C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Buyer's Tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 08:46 AM
FFCus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Buyer's Tips

I'm about to start shopping for a C4, my first vette. I'm looking at the 94-96 model years.

Can anyone provide some tips or common problems with these years that I should pay special attention to when checking cars out?

I did purchase the Illustrated Corvette Buyer's Guide, hopefully it will be here soon - but I'm also interested in hearing advice from other vette owners.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by FFCus; 06-30-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:55 AM
sgreen4067
Le Mans Master

I have a clean 1995 red on red for sale 12000.firm 82,000
Old 06-30-2005, 09:01 AM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 535 Likes on 285 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I'd suggest that you beg, borrrow or buy the book "Cor-Vette Specs 1984-1996" by Mike Antonick. Lots of great information about the different years and specs.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:31 AM
OleDog
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish I would have asked before I bought mine.
If you can afford a 96 go for an LT4. The HP rating is actually understated. The cars like lighting. You'd have to do quite a few mods to an LT1 to get the LT4 power. Checkout the Corvette Black Book
Old 06-30-2005, 11:40 AM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FFCus
I'm about to start shopping for a C4, my first vette. I'm looking at the 94-96 model years.

Can anyone provide some tips or common problems with these years that I should pay special attention to when checking cars out?

I did purchase the Illustrated Corvette Buyer's Guide, hopefully it will be here soon - but I'm also interested in hearing advice from other vette owners.

Thanks in advance!
The opti spank and the water pump can be problems. More so in the pre 95 model. A 95-96 can be had here for under 12k. Try the autotrader in your area.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:15 PM
XQIZT
Drifting

There used to be a great web site with a check list for buying a used C4…gone now though…but from what I remember (and from my own personal experience) there are some key things to look for and to keep in mind.
First, (and I know this sounds silly), don’t get taken in by the beauty and power of the car that you are looking at. I have been around corvettes since I was 11, but the first one I looked at on my own to purchase, I got all giddy and was almost ready to write a check on the spot.
Look at the body. are the panels straight and it the paint nice? a little bit of fading turns into a lot of fading rather quickly.
start it and listen to it. open the hood…leaks? stumbling? also, make sure that the car is cold when you see it….if it appears that the car has been warmed up first, this may be an indication that it has some cold starting issues that will **** you off in the morning when you need to get to work.
get inside….is it all beat up or has the car been taken care of? all the bits and pieces in place? does it all work?
drive it…and weird noises, shakes, shimmys? obviously is should track straight and brake straight. make sure that there are no “dead spots” in the steering…C4 racks die, but a tell-tale is unresponsive steering when the system is cold.
And ask for records…if the owner says that certain things are done, ask him to prove it.
Finally, get the car inspected by a corvette specialty shop. a $40 inspection may save you thousands later. the shop I went to was dead on in terms of “problems” that needed attention immediately and which problems that needed to be considered later down the road…and they appraised the car too.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:27 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

A C4 in that year range should be pretty clean but still check out operation of all accessories as well as condition of paint, weather stripping, interior and tires.

Also listen for any whines or clicks when accelerating, which could mean a bad wheel bearing or U-joint.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buying a Corvette
Buying your first Corvette can be a difficult task if you're not sure what to look for. You've heard all the terms, "matching numbers", "body-off restoration", "frame-off restoration" etc. but you're not sure what they mean. Our goal here is to provide you with a little bit of knowledge before you go into the Corvette buying world and to supply you with a handy check list of items that you may want to check out the Corvette that you're interested in purchasing. Depending on options, some of the items on the list, may or may not apply to the particular Vette that you're looking at. Hopefully, we've compiled a fairly broad enough array of items to look at that will cover just about all Corvette model years.

Below, are a few of those definitions defined and we've added the checklist for you to take a look at.

Matching-Numbers: By far, this is probably the most commonly used term you will ever see when it comes to buying a Corvette. Many owners claim that their Corvettes are matching numbers, but many owners fail to have a good understanding of what the term truly means. Most parts on a Corvette come with serial numbers and date codes. Often the serial number of the part will also contain the date code in which the part was manufactured. An example would be the engine code found on the Corvette's engine block. This code can identify the engine's origin and date of manufacture. The term, "matching numbers" implies that all parts on the car are numerically correct and the date of manufacture of those parts are correct for that Corvette. For example, if you're looking at a 1969 Corvette with a 427ci. engine and the engine stamp indicates that the engine was built in early 1968, or even late 1967, that Corvette cannot be called a "matching-numbers Corvette". As parts break and need replacement, many owners, purchase the parts they believe are correct for the car, when in fact, numerically, they may not be. If you're in the market for a "numbers matching" Corvette, and you're not familiar with identifying build codes and date codes, you should probably take someone along with you that is knowledgable in that area.

