C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

92 VATS or just Dead Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:59 PM
rickc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 VATS or just Dead Battery?

About two months ago I put the cover on the 92 for the winter. About one month ago, one night when my wife and I came home from work at the same time, the alarm went off as we were pulling into the drive. No idea why. I opened the door with the key and the alarm stopped. I didn't think anything about it. This morning I needed to drive it to get the emissions tested. Got in the car and tried to start it. Nothing! Car was dead. Didn't have time to check battery but I know the battery was replaced not to long before I purchased the car.

Did the VATS do something to the electrical system when the alarm went off or do you think it's just the battery? Tomorrow I will check the battery.

Thanks for your help!

Rick
Old 01-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

It sounds like you could have either problem, checking the battery, of course, is the easiest. If it ends up the battery is ok, then the VATS could be to blame. I have installed the VATS bypass on all of my cars because I got stranded one too many times for VATS related issues.

Good luck, hope it is a simple fix.
C.J.

84 Z51
84 Z52
90 ZR-1
92 ZR-1
02 ZR-2
Old 01-12-2006, 09:51 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You don't have a VATS problem ! You have a low battery problem ! The theft detterent system which sounded the alarm (VATS does not sound an alarm, it prevents starting if you don't have the correct ignition key) did so because the battery voltage got so low the alarm system quit working correctly and sounded the horn.
You must not read any of my posts about letting car batteries sit for long (4+ wks) periods. Here goes again for the millionth time. Lead acid batteries self discharge up to 1% each day even disconnected and as they discharge lead sulphate collects on their plates. Lead sulphate is a good insulator and a fully sulphated battery is a door stop. If you want normal battery life, then you should keep your battery charged up when not in use. The best way is to buy a battery tender which measures the battery voltage and only charges the battery to keep it charged up and then shuts off. If you already have a battery charger, then buy an interval timer at the hardware store (turns your home lights on each night when you aren't home) and have it charge your battery each day on its minimum interval (usually 15 mins), but an hour a day won't harm your battery and you can leave your battery connected, its perfectly safe to do so. You can try charging your battery back up for 24 hours with a charger, but do not think you can drive your car for 1/2 hour or so and the alternator will do it. Discharged batteries draw high charging current at first and this heats the alternator and shortens its life. Alternators are for maintaining a battery, not charging dead ones up!
You can tell the state of charge of a battery by measuring the voltage across the battery terminals. 12.0 volts and below, discharged. 12.9 volts and above, fully charged and linear in between. Example, 12.5 volts, 50% charged.
Also, every time you deep discharge a car battery and charge it back up, you lose some amphour capacity and after a few cycles, you have the equivalent of a motorcycle battery, so it is important to KEEP your battery charged. Got that?
Lead acid batteries do not like sitting around for long periods doing nothing!
Old 01-13-2006, 07:54 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 283 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by jfb
You don't have a VATS problem ! You have a low battery problem ! The theft detterent system which sounded the alarm (VATS does not sound an alarm, it prevents starting if you don't have the correct ignition key) did so because the battery voltage got so low the alarm system quit working correctly and sounded the horn.
You must not read any of my posts about letting car batteries sit for long (4+ wks) periods. Here goes again for the millionth time. Lead acid batteries self discharge up to 1% each day even disconnected and as they discharge lead sulphate collects on their plates. Lead sulphate is a good insulator and a fully sulphated battery is a door stop. If you want normal battery life, then you should keep your battery charged up when not in use. The best way is to buy a battery tender which measures the battery voltage and only charges the battery to keep it charged up and then shuts off. If you already have a battery charger, then buy an interval timer at the hardware store (turns your home lights on each night when you aren't home) and have it charge your battery each day on its minimum interval (usually 15 mins), but an hour a day won't harm your battery and you can leave your battery connected, its perfectly safe to do so. You can try charging your battery back up for 24 hours with a charger, but do not think you can drive your car for 1/2 hour or so and the alternator will do it. Discharged batteries draw high charging current at first and this heats the alternator and shortens its life. Alternators are for maintaining a battery, not charging dead ones up!
You can tell the state of charge of a battery by measuring the voltage across the battery terminals. 12.0 volts and below, discharged. 12.9 volts and above, fully charged and linear in between. Example, 12.5 volts, 50% charged.
Also, every time you deep discharge a car battery and charge it back up, you lose some amphour capacity and after a few cycles, you have the equivalent of a motorcycle battery, so it is important to KEEP your battery charged. Got that?
Lead acid batteries do not like sitting around for long periods doing nothing!
Nice job---good post.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:47 AM
rickc
Instructor

Thanks so much for the info. I was wondering if the alarm could set off if the battery drained. Got my answer. You guys are great! Thanks again.
Rick
Old 01-13-2006, 01:24 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

jfb, i don't quite understand what you mean. Can you repeat that explanation to me again in a different way?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:42 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I did !

Get notified of new replies

To 92 VATS or just Dead Battery?

Quick Reply: 92 VATS or just Dead Battery?