Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Chipmunks hiding acorns in my hood, how do I get them out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 03:55 AM
AZC4Guy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a cat in there. They don't make very much noise as they roll around and the chipmunks will stya away.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:34 AM
Morley
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goingc4
Don't use your shop vac as that probably has too much hp and may burn up due to lack of input air. The house vac
Don't worry about your Shop Vac, it won't "burn up" doing that, since the air it draws in doesn't go through the motor it isn't used for cooling (My Dad was head design engineer at Shop Vac). HOWEVER! your standard houshold vac DOES pass the air through the motor and uses it for cooling, so you would burn it up.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:00 AM
87 rag
Drifting

Taking out one or both lights sounds like a good plan.
I didn't realize it was open behind them.
This may work. I'll try a combination of most things posted.
I think the previous owner of my car kept it in a barn for a couple of years. I have taken out two mouse nests and repaired an bunch of wires and vacuum lines. One nest was behind the breadbox. It was a small one compared to the one behind the radio. I was having trouble with my delco and just figured it was a POS. Bought all new stuff and went to do the swap. This is when I found the nest and all the damaged wires. I still put the new system in but I bet the old one would have worked fine after fixing the wires.
The major pain was that all the vacuum lines for the heater and A/C controlls were chewed as well.
I scabbed in some sections to make it work but this winter I plan on replacing the bundle. This I'm not looking forward to.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Saisling
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Put a black snake in there.

Years ago I had a Mach1 Mustang that, after finishing a restoration to about 90%, I moved out of state and stored the car at my parents for a year until I was ready for it. When I went to goet it, I was afraid to see what all my underhood detail work and even all my brand new carpet and seat upholstery looked like. I had always had trouble with mice in my cars there... (eating insulation off of plug wires, chewing upholstery, ect ect)

Anyway, i was surprised to find the car in pretty much pristine condition. So while I was standing over the fender after doing some tune up work and adjusting the carb, my friend on the other side of the car says "If I tell you something, will you promise not to freak out?" I was like, yeah, whatever... He says "DO NOT move, but look down at your right hand." I glance down at my right hand and see that a black snake has poked his head (and about 8" of his body) out of one of the holes in the inner fender and is about an inch from my right hand.

I stood there watching him and he moved up, arcing over my hand and went down into a hole on the other side of my hand (so his body was looped over my hand) he then proceeded to move himself back into the inner fender.

Long story short, we finally got that sucker out of there (and he wasn't happy). He was about 10'-11' long. Looked like he was well fed. Probably had a lot of mouse dinners I'm sure he'd have been just as content with chipmunks.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:18 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AFogleman
Chipmonks ate a lot of my cars wiring.Under the hood and stored nuts in all the vents.I'm still chasing down shorts
I heard the same about mice looking for a spot through the winter, and chewing up wiring under the fuel rails. MO do whatever to get rid of the pesky little varmints
Old 10-05-2005, 11:30 AM
87 rag
Drifting

Saisling, good story. All the snakes around here are well fed too but it's getting cold for them now.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:21 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I hear mothballs will keep rodents out of there...
Old 10-05-2005, 03:20 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AZC4Guy
Put a cat in there.
Try a bullsnake....low maintenance, quiet, lethal on rodents.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 10-05-2005, 09:29 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by onedef92
I hear mothballs will keep rodents out of there...
Well they sure as hell smelled up my parents house many moons ago.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:27 PM
behnevette
Pro

Default Sure-fire chipmunk lure

Keep the chipmunks busy with this

Last edited by behnevette; 10-05-2005 at 10:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Chipmunks hiding acorns in my hood, how do I get them out?