Body-Off Restoration: Simply refers to the fact that the Corvette was restored and the body was removed from the frame in order to conduct a thorough restoration.

Frame-Off Restoration: Although slightly misleading, this term is the same thing as the above "Body-Off Restoration".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General Assessment
Model Year: ___________ Model: ___________________________ VIN: ________________________

1. Owner name: _________________________ Phone #: __________________
2. Exterior Color: _______________ Interior Color: ___________________
3. Mileage: ___________
4. Reason for selling the car? ________________________________________ _________________________
5. Documentation available? Window Sticker Build Sheet Protect-O-Plate None Miscellaneous:__________________________ ________________________________________ ______________
6. Are maintenance records available? Yes No
7. Who maintained the car and where?_______________________________
8. Are maintenance or upgrade receipts available? Yes No
9. How many previous owners have there been? _______
10. Can the former owners be contacted? Yes No
11. If so, what are their names and phone numbers?
________________________________________ ________________________________________ __
12. Is it currently registered? Yes No
13. Does it have a current inspection sticker? Yes No Will it pass state inspection? Yes No
14. Are there any modifications? Yes No List them:
________________________________________ ____________________________
15. If equipped with standard transmission, has the clutch ever been replaced? Yes No When? Where? What mileage?________________________________ ______________
16. Has the car ever been in an accident or had bodywork done? Yes No Why?
________________________________________ _______________________________________
17. Has the car been kept garaged? Yes No
18. What have been the average driving conditions? (Sun only, rain, snow?) ________________________________________ _______________
19. Does the car need anything now? Yes No If so, what? ________________________________________ ___________

Body Condition
1. Does the car sit level? Yes No
2. Check body panels for uniformity. Pass Fail
3. Check for body damage. Look at: Wheel wells, floor pan, rear hatch (pull up carpet), front and rear valance, fenders, quarter panels, uniform body molding. Check for paint over-spray in: headlights, gas door, door jams, fender skirts, engine compartment?. Is there evidence of body damage? Yes No
4. Is the paint oxidized Yes No Some oxidation
5. Has the car ever been repainted? Yes No
6. If so, why, by whom, and how long ago? ________________________________________ ______________
7. Does sides of the car appear aligned? Yes No
8. Are there any waves or stress cracks in the fiberglass? Yes No
9. Are there any dings or stone chips in the paint? Yes No
10. Are there any cracks or chips in the windshield or side and rear glass? Yes No
11. Do the doors open and close normally? Yes No
12. Do the doors and trunk lock and unlock correctly with the key? Yes No
13. Do the doors and trunk (if applicable) lock/unlock correctly with remote key FOB (if applicable)? Yes No
14. Does the rear hatch glass open properly? Yes No From inside? Yes No
15. Do the struts hold the rear hatch? Yes No
16. Does the hood release work? Yes No
17. Does the color match the trim tag color code? Yes No
18. Are there missing badges, or moldings? Yes No

Chassis & Suspension
1. Are the tires in good condition? Yes No Cracked or signs of dry rot? Yes No
2. Is tire wear uniform. Yes No
3. Are the wheels stock? Yes No What type of wheels? _______________
4. Are the wheels in good condition? Yes No
5. Are the brake rotors in good condition? (check for cracks or scarring) Yes No
6. Are there any wet spots under the car? Yes No
7. Are the rubber axle boots in good condition? Yes No
8. Inspect the tie rod ends and ball joints. Pass Fail
9. Inspect the shocks. Dry Wet If the shocks appear to be wet, they may be leaking and in need of repair.
10. Is the exhaust in good condition? Yes No

Interior Condition
1. Are all door, hatch, and top seals in good condition? Yes No
2. (If applicable) Is the ratchet wrench for the targa top there? Yes No
3. Are the seats clean? Yes No Torn or cracked? Yes No Worn? Yes No
4. Can you adjust the seats? Yes No
5. Is the carpet clean? Yes No Worn? Yes No
6. Can you adjust the mirrors? Yes No
7. Does the interior light work? Yes No Does it work with the doors? Yes No
8. Is the dash in good condition? Yes No
9. Is the center console in good condition? Yes No
10. Does the glove compartment door work properly? Yes No
11. Do the windshield wipers function properly? Yes No
12. Does the overall interior condition match the mileage? Yes No
13. If equipped, does the tilt wheel work properly? Yes No
14. If equipped does the alarm work? Yes No
15. Does the clock work? Yes No

