C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

87 corvette modded out like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Sintex
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 corvette modded out like crazy

Hey guys, i am new to the forum. Just talked to a guy this weekend about his 87 corvette. He wants 6000 for it and here is what it includes. The stock 87 corvette with a c5 conversion body kit already installed. The original body panels. Momo steering wheel. Brand new 350 ported out (not sure just how far though) beefed up engine though, brand new transmission (auto) and rebuilt steering column. The frame was bead blasted and powder coated to prevent rust. There is all brand new interior, coil over springs, brand new tires with new rims...

yadda yadda i cant even list all the upgrades for this car. Estimated around 400 hp when all is said and done

only catch is, it is partially disassembled meaning that the engine and trans are mounted to the frame, the kit is there (unattached fenders though), tires are on, etc. Everything else needs to be hooked up and what not.

What im asking is: is this a good deal? I know a little bit about cars, but my mechanic buddies will be helping with the tough stuff. I want to install a car pc into it as well. Any tips or suggestions? Also, how much do you think this car would be worth when completed? thanks
Old 08-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It depends on what you want the car for. To be perfectly honest with you, you are not going to get any positive feedback on the C5 body kit. They are typically very ill fitting at best, they don't really look like a C4 and they tend to ruin the look of a C4, but that's just my opinion.

As far as the engine, I would demand a list of what exactly "beefed up" means. Odds are if somebody put a C5 body kit on it, they probably think that an air foil and a fuel pressure regulator means 100 extra horsepower.

I would be extremely skeptical. It sounds to me like somebody got this body kit and was going to try to make a project car out of it until they figured out how poorly everything fits together and now he's trying to cut his losses.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Sintex
8th Gear

Default hrm

Well the c5 body kit was actually not a "kit" persay. He took body panels off of actual c5 cars and modded them to fit. The only thing that is a kit is the side skirts. I saw the kit and it actually fooled me. It looks like a c5 except for the top which is a little more squared than the c5. I wish i could explain all the mods. It has been lowered a little which gives it an incredibly sexy look with that body kit. The tires are huge. Its got the original targa top. The guy has over $6000 in just new parts for the thing. From what was told to me, this guy knows someone who hooked him up with a really nice engine for this car. It is a 350 that was ported over and aparantly painted/coated for rust prevention and stuff. I can get a list of all the additions and such. I just want to see what everyone thought about it.

Aside from the body kit, does it sound intriguing for $6000 ? clear title?

ill hunt for that list and post it as soon as i have it
Old 08-22-2005, 09:55 AM
BIGBYRD1993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In XI, XII Veteran
NCM Lifetime Member & Ambassador

I'd probably walk away personnally. As stated the body parts will no doubt need alot of work to make a good fit. And he's got himself in way over his Head and wants to get out..
But, if you and Buddies are decent fiberglass guys and Wrenches, offer him less. That is if you Guys up for a good challenge..
Old 08-22-2005, 10:34 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Darth Vader rides again.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:38 AM
MARDAG
Racer

Sounds like WAY too huge a project to me. For the time and money it's going to take you to get this car up and running, buy a ZR1 or a C3 big block.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Sintex
8th Gear

Okay.. im not sure if i stated this clear enough. The body kit is already on. It has been fitted and installed professionally. This guy does body work and works on cars all the time. It will need a paint job when all is said and done, but thats it as far as body work is concerned. The engine, trans, and everything else undercarriage is already mounted. It just needs to be plugged up and some of the extra performance parts need to be installed (such as the coil overs and other minor parts). Every part for the car is there. It even has all the stock parts (radio, body pieces, etc) that i think i could just sell on here or on ebay to some c4 restorers.
Maybe that helps, i should be getting a list of all the mods after 12 this evening

another question (is it fairly easy to do a auto-manual swap?) are there any major problems or issues you run into with the c4 vettes? thanks
Old 08-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Bombervette
Intermediate

smells fishy to me
Old 08-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds to me like you really like this car and you want to buy it. If that's the case, buy it.

As for the auto to manual swap you will need a clutch pedal, a slave cylinder, master cylinder, the transmission itself, torque arm, driveshaft, and it would be a very good idea to replace the rear differential itself. In short there is no way its gonna be cheap. Honestly I can see another 4 grand invested in the car before it is "how you want it" and by that time you could have bought an unmolested clean car.

What you'll find here is that although many of us are into modding our cars quite extensively, we like to do it ourselves. For most of us it is much better to start with a stone stock car that you know is untouched. In this manner you know you're not set to inherit somebody else's problems.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:30 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Bombervette
smells fishy to me
Amend on that one... but if it what you want... go for it
Old 08-22-2005, 01:20 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Geeeeeeeez, I've know alot of guys to bail on projects because of the need for money-a woman or just something else they chose to persue.
IF you can verify, and trust the guy-it seems you really want the car-go for it.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:52 PM
AZC4Guy
Drifting

post pics of this body kit. I've yet to see a c5 conversion that I liked.
Any responsible/legit person who has modded their vette will have a detailed list of the mods. If he can't supply one, walk away no matter how much you like the look.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Sintex
8th Gear

I really like the car, yes. I love the way it looks and i think it has a ton of visual and performance potential. HOWEVER, i don't want to get f-ed in this deal either. It does sound sort of fishy and i had the exact same suspicions that some of you have had. I just was wondering if any of you could give me some potential downfalls, tips, things to look for, etc. I know you guys always start with a clean slate, i normally would go that route too, however it seems that this guy has purchased the same parts i would buy had i been upgrading my c4. I personally like the c5 body style better than the c4 (slightly reminds me of a firebird or camaro, ick) Sorry, i know thats a bit of hypocrisy on this board lol. Anyways, i was just sort of looking around for tips and tricks. I was thinking about turbocharging the engine, seeing as how it is a much stronger engine than stock (which could take a beating themselves) I am open to any ideas or suggestions thanks for the input so far.

