Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 05:22 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by CaptRat
Prices vary from region to region, but I think $13,5K is too much for a car in that condition that needs a clutch and tires. Both of those are fairly big ticket items.

I bought my '95 Polo Green, 6-speed coupe for $10.5K at the end of October in my local area, Atlanta (where everyone thinks their vette is made of gold.) It's in great condition with 67,400 miles and came with all maintenance records. It shows a little wear on the drivers seat bolster (not as much as many cars I looked at with fewer miles) but otherwise is remarkably clean inside. I was looking for a bare bones car that I could maintain and modify myself without worrying about all the creature comfort technology (Bose, climate control, LTPWS, etc.) that always seems to crap out first. So it's not equiped with many options, but everything it has works. The paint is very good with a couple of parking lot blemishes. The only thing it needed was tires.

During my search I found that a car like this was normally $13K to $17K, depending on what the seller thought he could get. Take your time and be patient and you'll find the car you want at a fair price. I spent about four months just browsing and two months of serious shopping before I found my vette.

Good luck!
I believe this is very good advice. If you take your time, study the various places where cars are being offered for sale, you will find a trend. Not only of asking prices, but selling prices as well. Then, as you keep searching you will eventually find the one for you, and it could very well be a helluva good deal, or just exactly the one you want and maybe just an average deal.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:04 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

If you got the money....ZR1 or a Grand Sport. End of discussion
Old 12-14-2005, 10:27 PM
87vette
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black84
There are NO bad years for the Corvette.
Just get what you like and looks good to you.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:39 PM
southpaw3519
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hammertimeco
I'm going to buy a C4 and have done about 30hrs of research on this forum as to what year might be best for me. I live in Denver Colorado and will drive the vette for pleasure 6-8 months out of the year. I like the square tailights better and Black is the color for me. I'm not sure which engine to get LT4 or LT1? I would like a vert 6 speed if I get a deal on one otherwise a coupe will do. I'll do most repairs myself and own air tools etc. At this point I'm not interested in racing the car although I did put nitrous on my snowmobile he he.
I'm looking for input as to what everyone else thinks is the best year and suspension package. Also what years will give me trouble. I look forward to any information you can provide. I have heard 89 is a good year and am wondering why? Thanks for posting!
The right year is the car that is right for you. They all have pros and cons. Don't pass a special buy because of what some told you to hold out for aside from taking your time and let the car come to you, you'll know.... it will. It took almost a year for mine to park itself in my lap.... Just me for what it's worth.... Rich
Old 12-14-2005, 10:43 PM
Maggs
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by southpaw3519
The right year is the car that is right for you. They all have pros and cons. Don't pass a special buy because of what some told you to hold out for aside from taking your time and let the car come to you, you'll know.... it will. It took almost a year for mine to park itself in my lap.... Just me for what it's worth.... Rich
How slow is the 84 vette compared to the 300 HP LT1's?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:19 AM
koolaid117
Advanced

Black - Check
Square Taillights - Check
6 Speed - Check
Coupe - Check (No convertibles available)

1990 ZR-1

That is, of course, just my humble opinion.

Jim
Old 12-15-2005, 01:05 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Any year you can afford will do
Old 12-15-2005, 02:04 AM
DocSpeed
Racer

I would say any LT1 or LT4 C4 is a good start if speed is what you desire.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:32 PM
AILERON
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scranage
Huh? I just replaced all my hoses on a 92 LT1 with hoses from gmpartsdirect mostly, although I was also able to get them at NAPA. I took the NAPA upper hoses back mistakenly thinking they were the wrong ones because of the HUGE difference in diameter from the ones that came off. Then the GM hoses came in, and looked like the ones I had returned to NAPA. Amazing how much the old hoses had swelled. I didn't notice the same effect on the lower radiator hose which I also replaced, same story with the heater hoses.
Most everybody carries the upper and lower radiator hoses. When you start looking for the other 7 or 8 water hoses (heater core in/out, TB, oil cooler) you're going to hear "Chevrolet discontinued that hose." We're caught in the middle between Chev dropping parts and the aftermarket not having had time to build them yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time but when your car is down, it's no fun, is it?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought this 92 6 speed last week. Buy the best one you can afford. I got it for a little over 10 U.S. It needs tires. I'm very happy I got a good Lt1 for this price.

Quick Reply: What is the best year of C4 to buy?