Weird No start problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 10:05 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07
Default Weird No start problem

Well, this has been happening the past couple weeks....

I'll start up my car with no problem whatsoever, I'll go to the store or something.... I'll be in the store for 5 - 20 mins, I'll come back out, and my car won't start. Engine won't crank... nothing...but i do have power...( Battery reads usually about 12.5 to 12.8 )when i check the in-car gauge.

The only way to start up my car again is to jump start it..
The battery is ruled out becuase I actually just bought a new optima red today. Driving around town, the battery reads about 14 to 14.4 volts.

This no-start thing is an intermittent problem, sometimes i'm fine for the whole day, and then other days, the car just flat out won't start...

Any ideas about what the problem could be?

Mucho Thanks in advance.

Vetteusa
Old 06-26-2005, 10:36 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Park/Neutral Safety switch?

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 06-26-2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:11 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

First check the battery cable connections, they must be clean and bright and tight! You may be having VATS problems. Try your spare ignition key as its pellet contacts aren't as worn as your everyday key. When it won't start is when you need to do some troubleshooting. First try jumping the clutch safety switch (gear selector switch if automatic) and attempting a crank. Next, you can prove the starter is ok by jumping 12v to the jumper you put on the clutch safety switch, the starter should crank. Last, pull the hush panel above the driver's feet and find the 2 wires that go to a 2 pin connector from the steering column. Insert your key and measure the resistance across the wires from the steering column. It should measure the same as the pellet. If over 13k ohms, you need a new ign tumbler which has new contacts that make with the pellet. You can temporarily bypass VATS by connecting a fixed resistor (1/4 watt 5% resistor from Radio Shack) across the two wires going into the wiring harness (to VATS module). Don't permanently bypass VATS because 99% of thefts are done by bashing the column and jumping the ignition.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:27 PM
bdvdvh7
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is kind of clunking, and not starting, it could be a starter. that is what mine did. and i think those starters get hot, and when it cools down, they start. but my guess would be a starter. it is behaving exactly like mine did.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:47 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

update: Ok, it seems as though it was just a coincidence that my car started the last two times i put jumper cables to it..

I went to the bank today.. when i came back out from the bank, I tried starting the car, and nothin. I waited for about 3 mins, tried again, and vroom, car started right up.

I've got tomorrow/Friday off from work, so i'll check it out then and test resistance, etc.

VetteUSA

Last edited by vetteusa; 07-01-2005 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:37 PM
ZQQM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start

I'll bet it's the VATS!
It drove me nutz. Check this site out for a sure fix.
www.asttraining.com/Files/vats1pdf
Old 07-02-2005, 08:58 PM
RAGOVET
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by vetteusa
update: Ok, it seems as though it was just a coincidence that my car started the last two times i put jumper cables to it..

I went to the bank today.. when i came back out from the bank, I tried starting the car, and nothin. I waited for about 3 mins, tried again, and vroom, car started right up.

I've got tomorrow/Friday off from work, so i'll check it out then and test resistance, etc.

VetteUSA

This is the VATS. get a new key with new chip on it. I had this prob and it drove me nuts for several weeks. New key from GM dealer ($35) and you are all set. He just needs to know your current keys resistance setting which they should be able to read off your key if it works intermittently.... good luck.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Johns94
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by RAGOVET
This is the VATS. get a new key with new chip on it. I had this prob and it drove me nuts for several weeks. New key from GM dealer ($35) and you are all set. He just needs to know your current keys resistance setting which they should be able to read off your key if it works intermittently.... good luck.
Also any good locksmith can read your key and make you one.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:15 PM
okies93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor 06

this is going to sound weird...but i read a thread here that a member was having the same type of problem that you are having. another member mention cleaning the ign key, they cleaned the key with a toothbrush or something like that and made sure chip on key was clean. the member reposted and said his problems have been cured....i don't know but if it works the you won't be out any money, wife may be mad for using her brush but it could be easy fix..
Old 07-05-2005, 02:45 AM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Update 2 (Back from the dead?!)

Well, its fixed! As far as i know.

Well, i had the voltmeter out, i tested my key to find its resistance, something possessed me to probe inside the ignition switch witht the voltmeter as well, I also went underneath the driver's side to try to find the ign connector. I had a heck of a time finding that connector!! ....

Actually, let me make a long story short....... I was having trouble disconnecting the ign connector... so I probed what i could with it all connected.. Anyway ,after fiddling with all the probing and trying to unsuccessfully disconnect the connector, my car has suddenly been starting right up.

My guess is that maybe when i probed inside my ignition switch, i may have removed some debris that could have been the cause of all my troubles? (I had cleaned my ignition key previously, but that had not effect). I guess i'll never know exactly what it was, all i know is my car has been starting right up ever since i did my probing session.

Vroooom!!!!!!!!!

Thank for all the info everyone, i have printed this thread, saved the PDF, and burned all of the VATS troubleshooting into my brain.

One project down, another dozen to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird No start problem

Quick Reply: Weird No start problem