C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Your own personal road course

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 07:56 PM
mash2k
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
I can give you a tip rt534 from rt224 north to Geneva is nice and rt224 east to rt225 to rt5.Rt225 is very interesting at 60mph you will think you are on a rollercoaster.It takes a few trips on it till you get to know it well enough though.

Thanks, as soon as summer hits I will try it!

The poor 91 CPE is resting in the garage for the winter.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Googan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sami85L98
Atlanta Sucks, period iam jealous of u guys have all those twisties and curves and even non-traffic roads where u can blast. The only curves and twisties for me is on interstate changing lanes from all the way 1st to 3rd than vice versa due to stupid sloooow drivers stays in left lane and talk on cell phones while driving like a granny style speed.

I agree.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:25 PM
SK.LT1
Burning Brakes

Kankamangus Highway,in the New Hampshire White Mountains at about 5:00am.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:50 PM
65coop
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Funny this post comes up as my son and I just did a 3 hour ralley (in our own mind ) in the back woods of Polk County here in Texas just last weekend... We had sport bikes pull us over and ask if they could follow as we had blown by them at speeds that I refuse to post - for obviouse reasons - But I will say that a guy on a Honda RC51 said to me "Holly $hit - that car will flat out take a corner better than my bike" - we pulled away from him by at least 4 car lengths exiting a long sweeper, but he pulled up next to me as we hit the strait...

This weekend (if the weather holds) one of my buddies with a Ferrari "Superameracana" plans to join us for another cruise through the "twisties" - If anyone else is interested, just send me an email or PM and I tell you where the start point will be.

The roads are fresh & clean asphalt and the neighbors or should I say "county folk" actually came out and gave us "thumbs up" on our second pass

We also go to TWS and the new Houston Motorsport ranch for a closed circuit, but to be honest.... we have had more fun on the back road
Old 01-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by mash2k
Thanks, as soon as summer hits I will try it!

The poor 91 CPE is resting in the garage for the winter.
There are several winerys near Geneva on 534 too makes for a good pit stop.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:43 PM
VinceC4
Pro

Default here in Connecticut

The Merritt parkway at about 7am on a Sunday morning..heading north..twisty, hilly..it has it all..of course this time of the year one will always find a few ice patches to make it interesting
Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 AM
Shawn_65
Pro

you guys need to visit me in Cambria hoping to see a cf member before I die...

I work at a Texico, and my white vette is always parked on the other side of the street. looking into UPS...
Old 01-19-2006, 02:09 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn_65

I work at a Texico, and my white vette is always parked on the other side of the street. looking into UPS...
Do these look familiar (hint, check the filename)

Old 01-19-2006, 02:25 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,020 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Worst thing about LSU is that I dont have mountains to drive through anymore. That was something I always liked at Clemson.

If I ever get rich I'm building my own roadcourse.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:28 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Nestled in the mountains of Southern New Mexico is a little resort town about 4 blocks long called Cloudcroft. It's situated in the Lincoln National Forest, about 8700 feet up, about 90 miles north of El Paso.

The drive from Cloudcroft to Mescalero is about 35 miles of winding road through some of the most pristine forest I've ever seen. And it's a great place to exercise the Vette....with one small caveat...

About half the drive is on the Mescalero Indian Reservation. And the BIA cops LOVE to give tickets to anything with Texas plates. But you can still have loads of fun in the twisties without arousing their interest if you're careful.

If I just want to take a little sojourn around the city, there's great driving to be had. The Franklin mountains run right through the middle of El Paso, separating the West and Northeast sides of the city. Transmountain Road connects the two sides right over the mountain. It's 12 miles of great views of the city and winding road. I live right at the foothills on the Northeast side, so I head over the mountain, then head north on I-10 for about 5 miles to highway 404 which cuts the other direction through the mountain via Anthony gap to "War Highway", which connects Northeast El Paso to White Sands Missile Range. It's about a 40 mile loop.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:15 AM
joecaver
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Nestled in the mountains of Southern New Mexico is a little resort town about 4 blocks long called Cloudcroft.

