Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

could not be happier with my '84 alternator upgrade!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 12:24 PM
radwebster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default could not be happier with my '84 alternator upgrade!! write-up included

ok guys, i was having serious problems with the crappy stock 17-SI alternator in my '84 corvette. i went through 3 of em in less than 2 years, and the last one had an annoying problem of cutting in and out of charging when it would heat up. i was scared that i would be stranded a few times. anyway, i decided to follow one of the tech tips found on this forum and i upgraded to a CS-144 (found in newer GM trucks) 170 amp version! now, it runs much more smoothly, starts much faster, and i can finally add my bigger stereo without fear of killing or overloading the wimpy 95 amp (i believe) stock alternator. here's exactly what i did to complete the installation (and i am not sure but i believe this would be mostly the same on an '85 too):
1. obtain new CS-144 alternator and connecting harness plug. click here to see where i got mine they took their time on the shipping of the components, but they did provide quality parts, so i was not too annoyed when they finally arrived.
you will need (obviously) the alternator. they offer them in 140 amp, 170 amp, and 200 amp versions. any will work, and will be a huge upgrade from the sub-100 amp stock couterparts. you will also need the connector that simply plugs between the stock harness and the new alternator. make sure you get the one that is for cars WITHOUT a "no charge" light; it has a special resistor installed in it. without said resistor, i was told that the alternator would be damaged within days.
this is the part number for the connector you need: D1-W1204

2. after receiving your new parts, remove your old alternator. i wish i had pictures to better illustrate the slight mods you will need to make to accomodate the different case of the CS-144, but i will try to explain.
the main front bolts will fit without a problem. there are two support brackets on the back of the alternator (this is for '84-i am not sure about '85). the longer bracket will need to be remove totally, or a custom one will need to be fabbed for this. i chose to remove it totally, as the alternator is still very firmly placed without this longer bracket.
the second, smaller bracket actually consists of two pieces. one piece is a straight section, while the other piece is a bent section, but they both are mounted to the same lower hole in the alternator.
to fit the CS-144, you will need to remove the straight section of the bracket. (very easily done, remove one bolt and throw piece on the ground to your left as i did) the bent section of the bracket will need to be bent a little more to make the bolt hole line up. i simply placed it in a vice and tapped it lightly with a hammer until it lined up with the bolt holes correctly. after everything was installed, i took a level and made sure the alternator was still square with the rest of the accessories (to avoide putting strain of the belt if the alt. was not totally even with everything else)
again, i apologize for not having pictures of this procedure, but when you get under the hood you will see the brackets i am talking about.
3. connect the stock harness to the new connector, and plug said connector into the alternator.
4. enjoy!

thats all there is to upgrading to a much higher quality part that will last many, many more years than the stock crap.

please feel free to PM me with any questions concerning this install. i hope i explained it well enough, i am very tired right now...

Last edited by radwebster; 06-20-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:16 PM
DRAKEFAMILY2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write-up, if mine fails this is the way i'm going.

Quick Reply: could not be happier with my '84 alternator upgrade!!