C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bad Gas anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 10:08 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad Gas anyone?

My daughter started having problems in her Pathfinder-using cheap gas, we used some additives and Sea Foamed it-all seems well.I use Chevron or Shell-and now I think I got a bad tank full. Anyone else experiencing problems with gas lately? I know there was a News article on 76 bad gas.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:43 AM
vpunteney
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, I use Chevron most of the time. I did notice at the start of summer the smell of old gas when I pumped it. My thought, and only a thought was the companies were holding and building inventory to jack the prices (Seems to have worked). Anyway, most of our gas comes from the same place and they use additives to make it a brand, so I'm not sure we all didn't get bad or old gas. 76 is paying to have the injectors cleaned at a shop if you just ask, but you have to ask.
My 2 cents, Vinnie
Old 07-14-2005, 10:49 AM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

I've had it bad since last week... White Castles did a number on me... oh wait... that's probably TMI since I just realized it is the wrong kind of gas
Old 07-14-2005, 11:11 AM
91C4
Instructor

Default Bad Gas!

I have a friend that makes Shell gas in Baton Rouge, La. Shell has had probles lately with high sulfur in their gas out of LA. It has caused problems. Gas gauges have stopped working. It seems that the high sulfur messes up the sending unit in the tank to the guage. I have since stopped using Shell. It fould up the gas guage in my wife car. Also a club buddy's son had Shell replace his fuel pump on his 03 Z-28 from the same Shell station that my wife used! This is in Mobile, Al.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Reddy94
Instructor

Nothing but bad gas in Italy...I cringe everytime I have to fill up...I dump in 2 bottles of red Heet with every tank... It's
Old 07-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Rich Silvestris
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I was running low, so I filled up with Getty a few weeks ago. Shortly after that, the car would stall when I put the clutch in at low speeds. This went on for a couple of days, then it corrected itself. I checked for codes, and there were none. I normally use Mobil. I had never experienced this before, and I haven't since. I don't know if it was the gas, but it's suspicious.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:17 PM
SilverBeast
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 91C4
I have a friend that makes Shell gas in Baton Rouge, La. Shell has had probles lately with high sulfur in their gas out of LA. It has caused problems. Gas gauges have stopped working. It seems that the high sulfur messes up the sending unit in the tank to the guage. I have since stopped using Shell. It fould up the gas guage in my wife car. Also a club buddy's son had Shell replace his fuel pump on his 03 Z-28 from the same Shell station that my wife used! This is in Mobile, Al.
Where was that station? I buy mine at Grelot & Sollie/Cody and have not had any problems with my '96.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:09 PM
91C4
Instructor

Default Bad Gas!

Airport Blvd & Snow rd. In west Mobile,Al.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:20 PM
bdvdvh7
Burning Brakes

you'd think for what we are paying, it would be as good as a fine wine
Old 07-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Grace91
Racer

Originally Posted by bdvdvh7
you'd think for what we are paying, it would be as good as a fine wine

Fine wine at $2.60 a gallon???
Old 07-14-2005, 08:53 PM
86C4EVER
Racer

Originally Posted by 91C4
A few years ago, same thing happened here in Canada with Shell.
They said the gas gauge would start working after a while and it took a class action lawsuit for them to replace fuel pumps. But it was prorated to age and mileage so it was not even worth it.
At that time, it was blamed on a new additive they were putting in the gas.
I have not bought Shell since.
Fred

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Gas anyone?

Quick Reply: Bad Gas anyone?