I love Cloudcroft I few years ago we spent a couple of weeks touring NM and we stopped in Cloudcroft and spent some time in the little shops there. When I think about going back to NM that is one of the places that I would definately want to visit again. Beautiful area. I would love to do the drive you described.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by joecaver
I love Cloudcroft I few years ago we spent a couple of weeks touring NM and we stopped in Cloudcroft and spent some time in the little shops there. When I think about going back to NM that is one of the places that I would definately want to visit again. Beautiful area. I would love to do the drive you described.
It's absolutely gorgeous. The wife and I take the 5th wheel up and camp whenever we get the chance. The old train trellis is really cool, the shops and restaurants are great, and the scenery can't be beat.

The drive between Cloudcroft and Mescalero is breathtaking. It's fun to run the car through the twisties on the way there, and then just cruise and relax on the way back. Around dusk, watch out for deer or an occasional bear crossing the road too.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:47 PM
flannel_man
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I love those drives ! I used to go from EP to Roswell and back once a month for the heck of it after a long hard week.

Here we have a place we all call Gooseneck Bend. 15 - 20 minutes in some hilly woods lots of twisties
Old 01-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Mrs. glass car
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shawn_65

The wife and I go to Cambria several times a year down hwy 1. next time we are there will make a point of filling up at the Texico.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by flannel_man
I love those drives ! I used to go from EP to Roswell and back once a month for the heck of it after a long hard week.

Here we have a place we all call Gooseneck Bend. 15 - 20 minutes in some hilly woods lots of twisties
There are a couple of good places to wind the Vette up a bit in Roswell as well....Bottomless Lakes State Park, the lower road around the smaller lakes is a hoot in a sports car.

Gimme a shout next time you're heading here and we'll go tear up some asphalt.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Shawn_65
Pro

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Do these look familiar (hint, check the filename)

Nice CentralCoaster, I love the wheather in on the west coast
Old 01-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster

I've done more laps on that course than anyone else in the world.
Geez CC - I hang out in your neck of the woods often. Usually I bring my biology classes over to morro bay for 3 days every semester. and when I can't take the Fresno heat - thats where I go to eat fish and chips and cool down.!

Carl Johansson

Get notified of new replies

To Your own personal road course

Old 01-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

This thread is working out great.Everyone will find some new places to run and friends to meet.Couldn't be better.I really like the map thing we need more.Keep them coming.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:18 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Hiway 178 out of Bakersfield to Lake Isabella. Its not a fast road but it will keep you on your toes. Its not a forgiving road 2-3 people a year go off of the road in a sheer drop to the Kern River below.

Hiway 33 thru Coalinga is a really good motorcycle road.
Hiway 155 is a challenge for the brave of heart.
Hiway 9 can be real trouble for those who over drive thier skills.
Hiway 17 at night is a hoot. Many the time I came across metal scrapes crossing both lanes to come around a corner to see a BMW upside down in the ditch.
355 aciddents a year on 17.

If your ever in California go and see Death Valley good roads, very steep in some areas.
178 to 395 north to Death Valley is a nice drive with plenty of curves.

Whatever road you use never over drive your skills. Ill push 70% thats it. 43 years of driving expierence and I only have one goal on any trip and thats to get there unharmed.
The one thing that riding a motorcycle teaches you is never take your eye off of the road. On two wheels your never really in charge.
Havent had a ticket since 1987.
Have fun but be carefull.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Socky
Advanced

Hey, CentralCoaster, you San Deigo guys have some awsome roads down there. I've been down 94 alot unfortunatly in something larger than the Vette, hauling beer from Tecate in a big truck. I've gone all the way east to where it hooks back up with I-8. Pretty slow, but a great ride. I hop e that someday I can cruze it in The Vette, A great ride in CO [ and there are plenty] is out of Denver on US 285 to Pine Junction. Follow the signs south to Deckers, and CO-67 to Woodland Park,on US 24 To Colo. Springs , To I-25 (bummer) north to Monument, to CO-105 to 67 to 85 and MIle High. You got to watch the weather but it can be done year round. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Your own personal road course