Default Self installed soft top?

Anyone installed their own soft top?Any comments advice Thanks
Old 06-27-2006, 01:00 AM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Looks like a major pain to me...I have an 87 with a new top in the box and haven't got up the nerve to try it yet.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:42 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First take a picture of both side rails .Put the new top over the one that is on the car now and mark the center,front and rear.
Don't cut any of the material off until the top is on the car and the side rails are screwed into place.
Make you have glue remover and you may need to mix the remover with some laquor thinner to get the old glue off.
Cover the car paint so you don't scrach it or get the glue remover on the paint.
Go to ACE Hardware and get the industrial velcro.Make sure you remove the old velcro and clean up the plastic pieces and install the new fuzzy part of the velcro cross way's.
You will need the strongest spray glue you can find on the market.
Yes you will need to spray both sides,when applying the top to the metal pieces.
I used the spray and the roll on glue they use for counter tops.
TAKE YOUR TIME!!!
The last part you full with is the back of the top ,install the front first.
Bag all the screws and the long side rails to it's respective side.Don't mix the screws and plastic pieces and what ever up.
Watch how you pull the plastic piece off or you will mess up the weather strip.I would replace both side rail weather strips.
The top weather strip should stay intact if you are careful.
Pull the long piece of canves at the rear real tight and start to glue it in place.You can roll the material under and leave it until the glue is dry on both sides before you install the canvis.Start in the center at all times front center first and rear center last.You can lift up the back of the window to make the canvis tight but don't cut the material until the next day,when everything is dry.Pull it down and lock it into place and your done.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:44 AM
sailrmon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
First take a picture of both side rails .Put the new top over the one that is on the car now and mark the center,front and rear.
Don't cut any of the material off until the top is on the car and the side rails are screwed into place.
Make you have glue remover and you may need to mix the remover with some laquor thinner to get the old glue off.
Cover the car paint so you don't scrach it or get the glue remover on the paint.
Go to ACE Hardware and get the industrial velcro.Make sure you remove the old velcro and clean up the plastic pieces and install the new fuzzy part of the velcro cross way's.
You will need the strongest spray glue you can find on the market.
Yes you will need to spray both sides,when applying the top to the metal pieces.
I used the spray and the roll on glue they use for counter tops.
TAKE YOUR TIME!!!
The last part you full with is the back of the top ,install the front first.
Bag all the screws and the long side rails to it's respective side.Don't mix the screws and plastic pieces and what ever up.
Watch how you pull the plastic piece off or you will mess up the weather strip.I would replace both side rail weather strips.
The top weather strip should stay intact if you are careful.
Pull the long piece of canves at the rear real tight and start to glue it in place.You can roll the material under and leave it until the glue is dry on both sides before you install the canvis.Start in the center at all times front center first and rear center last.You can lift up the back of the window to make the canvis tight but don't cut the material until the next day,when everything is dry.Pull it down and lock it into place and your done.
Thanks Bra!!
Old 06-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Charlutz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a writeup in the forum's C4 tech tips you should read here.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:34 PM
sailrmon
Racer

Originally Posted by Charlutz
There is a writeup in the forum's C4 tech tips you should read here.
Thanks good advice there
Old 06-27-2006, 05:17 PM
poplife
Melting Slicks

I went through this back in December 05. Redc4corvette gave me very good instructions. After looking over it, the top and the manual for 2 hours, I talked myself out of it and had a shop do it.

But then I also had them chang the weather strip all around the top.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:41 PM
dock351
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

im in process of doing mine now...i found the worst parts to be removing the tiny screws that were frozen, as well as the rotton weatherstripping and old glue. apart from that, it seems like it shouldnt be all THAT bad.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:44 AM
blue88conv
Advanced

I just did mine. spent approx 16 hours doing it. Worst part is removing old screws (had to drill out 3 of them) and removing the old weatherstripping. I wouldn't say it was a difficult project, but time consuming because you want to be careful. I took the entire top off the car so I could paint the frame rails, but recommend keeping the frame on the car. I think it would be a lot easier. I actually mounted the frame on a couple of saw horses in my basement so I could move it around.

I bought a good glue remover from 3M but it didn't work so well on removing the weatherstripping glue. Had to do a lot of scraping to get the glue off. If I had to do it all over again, I would look for a product that would remove weatherstripping glue.

Don't even think about trying to save the old weatherstripping either. Not worth it. I bought replacement weatherstripping on ebay from Penn-Ohio Corvette Specialties for around $200 (with shipping) and it was EXCELLENT.

I also was guided by a video tape I got from another forum member that I would gladly ship to you. Tape is very grainy and some parts are unwatchable, but there was enough there to get me through it and at least shows you the steps.

Assuming I can find it, I will send the tape to you if you want it. Send me an email with your address if you want it. Again, if you're a little bit handy, definitely a project you can manage. My top came out great.

By-the-way, I got my cloth top from topsonline.com. Highly recommended.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Charlutz
Racer

I had a shop do mine, but I also switched to a cloth top and am very glad I did. Much nicer.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:16 PM
sailrmon
Racer

Originally Posted by blue88conv
I just did mine. spent approx 16 hours doing it. Worst part is removing old screws (had to drill out 3 of them) and removing the old weatherstripping. I wouldn't say it was a difficult project, but time consuming because you want to be careful. I took the entire top off the car so I could paint the frame rails, but recommend keeping the frame on the car. I think it would be a lot easier. I actually mounted the frame on a couple of saw horses in my basement so I could move it around.

I bought a good glue remover from 3M but it didn't work so well on removing the weatherstripping glue. Had to do a lot of scraping to get the glue off. If I had to do it all over again, I would look for a product that would remove weatherstripping glue.

Don't even think about trying to save the old weatherstripping either. Not worth it. I bought replacement weatherstripping on ebay from Penn-Ohio Corvette Specialties for around $200 (with shipping) and it was EXCELLENT.

I also was guided by a video tape I got from another forum member that I would gladly ship to you. Tape is very grainy and some parts are unwatchable, but there was enough there to get me through it and at least shows you the steps.

Assuming I can find it, I will send the tape to you if you want it. Send me an email with your address if you want it. Again, if you're a little bit handy, definitely a project you can manage. My top came out great.

By-the-way, I got my cloth top from topsonline.com. Highly recommended.
Thanks for offer of tape but I'm doing it this weekend and it wouldn't get here in time.I've already run into the screw issue just getting the headliner off.Good section on top in Helm's so I should be OK.Thanks for input

Get notified of new replies

To Self installed soft top?

Quick Reply: Self installed soft top?