did their own (ZFdoc, did) test and concluded the following:
" In Conclusion, until someone invents a copper magnet, we recommend that the ZF S6-40 6-speed transmission oil be changed at 10,000 - 12,000 mile intervals so as to minimize the amount of deposits of the suspended spent synchronizer material from collecting in critical component contact surface areas."

Last edited by AORoads; 07-07-2006 at 10:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fluid type & capacity?

Old 07-07-2006, 10:23 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
To my knowledge, I haven't heard of ZFdoc questioning Castrol TWS fluid for the man trans. Please show references for this.
I should rephrase that. ZFdoc doesn't say anything bad about the bmw fluid. But his data is very unassuring. Unfortunately he hasn't tested the other fluids. I know my first fluid change, the bmw lube looked like a copper milkshake.

Originally Posted by from ZFdoc website
(Q.) I just bought, at the local BMW dealership, 3 liters of the Castrol TWS 10W60 oil. I was surprised to see that it is motor oil. Not being a lubrication engineer myself, who did the investigation and determination that this product is compatible with and good for our ZF transmissions? Jim – Grand Sport Registry

(A.) Jim, the C4 Corvette ZF S6-40 6-speed transmission uses engine oil for lubrication. I was told by Jeff Henning, Warranty Administrator of ZF Industries North America, that Engineering of ZF Industries in Germany determined that the BMW imported Castrol (RS superceded by TWS) 10W-60 oil was the recommended alternative to the (GM P/N 1052931) factory-fill oil for use in the ZF S6-40 transmission. In effort to verify ZF Industries alternative lubricant recommendation, we ran our own test series on the BMW imported Castrol TWS 10W-60 oil. Independent testing of the transmission oil samples was sub-contracted out to CTC Analytical Services. The test series went as follows:
<1> Spectrographic analysis indicated that it is has full synthetic composition.
<2> After 2 hours of operation, approximately 100 miles, oil sample analysis tests indicated that the viscosity rating was reduced from 60 down to a 43 level. No need to worry, this is a normal occurrence for this heavier type of oil. I attribute this to microscopic-level lubricant-strand trimming through operational loading where all of the oil contents has been passed through gear pressure-loading regions at least a few times.
<3> At 200 miles, the viscosity level stabilized at a 42 level viscosity since the 100 mile oil analysis test results.
<4> At 5000 miles, the oil analysis test results indicated a 40 level viscosity.
The test-transmission was completely disassembled and checked for wear. There were no signs of carbon film like experienced with the factory-fill oil. The phosphor-bronze lined synchronizers had no glazing and experienced an average mass loss of approximately 4% based on reserve-wear-range mass equivalency between 0.062"(new) and 0.048"(spent)
gap wear/mass measurements.
<5> At 10,000 miles, the oil analysis test results indicated a 39 level viscosity.
<6> At 12,500 miles, the oil analysis test results indicated a 37 level viscosity.
<7> At 15,000 miles, the oil analysis test results indicated a 34 level viscosity.
The test-transmission was again completely disassembled and checked for wear. There were no signs of carbon film like experienced with the factory-fill 30 oil. The phosphor-bronze lined synchronizers had no glazing and experienced an average mass loss of approximately 17% based on reserve-wear-range mass equivalency between 0.062"(new) and 0.048"(spent) gap wear/mass measurements.
<8> At 15,000 miles the oil had enough phosphor-bronze particles suspended
in it that deposits began building up inside of the synchronizer sliding
sleeves from the normal centrifuge-like rotational occurrence.
In Conclusion, until someone invents a copper magnet, we recommend that the ZF S6-40 6-speed transmission oil be changed at 10,000 - 12,000 mile intervals so as to minimize the amount of deposits of the suspended spent synchronizer material from collecting in critical component contact surface areas.
Upon re-reading it he indicates the factory fill left some glazing an film, but I don't know that this is a bad thing. Which one showed less syncrho wear is more important to me, and 17% sounds like a bunch. And having to change it every 12,000 miles seems like a bandaid for using bad lube. Copper/bronze syncrhos have been around forever and a oil change interval that low is unheard of. Some manual trannies don't have a recommended change interval, because they are intended to be left in for the life of the car.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Auto instructor at the tech school where I used to work recommended Mobil 1 5w30 for the ZF. That was 30K miles ago. Drained it early this week and it still had that nice caramel color, tranny shifts smooth, quiet, everything good. I re-filled with Mobil 1 again because it's available and seems to work great. Car has 54K miles total.

Another point: ZFdoc says something like 85% of the units that come into his shop are the result of poorly functioning clutch hydraulic systems that damage the trans...not poor lubrication.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:25 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Runemaster
I need to change my manual trans and rear diff fluid. Anyone know what type and how much fluid goes in each? It's a '96 LT4 6-speed with 3:45 rear gears.
Manual transmission takes 2.2 quarts a gear lube, GM part 1052931. This synthetic AMSOIL product is labeled to meet that requirement:
AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)

The differential takes 1.7 quarts of 80w90. The limited slip diffs also uses 4 oz of GM part no. 1052358. This AMSOIL product meets these specs and it comes with the friction modifier included so adding the 4 oz of modifier is not normally needed. I use this fluid in my 2002 Z06 and don't need the modifier.
AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90

This comes in handy for those doing it themselves: AMSOIL Hand Pump

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Quick Reply: Fluid type & capacity?