C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Last Place
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C4 as a daily driver?

I've been thinking about buying a used car to be my daily driver.

What I'm looking for is something that is reliable, fun to drive, has an automatic, can get at least 20mpg and costs less than $10k.

The C4 comes to mind, because it is fun to drive even with an automatic, and gets decent mileage. The late C4s are out of my price range, but early C4 models seem to be within reason.

If I were to get a C4, I'd probably buy something in the 87-90 range. With that in mind, how will it fare in regards to reliability? Also, do I have to use premium fuel? (Yes, I'll be driving the crap out of it )

What problem areas do I need to watch for? Should I consider something else as a daily driver?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:29 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...86&forum_id=34

They are probably no more or no less reliable than any other 15-18 year old Chevy. No, you don't HAVE to use premium.

It will make the perfect daily driver if that's what you want. You don't know until you try....

Larry
code5coupe
Old 08-15-2005, 12:35 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I drive mine daily, it would get close to 20 at home but it doesnt here in Baton Rouge with the city traffic.

You should get the newest you can afford, but expect to pay some money for repairs like wheel bearings, seats, etc.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Shotgun

What I'm looking for is something that is reliable, fun to drive, has an automatic, can get at least 20mpg and costs less than $10k.

The C4 comes to mind, because it is fun to drive even with an automatic, and gets decent mileage. The late C4s are out of my price range, but early C4 models seem to be within reason.

If I were to get a C4, I'd probably buy something in the 87-90 range. With that in mind, how will it fare in regards to reliability? Also, do I have to use premium fuel? (Yes, I'll be driving the crap out of it )

What problem areas do I need to watch for? Should I consider something else as a daily driver?
9 years ago, i was thinking the same thing. i needed a daily driver for work, and wanted to spend around 10K. my initial thought was a two year old cavalier with around 15K miles. i started looking in the local auto-trader and ran across a 1985 corvette with 33K miles - guess who drives a corvette to work everyday (spring/summer/fall). the thing is very reliable - maintenance is about normal - oil changes, transmission service, cooling sysem service, fuel system, etc.. i had the a/c recharged (1.5 lbs) back in 1997, and it still pumps out cold air. i did have to replace the fuel pump, u-joints, and steering rack. other than that, it's been tires, brakes, tune-ups, and a battery. i run 89 octane, and average around 19mpg. today i've got 98K miles, and running strong! bottom line, IT'S A GREAT WORK CAR AND DAILY DRIVER! i do keep up on the cosmetics, and the thing looks as good if not better than the day i got it!
Old 08-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove an L98 as a DD for about 6 months, and I've been using my LT4 daily for almost 2 years now... Both fantastic cars!
Old 08-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Edison Trent
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Mine has always been my daily driver. I've had some repairs like bearings and such, but not too bad. Never had a major problem.

And btw, I run regular (87 octane). I have experimented with higher grades, with no difference in milage or perfomance, so I just figure why spend more?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Mines been a daily driver since the day I bought it. Can't find a better car for daily driving unless you have a lot of kids.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '92 is my daily driver, and my '94 is my fiance's daily driver.

That said, don't be afraid of shopping for newer cars. I only paid $9K for my '94, and it's been completely trouble free.

I would suggest you check out the C4 For Sale section of this site. The people here are true enthusiast and tend to take better care of their cars than the general population. And you can check out what they've done to their cars by their posts and replies.

Finally, don't be afraid to travel for your car. Even after travels costs, I paid below market for both of my cars, and I had to go to Baltimore for one, and San Diego for the other (I'm in Houston).

Best of luck to ya!!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:04 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Cuisinartevette is selling his. That would work for you and he has maintained it well. Check out his post here.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Rich Silvestris
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Look for one that has been maintained well. That way you won't be playing catch up with neglected stuff. The steering rack comes to mind; as well as the valve seals. For an aging automatic, a history of regular ATF changes are a must. A good Vette owner will have a thick file on this stuff.

I use my 87 about 50% of the time from May to November. My commute is 130 mi per day. The car handles it fine, and it has 162K on the clock. Don't go for one with that kind of mileage, but realize that it is capable of that and more. Make sure you have some reserve $$, because something always goes wrong. If you buy carefully, though, you will probably be quite pleased with the results.