Also, i mentioned briefly on my first post about installing a car pc in the corvette. Has anyone tried this with their c4 ? Anything i should be aware of before tackling it? (i installed one in a friends toyota once, so i have a little experience ) thanks !
Old 08-22-2005, 06:25 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH

If the car needs painted and put back together (and you can't do the work yourself), you'll end up with a decent chunk of money getting it done . . . done right. Not to mention, you don't really know anythign about the drive train at this point.

I'd save the money, time, and hassle, and buy a later C4 or very early C5 if you like them. You'll be better off in the end.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:57 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Couple things to consider...

Why the body kit.....covering up what

Second, 400HP. Not all that moded. PLUS it's an ESTIMATE. If you're buying it for POWER I'd dyno it first. Don't trust "should be" or "on paper".

Personally, I'd run fast in the other direction.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Sintex
8th Gear

Okay im just going to explain this situation in detail first and foremost to clear up any issues. This guy is a mechanic and has been doing research on the mods and what not for the c4 vettes for some time. He and his son both do body work as a profession, the kit looks nice unpainted. I dont want to have any serious bias on this car, i am just trying to clear out any questions some of you may have. It was originally a running working, perfect shape c4 vette. However, todd (the guy with the vette) likes the look of the c5's better, he also wanted a beefier machine. He decided to mod out his original vette as he was very comfortable with it. After doing some research he begins buying parts here and there. He also received the brand new 350 engine from his friend. He got new tires, lowering coils, all sorts of stuff for the drive train and suspension. He got the frame bead blasted and powder coated and began working on the kit. The kit has been drilled, installed, bondoed, sanded, and is ready for primer and paint. The kit is currently on the car (minus the hood which was detached for work to be done on the engine). The interior has 2 brand new leather seats, and a new carpet kit for the car. The original vette only had around 45,000 miles on it (which is documented on the odo and various papers he has on the car) He does have a list of all the mods he has done and ones he has yet to install. Overall, the engine and nearly the entire front clip of the car is complete with mods installed, The only real work is basically "plugging" up the engine and the various mechanical components and then doing the interior. I plan on installing a carpc in this baby anyway, so i dont have any issue with starting on a scratch interior. He is willing to give me a money back guarantee on the car until i have it completed (guaranteeing correct parts purchased AND guaranteeing them on the car) He is also willing to give me a guarantee on the body work (basically, if i get a chipped bondo mark or a peeling sideskirt, he will fix or pay to be fixed. The guy is real serious about this car because he's poured money into it like crazy. One benefit to this is that i get all the original c4 body parts, which i will be selling pretty cheap probably on this site to you guys wanting to fix up your cars stock. The car was never wrecked, flooded, dinged, smacked, pissed in, puked on, or rode like a korean *****. I am actually planning on adding some things myself (posssible a TT kit and various other little goodies) I was looking for any suggestions regarding that as well. I hope that clears up the situation so that you guys know whats going on

BTW: he is selling the car because he just purchased a new house and needs the money (also, he is getting into crotch rockets)

Thanks guys! you have been really really helpful so far, i will have a list of mods asap im supposed to get a call from him at 8:30
Old 08-22-2005, 08:52 PM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

How mutch is this little dream boat?

Get notified of new replies

To 87 corvette modded out like crazy

Old 08-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Sintex
8th Gear

he wants $6000. i think i can get him to 5500 because i know him
Old 08-22-2005, 09:16 PM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
It sounds to me like you really like this car and you want to buy it. If that's the case, buy it.

As for the auto to manual swap you will need a clutch pedal, a slave cylinder, master cylinder, the transmission itself, torque arm, driveshaft, and it would be a very good idea to replace the rear differential itself. In short there is no way its gonna be cheap. Honestly I can see another 4 grand invested in the car before it is "how you want it" and by that time you could have bought an unmolested clean car.

What you'll find here is that although many of us are into modding our cars quite extensively, we like to do it ourselves. For most of us it is much better to start with a stone stock car that you know is untouched. In this manner you know you're not set to inherit somebody else's problems.
Like several have stated go for it but to finish it who knows what the cost will be these car's are worse than dope
Old 08-22-2005, 09:33 PM
psychodiagnostik
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What the hell does "ported over" mean? And a "brand new 350" could be anything. I assume you mean a brand new 350 short block, but this tells you (and people on the forum) ZIP! Is it an Advance Auto replacement short block? A GMPP? What heads? You get the picture. You need to get more info from this guy. Personally, if this is the info you've gotten, I would walk.

No, run.

Quick Reply: 87 corvette modded out like crazy