C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Grand Sport or ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 10:19 PM
93RubyZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grand Sport or ZR-1

Greetings! I just found this forum and it's probably exactly where I need to look.

Ever since I sold my '95 several years ago , I've been itching to get back on that Corvette highway. Well, I'm starting to think that time may be getting closer. I'm still about a year away (maybe more, maybe less), but I want to make sure I get my homework done. During the past several years I've thought about the expense of car ownership (mainly regarding depreciation), and would like to be able to minimuze that if I ever decided to or needed to sell (although at the moment, I'm thinking about long-term ownership).

As such, I'm looking at something that will hold it's value more than average (maybe even appreciate over the long-haul). I am also thinking about C4's since I'd like to get something more modern and the C5's are more expensive and still in depreciation phase. I would like to get something to drive on weekends and such, I'm not looking for something that will be kept in a home museum. Thus, for rarity sake, that has lead me to either the Grand Sport or a ZR-1.

So, what are your thoughts on Grand Sport vs. ZR-1 ownership? I know there are fewer Grand Sports than ZR-1's around, but the ZR-1 was also more of an exotic. I'm also concerned about maintenance -- I'm assuming that ZR-1 engines could be more expensive to repair when necessary. Also, what are your thoughts on long-term values? Will ZR-1 insurance be affordable?

Thanks for any insight you can provide. It will help with a decsion I will HOPEFULLY be making in the near future...
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ZR1s are not really any more costly to maintain than a regular C4.

ZR1 motors are as close to bullet-proof as you are going to get in any Corvette.

I don't know your particulars, but as a 40y/o family man my ZR1 cost no more to insure than my old regular '89 C4. And that's full coverage with no mileage restrictions.

Imho, the sound of an LT5 at wide-open has no equal. As far as C4s go, the ZR1 is a different animal.

You really can't go wrong with either. Buy the one you like.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Well,since you asked,ZR1.There is no C4 that compares as far as im concerned.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:46 PM
mustbampeg
Instructor

im not real sure how to say this without sounding like an a$$, so don't take any offense, because none is intended. anyways, if you are looking for an investment, then you should maybe look at Ferrari's or Lambo's. but also know that no matter what you buy, you are going to take a hit on it. Depreciation happens with every type of vehicle under the sun. some less than others. Corvette's hold their value relatively well compared to the family sedan.
all im trying to say is don't let the used car market dictate what you buy, because ultimately it doesn't matter what the market says a car is worth, but what the car is worth to you.

now to answer your question specifically, my opinion is go for the one that lights your heart on fire! if you want to be 'king of the hill' then find you a 405 horse ZR-1. if you want the exclusivity of Grand Sport ownership, then find you one of those. if you want true uniqueness, then look for a Callaway. but whichever one you choose, make sure to 'drive it like you stole it'!!!

just my .02

randy
Old 07-11-2005, 10:52 PM
GSjimbo
Pro

Grand Sport with red guts....but then I might be a little biased!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:56 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You want and ask a lot, Joe. And that's prob not that bad, espec. since you're giving yourself what I'd call, a long-lead time. Very good idea.

Since you've owned a '95, you already know about the C4s. And altho C5s are still depreciating, so are some of the C4s. I think you really have to make a decision, and then run with it: are you in this as an "investment" that can be turned around at any time for cash (arguable imo with anything other than cash), or is the car something else, such as a daily driver, means of transportation, or an occasional, weekend car which is what you've said. Although everyone would like the former ( or the knowledge that their 'Vette is worht a lot of money, more than they paid for it), practically speaking it usually becomes the latter.

ZR1-s probably have bottomed out as far as prices go, altho I'll leave that to the ZR afficionados and owners (you might like to ask this question on the ZR-specific section, or ask them to look at this section and your thread). That doesn't make them cheap, or cheaper to own than any other C4; there is an exotic nature to the cars, after all. For that matter, because of their relative numbers, it could very well be that they're more expensive to maintain. AGain, I defer to the ZR owners, and others in the know.

As to the Grand Sport, it shouts its presence, and that's not bad, just something to be remembered. Relatively few of them, and maybe less expensive to operate than a ZR1.

It's a basic LT4 engine and trans, suspension, etc. very separate and distinct from the LT1. And also a more "exclusive" than an LT1 simply because it was only made for one year.

The LT4 "package", however, minus a few things and while not the full boat GRand Sport vehicle, was available on all 1996 Corvettes. So, if for instance you wanted much of the performance but not so much of the flash (and beautiful color scheme, if you ask me) of the Grand Sport itself, you could go for a '96 LT4 base model, or Commemorative Edition, etc.

I'll leave more comments for more informed Corvetteers!

Good luck, ask questions, give more info about yourself (I mean, "Joe" and no-town Calif??. not much to go on, is it? very careful and anonymous)
Old 07-11-2005, 11:07 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would go with a ZR-1. They really are fantastic cars and the performance is greater than the GS (ridden in both and the ZR-1 just doesn't quit pulling)

While the LT5 motor is very strong, the parts supply is dwindling and there are not too many places that have the knowledge to work on them. Lingenfelter and Doug Rippie are two of the best but you can figure on a fair chunk of change to have a motor properly redone if necessary.

I have heard that the best deal is to buy a really rough 90 ZR-1 and send the motor to LPE or DRM and for 15K they will build a pretty powerful motor. The rest of the car is simply C4 technology and is no more difficult to work on than any other C4.

