Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I need help........... with the wife!!! First Post

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 08:11 PM
JCD
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My question is: How long has your wife know that you wanted a corvette? If you sprung it on her all at once I could understand her resisting. Corvette ownership doesn't have to be the most expensive hobby in the world, but it does have a pretty big cost of entry.

I pestered my wife about a corvette from before we were married, after almost 4 years of marriage I got one.

With that being said your wife must be pretty reasonable, you showed her this thread and lived to tell about it....
Old 05-09-2005, 09:08 PM
ziggyzz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy I am going to like being part of this forum, very diverse comments all around. But the big thing is that no post was rude, overall a very adult conversation. That is hard to find on the web these days!!

Just a update:
-I have several e-mails out waiting for replies
-My mechanic is part of the local corvette club and is looking for me
-I check several online sites whenever possible
-There is about 10 different vette's in my price range around here
BEST OF ALL

I took all next week off to shop - First vacation in two years

Thank You,
Rob
Old 05-09-2005, 09:29 PM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Good luck brother your starting to live the dream and addiction.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:05 PM
fasttrack87
Cruising

I had a similar senario where we were buying a house with a new baby on the way and needed money so I sold my car 88 monte ss, ski's, guitar well you get the picture. well about ten years later I decided to sell my truck and buy another car I enjoyed driving. I always wanted a vette so after owning trans-ams camaro's ect I made the plunge and bought vette. A fixer-upper for $4800. now I have to live with her attitude and she has to deal with the reality of my love for cars. Keeps me busy for sure!! Mike
Old 05-09-2005, 11:36 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My (or our's as my wife keeps correcting me) First Vette was a 81. All she said was "If you can get it, without any help from me... you can have it!" So being un-employed at the time... I traded down from a 86 Grand National to a 81 Corvette. This is how the deal went, I made them an offer (dealer) $4,750 on the 81 Vette. Sold or traded my 86 GN $9,500. So I also received a Check for $4,750.
Second Vette, I traded up from a 89 BMW M3 to a 90 Corvette! Here's how that deal work out. I traded the 89 BMW M3 that I still owed $11,500... for the 90 Vette that they were asking $22.000. I didn't pay anything down. But the 89 M3 was still worth $18K-$19K so my new balance went up from $11,500 to $15,500 with no down payment!
Third Vette, the Vice President of the Company I work for, up-graded from a 93 Vette to a 99 Vette (FRC). So she asked if I was still interested in her 93? I said Yes if it was priced right, because I really didn't need another Vette since I already had 2! Well, she started too high at first, but after a couple of month's I bought it for $13,500. Again I asked my wife about another Vette she said again "If you can get it without my help (co-sign) from me you can have it! Well I went to the bank got a car loan for $10K Payments were $248 a month (I already had $3,500 in my savings account). Done Deal and I still have all 3 Vettes! They do keep me busy. P.S. All 5 of our cars are Paid For! (3 Vettes,1 96'SUV,& 1 93'Cavalier)
Good Luck and enjoy the hunt!
I asked my wife about Vette #4 ... she said NO! So maybe I'll surprise her!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

The BEST thing is your wife is on board with the idea

Nothing better than cruising in your vette with your babe

Good luck in your search!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:37 AM
olman
Racer

Your wife is going to look even better wearing a vette
Old 05-10-2005, 02:06 PM
TALMADGE
Racer

I feel your pain. I kept working on the wife until she finally gave in. She only had one request. No payments, funny she said that when my money goes to all the bills except for groceries. Still don't understand that statement from her. I sold my truck for the vette and bought a beater truck for 800.00. Now I am working to get a better everday truck agian to give the vette some needed time to rest. (It will be done by the years end.)
Old 05-10-2005, 02:31 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I was just straight up with my wife. She already knew I had a passion for 'Vettes. When the economy tumbled in 2001, I went for it. I never thought I'd be able to get an LT1 but lo and behold!

Of course, we'd already purchased our first home, paid off the DD, saved up some money and had our first child.

Four years later I have no regrets. I even purchased a new minivan for my wife two years ago (her choice of color, make, model,) for being so understanding about my 'Vette dreams!
Old 05-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Just buy it...
Old 05-10-2005, 04:09 PM
MinnesotaWhite
Le Mans Master

Who's the mechanic? White knows everyone in Minnesota that claims they turn wrenches on Vettes

As for looking for a car, it's not going to happen in a week unless you get really lucky or aren't that picky.

