Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

my vette my be TOAST!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Admrl94
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Well I hope it was agreed the incident was his fault. You were, ummm, what's the word I'm looking for...PARKED!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:13 AM
saniterium
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Admiral1
Well I hope it was agreed the incident was his fault. You were, ummm, what's the word I'm looking for...PARKED!
Eh thats nothing. When I was in my old Rustang in a drivethough line, some guy in his Mexican worker truck decided it would be smart to put the thing in reverse (while in the driveththrough line) and FLOOR it into my car. It turned out the guy was an illegal (no suprise for San Diego), and he had fled the country right after the insident, and getting his burger.

Last edited by saniterium; 09-02-2005 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:45 AM
RIISITAS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
I and others are glad you were out of the car when Stupid decided to turn off his driving brain. Glad you're ok.

I have to disagree with good thoughts about Geico. They've got a small rep for trying to force shops to use cheap parts, and I do mean cheap. As in foreign, thinner and next to worthless.

I also live in the area of their HQ and know a bit more about them from acquaintances. Interesting company in some not so nice ways.

But with perseverance on your part, you'll come out of this ok and so will your car. Just be aware: this is business, and your job is to get your car fixed right (not lecturing you; just an observation).

As you said, the more important things are happening to the west of you. Show us how it all turns out for the "AFTER" shot.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:48 AM
joecaver
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

that really sux big time. I hope they get it back to you quickly.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Aquaman92
Le Mans Master

Yikes but at least the idiot had insurance.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:30 AM
RubyDropTop
Instructor

Holy Crap!! Those pictures make me sick; what the heck is wrong with people? You are much calmer than I would be.

I'd be looking to beat some @ss over that one.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LSUgoTIGER
I have every intention of demanding nothing but genuine GM parts and that it be fixed back to exact factory specs. I was already in need of new shocks.....so maybe there is a possibility that the rears will be lumped into the estimate.....if not I'll probably have them go ahead and replace them anyway while they have it torn apart.

Maybe there is just some sort of magnet in that rear drivers side......some of you may remember a few months back, when I had it parked at the dealership for AC work, and their delivery truck backed into the same exact spot, but not near as much damage....

Mate, i reckon you have every right to demand Genuine GM parts and NOTHING LESS!! The car was perfect before the guy hit it, it should be equally as perfect after it is fixed. And considering your paint looked so nice before hand, i would even request a full repsray using OEM or better. After all, if it wasnt for the insurance company's client, that they agreed to insure hitting your car it would still be perfect!!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:22 PM
OdinsRage
Instructor

insurance companies suck. Progressive sucks also, when their client t-boned my ex-camaro SS, the adjuster said 2,000 dollars, and it as more like 8 or 9,000. Then they sent the body shop used window glass that was chipped,

then the body shop did a junk job themselves and it took me like 3 months to get my car and it shoulda been done in 3-4 weeks

ever had a body shop tell you "oh yea itll be done tommorow" For like 2 weeks straight?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Jttheerman
Intermediate

Ths one jsut falls into the Jesus F%$#@* Christ category. I don't mean to balsfeme, but I'm from Mass. that's just what we do.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:56 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OdinsRage
insurance companies suck. Progressive sucks also, when their client t-boned my ex-camaro SS, the adjuster said 2,000 dollars, and it as more like 8 or 9,000. Then they sent the body shop used window glass that was chipped,

then the body shop did a junk job themselves and it took me like 3 months to get my car and it shoulda been done in 3-4 weeks

ever had a body shop tell you "oh yea itll be done tommorow" For like 2 weeks straight?
I worked in a body shop for many years and your car will sit in the lot till the insurance company oks the repair. By the time its ok to start on your car many others are 1st in line.

It sucks but thats the way it works, and your right the insurance co and the body shop has the option to use used parts or Chinese parts.

Used OEM parts are better especially if used on a Corvette, new aftermarket parts rarely fit requiring many hours of rework to get them to match up with the OEM parts. Then they don't take the paint as well.

The Chinese parts are even worse, the door gaps are not even close.
Hoods are too small making the gap between the fenders and the hood huge, thier poorly made out of inferior metal and stamping.

The fenders are terrible.
Body shops in general are dark, dirty, holes with crap all over the place.
Of course you do have a choice as to which shop does the repair but thats your only choice.