The 90 is a great ZR-1 to consider. They were made in theh largest quantity and there is a wide variation in observed HP among the 90's. A friend has a 90 that was dyno'd at 365HP at the wheels and is a completely stock car with 80K on the clock.

Scoob is right; the sound of the LT5 at full tilt is really something. And the "nickle trick" actually works; with the LT5 at idle, balance a nickle on the plenum. You can rev the motor to over 5000RPM and the nickle will stay there! The LT5 likes to be run hard. It seems that the harder you run it the better it likes it.

People can say what they want about the LS6 motor in the Z06 but the ZR-1 is still "King of the Hill". How can you argue with a car with a stock motor that holds a record for averaging 175MPH over 24 hours and it included stops for the GM-recommended services like oil changes and lubrication.

The record holding motor was actually taken from the assembly line as a reject Apparently the paint didn't meet the QC standard for paint quality so they grabbed it for the record run.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Mikez40
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go get a book called "The Heart of the Beast." You will want a ZR-1 by the time you are done with it. Don't get me wrong the GS is a great car also, and I went throught the same thing, I could of bought a ZR-1 or a GS, and actually I was looking to buy a Z06 when I came across my '93 ZR-1. I can tell you this, they were not called the "King of the Hill" for nothing. Just the sound of the LT5 is like no other Corvette. And the great thing about the ZR-1 is the harder you drive it, the better it runs. So the car works out great as a weekend toy, you can run it hard and don't have to worry about breaking it.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:42 PM
philly1919d
Instructor

If it was my money, I would got for a 92 ZR-1....but thats my personal preferance.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:52 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I'm partial to the GS but don't think you will go wrong with either choice.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:08 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Here is are a couple of sites to help with your decision:

www.ZR1registry.com

www.grandsportregistry.com

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. It's a win/win choice.

If you do buy the Z then be sure to attend Gordon Killebrew's school. It is listed on the ZR1 site.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Aquaman92
Le Mans Master

For performance I like the Zr1 .I f price is a factor I have seen a few Zr1's with low mileage under 50,000 for under $20,000 .The GS seem to be $25,000 with about the same mileage.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:11 AM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with the Grand Sport. It's newer, has better resale value and in the long run will have more readily available parts and you won't need a specialized mechanic to fix it if the engine starts to give you trouble. Right now though, you can get ZR1's for really good prices. For some reason their resale value is in the crapper. You can get low miles, showroom condition, early ZR1's for mid 20's and that's a steal. Either car is a great choice and their performance is second to none. I think you should get one of each
Old 07-12-2005, 09:20 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Except for the '84-'85's, C4's are still dropping in price. This includes the ZR-1's. You say you'd like something that will appreciate "over the long haul". That would be ANY car. All cars seem to bottom out at about 20 years, then start a gradual rise. (the '84-'85's bear this out) If your idea of "the long haul" is thirty years, then it doesn't matter what you buy.
Remember this: considering inflation, you will never make your money back on these cars. Your grandkids might see a profit on a car you bought, but you won't. You buy buy a 'Vette to own one, not to make money.

You say you want a driver. What kind of driver? The ZR-1 has cache', without a doubt. Straight-line acceleration is their forte. The LT4-engined C4 is a more balanced car (far less weight on the front end) and makes a good autocross/daily driver.
For me it is a toss-up; I want one of each.
Anyone have a clean '95 Comp Yellow ZR-1 for sale?

Larry
code5coupe
Old 07-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1986pacecar
the long run will have more readily available parts and you won't need a specialized mechanic to fix it if the engine starts to give you trouble.
Myth debunking time.

1. Now that the C4 has entered the NCRS realm any previously discontinued parts will be manufactured by the aftermarket. Parts availability will not be an issue.

2. You do not need a specialized mechanic to work on an LT5. I repeat, you do not need a specialized mechanic to work on an LT5. If a repair is beyond your DIY skills all you need is a good ASE certified mechanic. Think local shop, not a GM dealer shop. The LT5 is nearly bullet proof, and proper regular preventive maintenance will keep it that way.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:08 AM
mitchcole
Drifting

If you're looking for zero depreciation - go for the bottom of the barrel. The closer you are to zero - the less you have to go.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:13 AM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Mitch, what's gonig on!! Havn't seen you round lately.

Anyway, my choice, LT5 all the way. The GS is nice, but I'm partial to the ZR1.

The early LT5s were subject to recalls becuase of mechanical problems, but that was straighted out early. Some of the early ZR-1s may not have matching numbers as a result.

Last edited by jsup; 07-12-2005 at 10:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport or ZR-1

Old 07-12-2005, 11:52 AM
l1sikes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Here is are a couple of sites to help with your decision:

www.ZR1registry.com

www.grandsportregistry.com

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. It's a win/win choice.

If you do buy the Z then be sure to attend Gordon Killebrew's school. It is listed on the ZR1 site.
You need to go to Gordon's school whether you buy the Z, a GS, or any other C4. It is the best money a gearhead can spend.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:52 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

IMHO They're both head turners and "status symbols".

If given the option and money was no object, I'd go for a GS.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The GS is a hot car, but really it's just like every other 96 six speed except for fender flairs and wider rear tires. The only thing that makes it stand out is it's paint - which can be done on any C4. I'd love to have one too, a 96 GS vert with red guts - but I wouldn't give up the ZR-1 to have it.

The ZR-1 is the defacto king of the C4 generation and it's everything I could want in a car and more. If you love the C4 generation, you'll love the ZR-1 that much more.

Quick Reply: Grand Sport or ZR-1