Engine Evaluation
1. What type of engine does it have? __________________________________
2. Is it original? Yes No
3. Is the oil clean? Yes No Dark or black colored oil indicates a change is necessary and may be indicative of past maintenance trends.
4. When was the last oil change? ______________ Overdue? Yes No
5. Check for a leaking oil pan gasket. Pass Fail
6. Check for a leaking front/rear main seal. Pass Fail
7. Check the master cylinder and slave cylinder for leakage. Pass Fail
8. Check all coolant lines for leakage. Pass Fail
9. Check the coolant in the reservoir. A brown frothy mixture in the reservoir usually indicates oil and water mixing in the oil filter/cooler housing. Pass Fail
10. Inspect the fuel lines going to the fuel rail for brittleness or cracking. Pass Fail
11. Inspect the plug wires for brittleness or cracking. Pass Fail
12. Inspect the brake fluid for color. Black colored brake fluid indicates a change is necessary. Pass Fail
13. Is the air filter clean? Pass Fail
14. Is the engine bay clean and neat? All hoses / wiring in correct place? Pass Fail

Engine Operation
1. Does the car start properly? Yes No
2. The car should have a steady idle. Pass Fail
3. (If equipped) Check the ECM (computer)? Engine Codes recorded? Pass Fail
If so, what are the codes? __________________________________
4. Is the oil pressure normal? Pass Fail
5. Engine coolant temperature: Normal? Yes No High? Yes No Fluctuating? Yes No Fluctuating coolant temperature may be indicative of a necessary water pump replacement.
6. Is there valve chatter or excessive engine noise? Yes No
7. Is there excessive engine vibration at idle or revving? (can indicate bad motor mount). Yes No
8. With the engine running, listen for leaks at the exhaust manifolds and exhaust. Pass Fail
9. Does the heat work? Yes No
10. Does the AC work? Yes No Is the compressor quiet? Yes No
11. Does the AC / heater blow at each speed? Yes No
12. Does the radio work properly (tape and CD if applicable)? Yes No
13. If equipped, does the power antenna work? Yes No
14. If equipped, do the power windows and door locks work? Yes No
15. Does the defroster work properly? Yes No
16. Do all ***** / controls function correctly? Yes No
17. Do all of the gauges / dashboard lights work properly? Yes No

Test Drive Evaluation
1. Does the parking brake work properly? Yes No
2. How does the brake pedal feel? Firm Soft
The following 3 questions assume manual transmission:
3. How does the clutch pedal feel? Firm Soft
4. Does the clutch operate in a smooth quiet manner? Yes No
5. Does the shifter seem tight? Yes No

6. Are there any squeaks / noises (specially over rough roads)? Yes No
7. Is the steering smooth and responsive? Yes No
8. When going straight is the wheel straight? Yes No Does the car drift to one side? Yes No
9. Brake with your hands off the wheel does the car stop straight? Yes No
10. At highway speeds does the car pull, or shake / shimmy? Yes No
11. Does the cruise control work properly? Yes No
12. Is there exceptional wind noise? Yes No
13. If equipped, does the ABS system function properly? Yes No
14. If equipped, does the Traction control system function properly? Yes No
15. If equipped, does the Selective Ride Control function properly? Yes No

Miscellaneous
1. Is the battery in good condition? Yes No
2. Do all lights / signals work correctly? Headlights?, (high and low beams), Yes No Brake lights: Yes No Parking/Side Marker Lights: Yes No Turn Signals: Yes No
Standard Equipment: ________________________________________ _______________________
________________________________________ _______________________
Optional Equipment: ________________________________________ ___________________________
________________________________________ ___________________________

Price / Value
Asking Price: _____________
Retail Value: _____________ Trade-In Value: _____________
Notes:
________________________________________ ________________________________________
________________________________________ ________________________________________
Old 06-30-2005, 08:28 PM
FFCus
Advanced

Wow! That's an awesome guide to bring with me - thanks!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:49 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once

Some things to check for:

Does the wear on the steering wheel and pedals seem right for the mileage of the car?

Check the seats. Does the wear seem consistant with the mileage? Well worn seats with low mileage could mean a lot of getting in and out = many short trips. Also check the passenger seat inboard side. If worn the seats were switched.

None of this is necessarily bad, it just means that a low mileage car might have made a lot of short trips. As someone on this forum once said, if you're going to buy a high mileage car get one from Texas, nothing is close there anyway.

