C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bench Stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Bench Stock

My car is a 96 vert LT1 correct color (red/black) w/ 41,000 miles.

OK, since I have been on this forum I have heard talk about the most common things which will break on our vette's. So what I have decided to do is start buying the items which, based on threads here, I know will break. (i.e. water pump, opti, etc) My plan is to start my own bench stock and buy these items as I see them at good prices.

I need your help to figure out what is a good price, example in the Ecklers catalog a new water pump sells for $219.99 and on e-bay right now from gm parts direct they have one with a buy it now price of $187.
Please give me your feedback on good prices and what things you see I will need over the next 2 - 3 years.

Oh, Jet-Jock if you read this is $149.00 a good price for AC Delco Durlast Dyrastop break pads all around.

Here is the list I came up with to start

Water Pump
Break Pads
Rotors
Opti-spark
Rad upper and lower hoses

Thanks in advance
Old 07-05-2006, 07:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Just a tad more info: you drive it all year round? about how many miles per year do you est. you'll drive?

Thanks, Fast. OK, I'll take a shot. At 41K miles + say 12K more in the next 2-3 years, I can't think of much beyond what you've got listed above. Maybe a serpentine belt at 50K miles. Don't know about tires, maybe depending on what you've got on now and what's left on the tread. Don't really want to "stockpile" tires since they've essentially got an expiration date years after production.

I don't see shocks, wheel bearings, fr./rr suspension? no. Calipers, no. Brake lines themselves, maybe. Possibly a radiator itself but with good maint. on your part, yours may last to 250K miles. You'll need all the fluids changed sometime but no use stocking the bottles. Thermostat? Rad Cap? IAC? Fuel pump, fuel sock, maybe sending unit?

Last edited by AORoads; 07-05-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

It's not a DD and with the great weather here in South Carolina I do use it year round. Average is 2,000 - 4,000 miles per year.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:29 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had an alternator take a dump at 47K on an '89.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I was just gonna say an alternator if you can find a new one, or one in very good condition. ("sure,I just bet you were gonna say that..")

One other thing: new wires, if you can find them at a great price. Never hurts to have them sitting on the shelf. Maybe a coil but kind of unlikely?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm, predictive analysis and parts buying. I do that to some degree in that I keep some stock parts but nothing on that scale.

Water pump and opti in one group plus add to that group distributor seal, water pump drive shaft and its seal, and a water pump gasket. All those parts would run you about $60 plus the pump and opti.

Rotors and pads in another group but once you do those it will be a while before you touch pads again. About your question I think its a little high.

Coolant hoses, I'd sit down with the parts catalog (or parts person) and identify each one. There are about eight I believe and do them all at one time. That way your good to go for a while. Best preventative maintenance. In theory that would give you about another 3 yrs or 36K on those items.

If your going to pre-plan and stock parts that could get expensive. Maybe a couple items here or there but I think I'd just deal with the issue as it came up. Nothing wrong with stocking small parts like a full set of fasteners and different nuts used metal and plastic. Perhaps bizarre parts that may be going EOL. For example when I bought my vacuum harness assy they were in EOL mode, so I bought two because they are so unique. Things like extra window guide stops.

However you decide to go about it, be sure to look at the component and all the other necessary items to replace that part, that is stock the items to do the job.

Last edited by Jet-Jock; 07-05-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:31 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try putting $$ in a separate bank account instead of parts on the shelf.
Earn some interest. What if you stock $1K in parts and car is wrecked or stolen? Maybe you get enough insurance and buy an LT4 like Tobijohn, or maybe a C5, what then?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:42 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I try to find a woman willing to pay for repairs. It's kind of hit and miss but has worked lately. Seems like it works better in the summertime....Hmmm?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:44 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Or you have to sell it due to an unforseen life change. Then you are stuck with the parts and can only sell them for cheap.
Many folks never have to replace most of that stuff. You just never hear of them.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Wow great responses, it gives me many options to think about. The information I get here helps me out greatly. Thanks again!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Bench Stock

Quick Reply: Bench Stock