Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyone use Bose Central (bosecentral.com) recently for an amp repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 05:24 PM
whostorm05
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Anyone use Bose Central (bosecentral.com) recently for an amp repair?

I used them back in early June to repair one front speaker and the repair was quick (less than a week) and worked fine. I purchased the rebuild service off an eBay auction of theirs.

I then decided to use their website to order a rebuild of 3 other amps (1 front and 2 rear).

They received all 3 amps on June 15.

On June 23 I asked how it was going with the repairs. They indicated "I just spoke to the technician and he said that two of the amp passed testing yesterday and one failed so it had to go back and be reworked. It may take a day of so before it is ready to be shipped after retesting."
By July 1 I hadn't heard anything so requested an update. I didn't receive a response. I asked again on July 5 and was told "The two that are ready are the rears, the front amp needs an IC that was burnt internally we ordered ordered the part and still waiting for it to be delivered, we have a part shortage in the US because of China, give us a few more days to receive the parts and it should be done early next week. Please let me know if you have any questions.Thanks"

Totally understand, so this time I allowed more time before my next email.

On August 8 I requested an update and was told "I just checked and amps were completed and is currently with the shipping department, I will make sure they will go out today. We had to wait weeks for parts to be delivered from China and I apologize for the long delay.".

Needless to say, I haven't seen the amps yet and the tracking number which was added to my paypal order on Aug 10 still shows "label created".

I sent a follow up email on Monday and again today. No response yet.

Old 08-18-2022, 05:33 PM
whostorm05
Instructor

Interestingly enough I just got an update "Yes I was at the post office today and they said that it will be updated tonight and show movement."

We'll see what happens next.

Last edited by whostorm05; 08-18-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:58 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

I've used them a couple of times to repair speaker amps, the CDM, and lastly the HU (cassette and CD repair), and their service and speed were pretty good. And now it all works.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:19 PM
whostorm05
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrlmd
I've used them a couple of times to repair speaker amps, the CDM, and lastly the HU (cassette and CD repair), and their service and speed were pretty good. And now it all works.
Yeah my first interaction went really well with them. My second one, not so much.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:28 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

How long does paypal allow before you have no recourse? If youre nearing the date let them know you either see your parts, tracking # of have no choice but to demand a refund. ..reinvoice you when your parts show.
Heard lots of good about them but these days gotta CYA trust nobody.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:35 PM
whostorm05
Instructor

The good news is that the USPS tracking number now shows the package has been accepted by the post office and it's on the way. So hopefully there's three amps in there and they all work.
The following users liked this post:
Cornhusker (08-18-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 12:17 AM
Bryanh24
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

keep us updated. I am thinking about going through them to repair my amps as well.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:41 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Dr. Don is also an excellent source for the Bose Amp/Speaker repair. His prices are also very reasonable and a quick turn-around. Dr. Don is located in Texas.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:07 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I believe that there's much to consider here. Everyone has supply issues - everyone!! If there's an eBay offering from the same vendor for the same/similar 'service' then doing direct and saving a couple dollars might suffer. I'd think the vendors status with eBay is something they need to consider. Does the eBay purchaser receive preferred treatment? Maybe - but if there's sufficient flow from eBay then I believe you need to understand! You got great service with your eBay experience and then complain about a 'Deal Direct' - that was your decision. I've never seen mention from others regarding anything but excellent service.

Dr Dons I would probably avoid these days for most services. There's certainly mention of 'less than thrilled' from them!

Old 08-19-2022, 11:20 AM
whostorm05
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe that there's much to consider here. Everyone has supply issues - everyone!! If there's an eBay offering from the same vendor for the same/similar 'service' then doing direct and saving a couple dollars might suffer. I'd think the vendors status with eBay is something they need to consider. Does the eBay purchaser receive preferred treatment? Maybe - but if there's sufficient flow from eBay then I believe you need to understand! You got great service with your eBay experience and then complain about a 'Deal Direct' - that was your decision. I've never seen mention from others regarding anything but excellent service.

