C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What States should I avoid

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 02:10 AM
tippi77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What States should I avoid

Hi, I am looking at buying a C4 from the good old US to replace my 77 which I have just sold.

What I want to know is what US states should I avoid re having salt and chemicals on their roads over winter.

I know a lot of UK cars are stuffed by rust after driving on salty roads over winter and want to avoid importing a "rust bucket" to New Zealand.

(And no, New Zealand is not a scam Eastern Eurpore or Afrcan nation)

but we are nuclear free which is a plus !!

Old 09-28-2005, 08:07 AM
sonomacrew01
Burning Brakes

If you draw an imaginary line across the bottom of Virginia to the bottom of Utah and shoot it up towards northern California, these are the states that will see snowfall in the winter. More severe to the north. There have been instances where snowfall was reported in the lower 48 states as well but I would imagine that most people ( I say most but I'm sure that there are those who still drive it in the winter) do not drive their car during the winter. I am sure that if you are to buy, the seller will post some pictures of the undercarraige.

good luck
Old 09-28-2005, 08:16 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

I purchased a Florida vette and couldn't be happier. No salt, no snow and winters. Just warm temps all year- round.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:24 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I don't think you will have a problem with most Corvettes from the "rustbelt" states. Most of us park our baby before the snow flys and don't take them out until the following spring. I usually wait to take mine out of storage until after the first rain storm of April. This means that any salt that is still on the road has been washed away.
If the car is low mileage then you can be quite sure that it has not been driven in the winter.
Your best bet is to find the car you want and then have a Forum member go look at it for you.
If you find one in Michigan I will be glad to do this.
Here is a nice site that lists Corvettes by their state: www.corvettetrader.com
Old 09-28-2005, 09:03 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A car that was near an ocean and or parked outside most of it's life, can be just as oxidized as a northern car, sometimes more....need to look, I think a good one can be found in any state, as most guys have other vehicles, garages etc. and it really depends on WHO owned and took care of it.
All states can have issues if left outside quite a bit, while arizona is a good choice for no rot, vinyl, plastic, and leather will take a beating if left in the sun all of the time (southern cars can heve similar issues).
I still believe the snow belt can offer some excellent ex., as most that own em up here park em as soon as it gets cold, have other rides etc. Again it all goes back to the owner who just has one, or has it well kept. MO

Last edited by mseven; 09-28-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:10 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

have the seller send you a really complete video of the car.that should save you from any cosmetic problems or a rusted frame.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:36 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As others have stated the farther into the rust belt you go the better off you probably are since most Vette drivers don't get their cars wet or icy. This means that the more miserable the weather the shorter the driving season the more pampered the car becomes! Mine never get wet
Old 09-28-2005, 10:13 AM
RocketSapp
Pro

Pull a carFax if you can as well. I bought mine in Texas but found out with the CarFax that it was orgnally bought in New Jersey. It was there for about 4 years then came to Texas.

Tim
Old 09-28-2005, 10:20 AM
ZumZum
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be extra, extra careful of any cars from the Texas, Louisiana area as they may have spent a week or 2 submerged underwater.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:44 AM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look in Southern California autotrader zip code 90041.
Northern Cal. 95018 Central Cal 93727.

Arizona is a good place to look also Nevada.
Northern Oregon is not great, rust.
South Western Texas is good.

Avoid the rust belt.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:05 AM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 177 Likes on 81 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by ZumZum
be extra, extra careful of any cars from the Texas, Louisiana area as they may have spent a week or 2 submerged underwater.

Plenty of warnings being circulated throughout the states to watch for cars being sold by unscrupulous persons.
Louisiana doesn't make dealers mark the titles of vehicles that have been "TOTALED". So some car that has been wiped out by the storms can be refurbished and sold as a "clean" vehicle.

I can recommend Wisconsin as a good place to buy, according to GM, because in their latest recall for brake problems, we're not in the rust belt; gloomed from the Milwaukee Urinal-Sentinal;

"But even though Wisconsin uses generous amounts of salt to clear its wintry roads, General Motors doesn't consider the Badger state part of the "salt belt" and did not include it in the recall for about 804,000 vehicles. Models involved are 1999-2002 model years Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Tahoe, and GMC Sierra, Yukon and Yukon XL."
Old 09-28-2005, 11:32 AM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aboatguy
As others have stated the farther into the rust belt you go the better off you probably are since most Vette drivers don't get their cars wet or icy. This means that the more miserable the weather the shorter the driving season the more pampered the car becomes! Mine never get wet
With aboatguy eaven though he is in the minority he dose drive in **** weather. Another thing to consider is nearly all the northern cars see no driving for 3 or 4 months of the year this as a average equates to lower mileage cars check this out I purchased both of my vetts from privet party's from here. www.carsoup.com Rite now is a good time to get a vette in the north winter is coming if you do find something of of interest I would be certain some one here on the forum would be glad to check it out for you if you ask. Good luck
Old 09-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketSapp
Pull a carFax if you can as well. I bought mine in Texas but found out with the CarFax that it was orgnally bought in New Jersey. It was there for about 4 years then came to Texas.

Run a carfax, see where the car was owned, how many owners and the average miles per year.
If the milage indicates it was a daily driver, please avoid any car from New Jersey, everything is stop & go & potholes here.

Also, I'd avoid any car that had too many owners, because one of them may have beat the crap out of it and never changed the oil.
Always buy someones 'baby'.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Hogan
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
I don't think you will have a problem with most Corvettes from the "rustbelt" states. Most of us park our baby before the snow flys and don't take them out until the following spring. I usually wait to take mine out of storage until after the first rain storm of April. This means that any salt that is still on the road has been washed away.
If the car is low mileage then you can be quite sure that it has not been driven in the winter.
Your best bet is to find the car you want and then have a Forum member go look at it for you.

I live in Michigan and she has never seen snow as you can see by this pic.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I'd stay away from any coastal area and anything north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:57 PM
ZumZum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I'd stay away from any coastal area and anything north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Whats' that leave? Arizona? New Mexico?
Old 09-28-2005, 04:34 PM
illinest
Pro

just have one of us check it out, if you can. If you locate a Vette in central Pennsylvania, I can go check it out and take pictures for you too. I'm sure there are others who would do the same, this forum is full of good guys.

Get notified of new replies

To What States should I avoid

Old 09-28-2005, 06:24 PM
AZC4Guy
Drifting

Arizona is a fine place to buy used cars. If you find one in the Phoenix area, PM me and I'll have a look at ir for ya, take all the important pics.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't avoid any States. I think the majority of Vette owners wouldn't drive their cars on salty or snow covered roads. Some do of course but I don't think they are the majority.

Consider the plus side of buying one from a State that has real winters....more than likely they are stored 4 - 6 months of the year so they will probably have less miles on them on average. My '95 is stored 6 months of the year, only 44k miles.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:12 PM
thecatmac
Burning Brakes

This is the 3rd thread from the Great Lakes State of Michigan. Mine never sees rain, sleet, or snow either, I agree with the above statements. Stay away from more than 3 owners, do a carfax, and stay away from Louisiana and Texas. Too bad about that, I am sure there are and use to be some great cars down there! But how can you take the chance of buying something that could have been sitting in water for a period of time. Anyhow, if you see one around Metro Detroit, I too would be happy to help you!

Quick Reply: What States should I avoid