C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

why young guns don't like vettes

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 03:08 PM
young grasshopper
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why young guns don't like vettes

well i am the son of a member here ( won't say for the sake of not embarassing him if i say something stupid ) and i read your long thread on why kids don't like vettes.

Let me first say i drive a 91' nissan maxima and i was all into the import thing. when we were looking for vettes i saw a 300zxTT and a turbo rx7. when i saw the rx7 i was like "The hell with vettes get this!" .

Now the reason why not every young gun like me likes vettes is because they haven't sat behind the wheel. When we did get the vette, my dad said " wanna drive for a bit?". i was like ok. after i got a feel for it he told me to step on it. i was like "...damn I GOT TO GET ME ONE OF THESE!!!!" ( in the same way from the movie Independence day when will smith first piolets the alian space craft). Thats changed me. i went from looking at tubo kits and dumb exhaust systems for my 3.0 v-6 to begging my dad to get a cam or long tube headers for the vette. Inadition to that i was the vette for my dad all the time to get the chance to drive it to the sunday muscle car meets.

Ian
Old 06-18-2005, 03:11 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Are you sure you're old enough to be driving Dad's 'Vette, grasshopper?

Larry
code5coupe
Old 06-18-2005, 03:26 PM
young grasshopper
Pro

yes, its been a long night and i had finals yesterday sorry for grammer.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:45 PM
SHINOBI-X
Drifting

Good story and nice to hear your change of heart!

gotta admit though....your taste in imports ins't bad at all. atleast those are respectable turbo cars that are ahead of the game even at their age. a few friends and i have home made shirts that say,"SPEED KILLS! save lives and drive a honda." all the import guys hate it when we wear em'.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:00 PM
young grasshopper
Pro

Originally Posted by SHINOBI-X
Good story and nice to hear your change of heart!

gotta admit though....your taste in imports ins't bad at all. atleast those are respectable turbo cars that are ahead of the game even at their age. a few friends and i have home made shirts that say,"SPEED KILLS! save lives and drive a honda." all the import guys hate it when we wear em'.

must find that shirt for a friend... i still do enjoy most imports for the bang for the buck factor but i like c4 vettes better.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:36 PM
AZC4Guy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grasshopper. It speaks well for you that you were able to easily see the allure of the finest car ever made. Welcome to the light, youngster.
You are one of us now.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:15 PM
92WettVette
Intermediate

Grasshopper, we have alot incommon. First, my name is also Ian. we are right about the same age i assume (20), and I had a maxima for awhile, then a 93 300ZX TT. I have seen the light and now love vettes!
Old 06-18-2005, 05:57 PM
young grasshopper
Pro

i think i may be the youngest member at 16 and still in high school ( literaly, i don't get out till the 21st / )
Old 06-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Tp paraphrase a long ago TV show:

"When you can take the keys from my hand, young Grasshoper, it will be time for you to leave".
Old 06-18-2005, 07:20 PM
92WettVette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by young grasshopper
i think i may be the youngest member at 16 and still in high school ( literaly, i don't get out till the 21st / )
the 21st? wow, havent most high schools been our for close to a month now? i have 3 brothers and sister that are still in HS, they got out about a month ago, even with the added days that the county added on for missed school due to the hurricanes.

Good luck on those finals grades!!
Old 06-18-2005, 08:20 PM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Steel Blue 91
Tp paraphrase a long ago TV show:

"When you can take the keys from my hand, young Grasshoper, it will be time for you to leave".

Old 06-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

must find that shirt for a friend... i still do enjoy most imports for the bang for the buck factor but i like c4 vettes better.
Nothing wrong with the 300zx turbo, nor the RX7 turbo! Although I've heard some stories about reliability issues with the 300zx's, but then every car gets tagged with stories.

I have a lot of respect for the new crop of Soobs: STI and Legacy GT to be exact. I could definitely own a Legacy GT-- call it a grown-up's STI. I just wish they'd made the front a little less like a Ford Taurus, just more aggressive, but then again it makes that car one hell of a sleeper, too, as far as no one suspecting you're capable of 0-60 in the mid to high 5's (w/ the manual trans). And the STI is just bad butt, except if I ever had one I'd have to have that over stated wing removed and a more subdued one installed that better complimented the car-- that wing kills the cars looks to me, but I guess the kids like those kind.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:01 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i still do enjoy most imports for the bang for the buck factor
Your talking about at the gas pump right
Old 06-18-2005, 10:00 PM
ot180
Instructor

i never saw the post about young people not liking vettes, but i cant believe them. Since i was old enough to open the vette door on my own ive wanted one. I recently aquired my first one. 1994 vette convert. Im 22. We have 3 vettes in the family and i wouldnt have it any other way. You can count on this guy to be a life long owner. I plan to make my trip to Mecca as well. Or as some of you call it Bowling Green.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:06 AM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Nothing against young kids, so please don't bite my head off, but I don't believe it is the greatest idea to put a youngster behind the wheel of a Corvette. The relatively new driver has not had much experience behind the wheel of any automobile and placing him/her behind the wheel of a powerhouse, such as the Corvette is an invitation to "try her out."

New drivers, by virtue of their lack of driving experience do not know how to handle the car (any car) in an emergency type situation as well as those who have garnered much experiencce. Granted, not all kids will mash the pedal of the Corvette down to the floor, but the majority of them, just because of their age, will. I know. You know. We were all young, once.

I believe that a beginning driver should drive as their first car something that doesn't scream to drive fast. My first car was a 77 Chevy Nova with a straight 6. It wasn't fast, but peppy enough to go when I needed it to. It wasn't a chick magnet, but I didn't feel the need to floor it every time I got in the car. If my child wanted a Corvette as his first car, I would respond with an astounding, "NO."
Old 06-19-2005, 04:11 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So what you're saying is, we need to start a 'realignment' program for de-ricing kids. We'll gather them up at street races, and take them to a race track, put them behind the wheel of a zr1, or any corvette for that matter.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:39 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
So what you're saying is, we need to start a 'realignment' program for de-ricing kids. We'll gather them up at street races, and take them to a race track, put them behind the wheel of a zr1, or any corvette for that matter.
Not even that, just any V8 really. Once you realize what TORQUE is, you'll never want any other drug.

Get notified of new replies

To why young guns don't like vettes

Old 06-19-2005, 05:37 AM
ClarenceT
Drifting

21 here, have had vette for over a year now, but always loved them. But then again, I worked on my dad's when I was little, etc etc.

Bought the c4 because of $$$, or lack there of. My golden goose is a '71 'ray for looks, and of course 2010 should net me a used c6
Old 06-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought my little 4-cyl Cutlass was pretty quick until a friend of mine let me drive his IROC. Even that tired and worn out 305 would have stomped my car. When that same friend later upgraded to a LT1 6-spd it was all over for me, I knew I had to have one some day.

Now I had always liked Vettes though. I could have had an F-body for a lot less money, I just don't like them as much. I don't really know why but I have always liked Vettes. I have never liked any of the imports, I couldn't really tell you why.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:35 AM
CMYC4GO
Melting Slicks

I handed off my 76 to my son a few years ago, and he has given it nothing but TLC, however, he used imports for his daily drivers (much to my distaste) Anyway, to make a long story short, he recently bought an 05 350Z. As anti-japanese cars as I am, I gotta tell you, dad was mighty impressed. That car is lacking nothing. I will always be a die hard Corvette fanatic, but when it comes time to replace the "fam" car, I'm seriously going to consider having a Nissan or Toyota product sitting in the driveway.

Quick Reply: why young guns don't like vettes