Dr Dons I would probably avoid these days for most services. There's certainly mention of 'less than thrilled' from them!
I wasn't trying to imply that I received different treatment based on "how" I placed the order. I can totally understand the supply chain issue part of the equation. I have no idea if "how" I placed the order had any impact on processing time for my order.

I only posted to see if anyone else had placed an order and had similar issues. At the time I posted the USPS tracking number still showed the package had not been dropped off even though 10 days prior they indicated it would be sent that day. If they misplaced the package, were not done with the repair, whatever the reason they should have followed up with me to let me know. 2 months to repair 3 amps just seems excessive especially with the lack of communication. Once again, I understand the supply chain issues and if that is truly what caused the delays then I get it - but they shouldn't have told me on 8/8 "I just checked and amps were completed and is currently with the shipping department, I will make sure they will go out today" and then not actually ship them until the 18th.

Honesty is the best policy in all business transactions.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:47 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by whostorm05

Honesty is the best policy in all business transactions.
You're questioning the 'integrity' of the vendor now? **** happens!!
Old 08-19-2022, 11:53 AM
whostorm05
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You're questioning the 'integrity' of the vendor now? **** happens!!
I'm not sure why you are getting so worked up on this? Do you work for them or own the business?
WVZR-1 (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 12:40 PM
jrtoffroad
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I ordered a rebuilt speaker assembly from their ebay store on 04 Aug. It did not ship until 17 Aug and only after I called to check the status. Hopefully quality is good once I do finally receive it.
whostorm05 (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 02:48 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by whostorm05
I'm not sure why you are getting so worked up on this? Do you work for them or own the business?
Bothers me NOT but you seem to be particularly annoyed. Your nature I guess!
Old 08-19-2022, 03:55 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IHBD
Interesting comment that has my attention because I am getting close to sending in my 90's head unit for CD and Tape Transport repairs prior to putting the car up for sale. I was going to contact Dr. Dons for his services. I just looked at his website, and I think the cost has gone up markedly since I looked earlier this year. It is now $700, I believe it was $350 previously, but I'm not sure. Even at $700, a working stock radio adds at least this amount of value to the saleability of a 'low mileage' ZR-1, hence my interest in getting the Bose repaired and reinstalled.

I haven't seen anything negative regarding Dr. Don, but I don't open every thread (probably only 1/4th of them), so I may have missed any feedback.

Please elaborate. What have you seen? Where should I go in lieu of Dr. Dons?
Thanks.
For what you're interested in I'd think you could be helped locally unless you wanted to purchase a 'warrantied' exchange of some sort.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:20 PM
whostorm05
Instructor

Received all three amps today. Only had time to install the front amp but so far so good.

I purchased two complete rear speakers with amps prior to sending the rear amps off for repair. The used speakers I have in there now for some reason have next to no bass which is why I went ahead and had the factory amps rebuilt. I'm going to throw one in and see how it sounds vs what's in there now and see if there's any difference. On the replacement speakers I bought from eBay, moving the bass **** does change the sound, but it goes from no bass to just a little bit of bass, sounds fine otherwise. No idea what the sound system in these cars sounded like straight from the factory. Even for the 80's and 90's I can't think this level of bass was considered acceptable so I'm hoping the new amps do the trick.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:39 PM
whostorm05
Instructor

Pleased to report both rear speakers sound great and I have bass!

I should have looked closer at the amps on those eBay speakers before I installed them. One was a "SIGMA 984 Front 173524-3119" and the other "Y COUPE F 16148749 171776-1307" which appears to be two front amps - sigh. No wonder there was no bass.Based on a quick google search that first one seems like it might have been from an Infiiti. lol

So would I use bosecentral again? Yes, I would.

Last edited by whostorm05; 08-20-2022 at 06:22 PM.
WVZR-1 (08-21-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 11:52 PM
meshies
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

They do good work. Recently orders have taken a bit longer but nothing crazy.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use Bose Central (bosecentral.com) recently for an amp repair?

Quick Reply: Anyone use Bose Central (bosecentral.com) recently for an amp repair?