Open the hood first and feel the exhaust manifolds. Make sure they are cold. Then have the owner start the car while you stand behind it. Look for any puffs of smoke at start up which could indicate worn valve guides.

One of the more difficult thing to check for is rain leaks. If the car is garage kept and only used in nice weather and you plan to use it for a daily driver its very hard to find out if the car leaks. The weather stripping may look new (it may even be new) and the interior will not show any water damage, but you can't be sure the car doesn't leak unless you turn a hose on it, and I don't know if the owner of a garage queen will let you do that.

Last edited by 6t9l4t6; 06-30-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Larzus
Instructor

Some great words of wisdom already posted here. Here are a couple of other points I would suggest.

First, plan on test driving out several cars. I must have driven around a dozen before I picked mine. Most of them had a bit of a different feel to me.

Second, and pretty important in my mind, is documentation. If you are buying from a private seller find out what documentation he/she has kept. Reciepts, a logbook, owners manual, window sticker, etc. While some of these items like the window sticker are not all that important they do give you an idea of how much the person cared for the car.

As a point of reference, when I bought my 95 the previous owner had TONS of documentation. When I brought it home I went through his "logbook" and noticed entries with date stamps on when he torqued the lugnuts! Crazy stuff.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:38 PM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look for rust around the gas tank filler. It could mean the drain plug was plugged and the tank sucked in water in which case new gas lines, gas tank and injectors may need to be replaced.

If over 50k miles I would check wheel bearings for play.

Always listen to the engine totally cold as well as at op. temp.

I look for good oil pressure at idle(25) and 4k area(55).

If the paint is well cared for the mechanicals more likely are.No reason a 20 year old car can not have like new paint- my 59,65,69 and 85 did.

Listen to the owner- if he sounds stupid he probabily did stupid things to the car.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:51 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

face reality. your out to buy a 10 year car. it will need work.
If it sat in a garage, things dry rot.
if it was used..... parts fail after 10 years.

be prepared to work on it.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:26 AM
ebubman
Melting Slicks

there is certainly a lot of great advice here. some rather low-tech advice that i'd share is mileage. miles are the eventual kiss of death for a car. not always & everywhere true but in general the lower the miles the better. our 1st vette was a wonderful 87 torch red coupe that came w/ 79k on the clock. we loved the car & when we sold it, we actually made circa $2k (we were lucky). our current vette is an 00 c5 that we got w/ 32k on the clock. i had looked at some c5s at a lower cost but with mucho more miles. good luck. bub
Old 07-02-2005, 04:36 PM
pionexxxx
Pro

Originally Posted by OleDog
I wish I would have asked before I bought mine.
If you can afford a 96 go for an LT4. The HP rating is actually understated. The cars like lighting. You'd have to do quite a few mods to an LT1 to get the LT4 power. Checkout the Corvette Black Book
newbie giving off BS info that motor is not underated, it's underated the same amount as lt1 etc, 5 or so hp. That motor make about 330 crank like it's supposed to I've seen many on the dyno.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pionexxxx
newbie giving off BS info that motor is not underated, it's underated the same amount as lt1 etc, 5 or so hp. That motor make about 330 crank like it's supposed to I've seen many on the dyno.
Considering he's got nearly 400 posts more than you, I'd keep a cork in it.

"Pot, meet kettle!"
Old 07-02-2005, 07:38 PM
mdsd77
Racer

Yes, thanks for the check list, there were a few things i never thought about, i am in the market also and its good to see this type of help here.
maybe the moderators could actually start a future owner FAQ section.

Matt

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Buyer's Tips

Old 07-02-2005, 08:49 PM
pionexxxx
Pro

Originally Posted by Perfusion
Considering he's got nearly 400 posts more than you, I'd keep a cork in it.

"Pot, meet kettle!"
Oh, since he has a lot more post he has way more c4 knowledge them me right? dude I am on my 6th c4.

btw you have posted WAY way WAY more post than me yet you did your first oil change in your LIFE yesterday...

yeah more post really mean they know more ...give me a break
Old 07-02-2005, 09:34 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by pionexxxx
Oh, since he has a lot more post he has way more c4 knowledge them me right? dude I am on my 6th c4.

btw you have posted WAY way WAY more post than me yet you did your first oil change in your LIFE yesterday...

yeah more post really mean they know more ...give me a break
Oh Lordy!!! I see a big can of worms being spilt all over someone's ego in this thread
Old 07-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Dang kwik ta He got ya on that one Pionexxxx is back in town.

Quick Reply: C4 Buyer's Tips