These cars Rock!
Old 08-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 86' last year to be my daily driver.

It was in decent condition, but I wanted something to tinker with, so I didn't really care if it wasn't perfect.

I get about 17MPG around town and an honest 29MPG on the highway during road trips.

It has been a good car so far.

The COOLEST thing about having any vette is that parts are easy to find when compared to any other car that is 15+ years old. Just about any part you need can be ordered from a catalog and show up at your door in under a week! I have an 83' Toyota Supra, finding parts for that isn't so easy! For that reason alone, I think C4's make decent drivers.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:34 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Silvestris
Look for one that has been maintained well. That way you won't be playing catch up with neglected stuff. The steering rack comes to mind; as well as the valve seals.

Okay, I'm stupid; what does one do to maintain the steering rack and the valve seals?
I would like to avoid morning sickness on my own C4.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 08-15-2005, 06:17 PM
85A4Coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shotgun

My 85 averages 19.8 mpg's in town and has been very dependable.

It's not an 87 but I have it for sale on here and quiksilver458 has already looked at it. He left a pretty good post on his inspection of my car. Check it out if your interested.
85 A4 Coupe For sale

Jesse
Old 08-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Dan Kelly
Intermediate

Default Daily Driver

Hey Shotgun,
I just bought a 87 (3 weeks) ago for my daily driver. All I can say is WHAT A BLAST. mines a red coup 87 with only 36,000 miles. this thing is mint condition from paint to rubber. with no mods on it yet. the drivers seat shows a little were on the door side, "normal".
I have two problems I need to address:

-The first is that it sat too long unused and the valve seals dried out.
now it smokes a little at start-up. no problem, I'm pretty wrenchey...pull valve covers, remove rockers, r&r valve seals.

-The second one is a little more serious.....
Keeping the (melted)rubber from building-up on the paint behind the rear
wheel wells. Its a problem I found. anyone else have that problem?

Dan
Old 08-15-2005, 06:40 PM
85A4Coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan Kelly

Dan
Spray the lower rear quarters with PAM cooking oil (spray can) when you plan on playing.

My brother had this issue with his 97 WS6...it is a white car and the stuck rubber looked terrible but Pam stopped it from sticking.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Dan Kelly
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan Kelly
Hey Shotgun,
I just bought a 87 (3 weeks) ago for my daily driver. All I can say is WHAT A BLAST. mines a red coup 87 with only 36,000 miles. this thing is mint condition from paint to rubber. with no mods on it yet. the drivers seat shows a little were on the door side, "normal".
I have two problems I need to address:

-The first is that it sat too long unused and the valve seals dried out.
now it smokes a little at start-up. no problem, I'm pretty wrenchey...pull valve covers, remove rockers, r&r valve seals.

Dan
Oh Ya I forgot to mention I paid $10,000 for my car. I dont really know if that was a great deal or not. "really dont care" but I had a 10k buget from my wife And this is a really fun car to drive. try and get a import 20 years old this nice. good luck.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:50 PM
avideo
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Go For It! - Corvettes Are Great Daily Drivers...

I belong to the largest Corvette club in my state; and at least a dozen people I know drive their Corvettes every day. That includes at least 4 or 5 C4s and the rest are C5s. One couple just bought a new C6 in May and already have 6,000 miles on the clock.
I don't drive my 1995 Coupe every day, but do put on at least 6-7,000 miles on it every year. (This being the Pacific Northwest where it rains at least 6 months of the year!)

Get notified of new replies

To C4 as a daily driver?

Old 08-15-2005, 08:46 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

My 96 makes a great dd, but I only avg 14 mpg. : Lucky me, I don't have to drive far to work (1.5mi).
Old 08-15-2005, 09:12 PM
RIISITAS
Burning Brakes

My 96 coupe makes a great daily driver. You'll have no problems at all. Enjoy!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:08 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Thanks for the plug, guys! Shotgun, if you are interested pm me and I'll shoot you my number; I'll go over the good and the bad w/ya. Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: C4 as a daily driver?