Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

isin`t there anything easy to work on on these cars?

Old 06-11-2005, 09:48 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default isin`t there anything easy to work on on these cars?

I picked up two like new emblems ( front/rear ) for my `87 for free from my favorite Corvette recycling yard,( Contemporary Corvette). The rear one goes on without incident after using a heat gun to loosen the damn glue that had the old one welded to the gas door. The front one however, has those two little holes to get at the 10mm nuts, & of course as soon as I get one off it falls down into the hood. Now it looks like I have to take a plate off that holds the two little hood lift assists. What a PIA

end of rant
Old 06-11-2005, 10:25 PM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a magnet on a stick first.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:37 PM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I tried a magnet on a piece of string, string broke and now I have half a dozen of those little metal self threading nuts and a magnet down somewhere in the hood. I also tried a light/magnet on the end of a 12 inch flexible shaft, and got nothing. Someone said they make noise shifting around down the bottom of the hood but I've never heard any noise from them. You can pick up the nuts at any good hardware store. Now I keep a dozen of them handy if I ever need them again. I did find a trick that someone here talked about. In the end of the 10mm deep well socket, put something sticky inside the socket so when the nut comes off it sticks to the socket instead of falling into the abyss of the hood.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:15 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by CREWZIN
I tried a magnet on a piece of string, string broke and now I have half a dozen of those little metal self threading nuts and a magnet down somewhere in the hood. I also tried a light/magnet on the end of a 12 inch flexible shaft, and got nothing. Someone said they make noise shifting around down the bottom of the hood but I've never heard any noise from them. You can pick up the nuts at any good hardware store. Now I keep a dozen of them handy if I ever need them again. I did find a trick that someone here talked about. In the end of the 10mm deep well socket, put something sticky inside the socket so when the nut comes off it sticks to the socket instead of falling into the abyss of the hood.
Thats a good idea!-- Thanks
Old 06-11-2005, 11:20 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I did the impossible and retrieved one from inside the hood. I was able to fish around there and come up with it. The nuts aren't very magnetic.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:35 PM
okies93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor 06

should have read this thread before you started. it was posted within the last couple of days. it would have saved you some headache.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...88&forum_id=34
Old 06-11-2005, 11:54 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by okies93
should have read this thread before you started. it was posted within the last couple of days. it would have saved you some headache.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...88&forum_id=34
except the emblems I got did not come with nuts. I needed the old ones from my car
Old 06-12-2005, 12:08 AM
okies93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor 06

i am not trying to be a smart azz, but i wished i had a camera on everyone that replaced that front emblem. that one little nut that falls off in the void area would produce all kinds of reactions. i have read a lot of post here about the one that fell off. yes i know that i am kinda poking fun here and yes my emblems need to be replaced badly and yes i have jinxed myself when i go to change mine out and i will probably say all the same words that you all said. but think about all the priceless looks one could collect from this little and simple project.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:24 AM
eboler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am not trying to be a smart azz, but i wished i had a camera on everyone that replaced that front emblem. that one little nut that falls off in the void area would produce all kinds of reactions. i have read a lot of post here about the one that fell off. yes i know that i am kinda poking fun here and yes my emblems need to be replaced badly and yes i have jinxed myself when i go to change mine out and i will probably say all the same words that you all said. but think about all the priceless looks one could collect from this little and simple project.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:53 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

but i wished i had a camera on everyone that replaced that front emblem. that one little nut that falls off in the void area would produce all kinds of reactions.
Id rather hear the audio!! New ways to use the same word as a verb, adjective, noun, etc, etc.,
Old 06-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I think okies93 was referring to the tip embedded in all those threads to that post. I suggested to those doing the front emblem to use a deep well socket and take some clay (some from left over claying of your car or playdoh) and put it inside the socket. When you push that socket onto the nut, it makes it stick and you won't drop it. Another consideration if one doesn't have something to insert into the socket is to tuck a rag into the hole, I used that process when I removed the console and the passenger side nut can fall into an opening in the console in a similar fashion if one dropped the little nut.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:55 AM
myvettesblue
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05

luckily a lady hit mine so the body shop got to put on the emblem i had bought for my old hood
Old 06-12-2005, 11:18 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

I went to the Dollar Store last week and found for $1.00, an 18" magnet on a thin stiff wire and included was an 18" wire that had a claw on one end and a hook to open and close the claw. Works great.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:30 AM
bdvdvh7
Burning Brakes

i will never change my emblems now... and unless you are mechanically inclined, no, nothing is easy to work on with these cars...
Old 06-12-2005, 12:04 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thats what makes 'em unique! But at least we can SEE the spark plugs. Ever looked under the hood of the other exotic cars?
Old 06-12-2005, 01:42 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

The clay advice from 93 jet jocky worked great. got `em off in no time without loseing the speed nuts. Stuffed a small towel between the new emblem & the front facia, while installing the nuts on the new emblem. It kept the emblem in place while tightening it up.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:45 AM
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

If you dont have any clay just use some grease. I use it all the time. When putting them on, use a piece of paper. Lay a piece of paper thats about as big as a stamp on top of the socket, then push the nut down into the socket. The paper will hold it tight.

Get notified of new replies

To isin`t there anything easy to work on on these cars?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: isin`t there anything easy to work on on these cars?