If you think having your car damaged sucks wait till you have to file a claim to get your home repaired. Our house was flooded by a nieghbor who denied it, he flooded our house twice. The last time it 3-4" of water in 60% of the house. That was 6 weeks ago and we have gotten nothing from his insurance. Its the old the checks in the mail.

If we use our insurance we get black balled and put on a list our rates go up and we may have our policy canceled. Which means the bank adds thier own coverage to the tune of $3,000 a year.

Insurance is a racket it always has been.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:06 PM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Good Luck
Old 09-02-2005, 01:39 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

The hatch glass didnt break?

Sorry about that. I just rebuilt the rear of my 'Vette this past winter. It's actually not too bad... at least the insurance sounds like its doing its job
Old 09-02-2005, 02:12 PM
LSUgoTIGER
Instructor

I called the shop that I've been taking it to here in fort myers, to tell them what happened, and to see if they could even do the amount of work that was going to be required, and they're not equipped to do all the body work and such, but he referred me to another shop in town that has been in business for 30 or 40 years that he's friends with the owners, and he highly recommended them.

But after telling him the extent of the damage, he said he would be amazed if they didn't total it. How exactly does that work? I looked up my car on kelley blue book, but should I expect the trade-in value? retail? wholesale? '93 with 120k on it. KBB says retail is just over 10k, and I only paid $6700 for it close to 2 years ago at 91k miles. Hopefully if they total it, I'll get enough out of it to be able to get right into another vette of at least the same quality, but hopefully better.

Any advice would be appreciated, I've never gone through any of this before.

I have also been talking to people at work today, and several people have highly recommended taking it to the cadillac dealership, because they're one of the few GM dealerships here with their own body shop. And so far everyone has said that they do really great work, and will definitely use all GM factory parts......what do you think?

Last edited by LSUgoTIGER; 09-02-2005 at 02:38 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I recently was hit by a guy who ran a redlight. He admitted it and accepted full blame. His ins co came to look at the vehicle(work truck, not the vette). We came very close to totaled. I asked him what value system they used. Nada, Kelley etc. He said the insurance co's have there own system they use, and would not further comment. I suspect that the "system" they use will underate your car. In my case not totaled. Also not happy overall. I will make it up on the punitive damages. A lawyer is needed sometimes. Ins co's will not generally co operate until your attorney makes the first call. Usually, you go from the outhouse to the penthouse when he calls.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:34 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibuyvettes
I've been hit by a few of thier clients,

Larry
code5coupe
Old 09-02-2005, 06:55 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LSUgoTIGER
I called the shop that I've been taking it to here in fort myers, to tell them what happened, and to see if they could even do the amount of work that was going to be required, and they're not equipped to do all the body work and such, but he referred me to another shop in town that has been in business for 30 or 40 years that he's friends with the owners, and he highly recommended them.

But after telling him the extent of the damage, he said he would be amazed if they didn't total it. How exactly does that work? I looked up my car on kelley blue book, but should I expect the trade-in value? retail? wholesale? '93 with 120k on it. KBB says retail is just over 10k, and I only paid $6700 for it close to 2 years ago at 91k miles. Hopefully if they total it, I'll get enough out of it to be able to get right into another vette of at least the same quality, but hopefully better.

Any advice would be appreciated, I've never gone through any of this before.

I have also been talking to people at work today, and several people have highly recommended taking it to the cadillac dealership, because they're one of the few GM dealerships here with their own body shop. And so far everyone has said that they do really great work, and will definitely use all GM factory parts......what do you think?
Well, I don't know what you'd do but this is what I did.
I got the autotrader and found 3 cars the same as mine and I insisted that they pay me the middle price which they did.

Its called "replacement cost".
Old 09-02-2005, 07:09 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry to hear and SEE

Get notified of new replies

To my vette my be TOAST!!!

Old 09-02-2005, 07:57 PM
vetteboy88
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I hope he didn't mess up that information display cover plate I sent you!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:39 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

How could he have not seen that car!! Glad you werent in it, and that it stands a good chance of getting fixed.

kdf
Old 09-03-2005, 12:49 AM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 545 Likes on 288 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

And what exactly did the other guy say after he picked himself off the ground after you punched his frikin' lights out for being such and idiot?

Quick Reply: my vette my be TOAST!!!