C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Cooling System 1994 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 02:01 AM
George253
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling System 1994 Coupe

I have a 94 Aqua Metalic Blue Coupe. I just had the coolant temperature guage and a sensor that was leaking replaced. My question is how hot is the temperature supposed to be with normal driving, with temps in the mid 80's. Mine usually is around 195 my big concern is when I am in stop and go traffic the temperature rises quickly up to 228 to 230 or so. After I had the guage fixed the mechanic told me the cooling fan came on at 228. I also heard it come on, so I know that it is working. Once I get moving again the temps do go down. I would also like to know if anyone has used a product called Redline Water Wetter Super Coolant., (I found this product in the Mid American catelogue), it claims that the car will run up to 20 degrees cooler, if I add it to my cooling system. Would any of you recommed using this product or if I use it will it mess up anything else. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Aquaman92
Le Mans Master

The Temperature range is normal my 92 is the same.Some people have used Wetter Water and had good results.I noticed no change.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:28 AM
bdvdvh7
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine temp is the exact same on my 95. no big deal. don't worry about it. it's all good.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:21 AM
George253
Advanced

Thanks for the information. Have a great day.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:30 AM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by George253
Mine usually is around 195 my big concern is when I am in stop and go traffic the temperature rises quickly up to 228 to 230 or so. After I had the guage fixed the mechanic told me the cooling fan came on at 228.
I do know that is normal for our cars... they were designed to run hot so I really wouldn't worry about it. I would like to know if someone can verify the temp that the fan kicks on... I can't for the life of me remember.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Larzus
Instructor

Originally Posted by kwik_silver
I do know that is normal for our cars... they were designed to run hot so I really wouldn't worry about it. I would like to know if someone can verify the temp that the fan kicks on... I can't for the life of me remember.
228 sounds abour right for the fan kicking on. I notice in heavy traffic my 95 will climb to about 228-230 then start slowly dropping, so I assume thats the fan doing its job.

And the original posters temps sounds about right. Mine runs around 200-210 with periods of 228 when in stop and go traffic. Oil temp is normally around the same as coolant unless I have been driving around for awhile, then its about 15 to 20 degrees hotter than coolant.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:37 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,385 Likes on 917 Posts

Stock settings for a '94 are to kick the primary cooling fan on at 228*F. Secondary kicks on at either 234*F or 236*F (don't remember which and don't have my manuals here). So, yes, the temps you are seeing are quite normal. But I don't like 'em.

I swapped out my thermostat for a 160*F unit, and had my ECM re-flashed to kick the cooling fans on at lower temps (190*F primary, 195*F secondary, IIRC).

Now, my car never gets over 195*F with the A/C off, regardless of driving conditions. With the A/C on, it can get quite a bit hotter, but seldom gets up to the temp ranges that are "normal".

I like this much better. I now have much more headroom in my cooling system before Really Bad Things happen. And soft parts under the hood (belts, hoses, gaskets, etc) should last significantly longer.

YMMV.

Be well,

SJW
Old 08-16-2005, 07:49 PM
George253
Advanced

Hi SJW

I like your suggestion to replace the thermostat and reflash the ECM Approximately how much should this cost? I can take it to my local Vette garage. Thanks

George
Old 08-17-2005, 06:50 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,385 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by George253
Hi SJW

I like your suggestion to replace the thermostat and reflash the ECM Approximately how much should this cost? I can take it to my local Vette garage. Thanks

George
I did the thermostat swap myself, so all it cost me was the price of the 'stat. GM does not make a 160* 'stat for the LT1/LT4. I bought one made by HyperTech at a local speed shop. Make damned sure that the 'stat you buy is for an LT1/LT4, as they are NOT the same as for earlier small-block Chevy engines. IIRC, the 'stat cost me somewhere between $20 and $30.

I had the ECM re-flashed at a local Corvette specialty shop, and I think the price I paid was a bit high. Call around and see what price a reputable shop will quote you. I believe CF member Tom Wong is still offering this re-flash service at a very fair price, but check with him to be sure (he's in Oregon, so you'll have to get it to him).

Alternatively, if you're interested in tinkering with it yourself, you can buy the necessary software and interface to do it from a laptop computer (I didn't own a laptop at the time, so I paid someone else to re-flash mine).

Be well,

SJW
Old 08-17-2005, 08:48 PM
George253
Advanced

Thanks, I appreciate your response to my questions. Have a great day!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:55 PM
LilR3dCorvette
Le Mans Master

St: Jude Donor '10

Agree with all that has been stated above.

I use Water Wetter whenever I track LilRed, and it does help. Some hardcore racers flush out the coolant tank and use only Water Wetter and water during hot summer track days, but I have not done this. I usually just dump a bottle into the coolant tank with the coolant already in there (I run Dexcool) and off I go, with no problems.

C4s are meant to run hot, but if you find temps beyond 240* then:

1. Check your bottom breather. You may have leaves/debris stuck up in there. It can be a friggin' vaccuum.

2. Check your radiator.

3. Check your water pump.

If all of that is OK and you're still having issues, then the Hypertech 160* 'stat and reprogramming the fans (LT1 Edit) to come on sooner will help. Or you can buy/install a manual fan switch and have the fan come on when YOU want it to.

YMMV

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling System 1994 Coupe

Quick Reply: Cooling System 1994 Coupe