It took me 4 months to find mine, and I eventually bought it from a small dealer north of Brainerd. Found it online, ran the VIN on carfax, called the dealer and explained my criteria for a car (how perfect it has to be) and then jumped in a plane and flew up to see it (eventually bought it...ya I'm a pilot).

I saw sooooo much junk out there...get a carfax report!!! It's not gospel but it at least gives you a idea of the cars past.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:26 PM
azzkikr
Pro

Originally Posted by MikeC4
heh heh... I am on with my 6th vette and 3rd wife...want advice from me? I think not! But as Cvette Kid NC states "the Vette and any other toys I have will be non-negotiable", marriages on the other hand are always negotiable....

For similar opinions on this topic check out the thread... Do you let anyone else drive your vette... the subject of the "wife" comes up alot!

RE: the original post.... there's nothing wrong with your wife having a collar around your neck. My wife has a collar around my neck, but, I HOLD THE LEASH!!!!!!!!

...and I hope she never reads this or else she will put me on an "aggrevation installment plan"!!!

I SAY, BUY THE VETTE!!! BETTER YET, BUY TWO OF THEM, AND GIVE HER ONE! PROBLEM SOLVED...
Old 05-10-2005, 05:14 PM
tpi1986
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Cheating Biiizotch

Originally Posted by MikeC4
you have got to be shiddin' me! Dude, it is time for you to reclaim the "pants" in your family... If my wife went out and spent a small fortune on cloths each year,

In fact, here's a picture of my wife looking tarty as ever.....someone...please take her off my hands:

I thought she only had eyes for me. Duped again!
He is right! You are not standing in the way of her purchases "cloths" and the Vette is a Vette for gods sake. It will probably last longer than her clothing style. My wife made a small stink when I purchased my Vette. She still thinks it is useless because her and my daughter can not ride in it at the same time. (Good Point if you ask me)

Life is too short not to have some fun. If a Vette trips your trigger then do it. My college roomate was a Stang fan. He always wanted one. He was killed in Iraq last nov. Now he will never get a chance. The point is you never know when your # is up.

My time in the Vette is often the only time I get alone. It is a great time to clear the head and asphalt. Call it a mental health break.

Good Luck
Old 05-10-2005, 05:20 PM
redcorvettedave
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggyzz
Boy I am going to like being part of this forum, very diverse comments all around. But the big thing is that no post was rude, overall a very adult conversation. That is hard to find on the web these days!!

Just a update:
-I have several e-mails out waiting for replies
-My mechanic is part of the local corvette club and is looking for me
-I check several online sites whenever possible
-There is about 10 different vette's in my price range around here
BEST OF ALL

I took all next week off to shop - First vacation in two years

Thank You,
Rob

DAMN GOOD START!!!!......Now if I had to buy my first vette
all over again this is what ....I would do.......BUy my vette from a forum
member..chance are the vette has been slightly modded already....this is a huge advantage being a member before you even bought the first vette.....if the seller lives out of town ask a fellow member who lives close to the seller to check the car out for you!!! These guys are the best appraisers of these cars on the planet!!!
invest your money up front ...buy the latest model vette you can afford!!!! That even means if you have to buy a C5......if you like the C4 vette and you are sold on them....BUY AN LT4...you will not reget it!! second choice 96LT1......but whatever you buy....go for a vette
that someone has already invest time and money in...usaully they sell
for fractions of what was put in them!!!! Man that LS1 in the C5s are hard to beat...anyway search the for sell sectons on these forums that
would be my first option!!!! PEACE!
Old 05-10-2005, 11:31 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Lets see, 3 wives and a lot more toys... as said before, wives come and go, cars are a boys toys... don't loose that boyish like to your life, you only live once, but can marry many times.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:43 PM
ziggyzz
Intermediate

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the help. I have several vettes to look at next week. I am going to see if I can find a LT1 with lower miles, but I will see its not a deal breaker. Looks like I have many to look at next week.

P.S. My mechanic is not a "vette" mechanic. He used to be a mech at a cadillac dealership that opened his own shop. He just owns a vette.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 05-10-2005, 11:48 PM
gringoray
Racer

I hate to say this but most women, especillly AW's (American women) wear the pants. They run the show. Most men, married men do as the wife says. I'm single and I do as I wish. I don't recomend marriage, especially to AW's. I hope I'm not out of line here, but I would like to plug a site where men can meet Latin women. Latinas, Colombianas are very supportive, yet not in-your-face controlling like many AW's.

www.gringos.com

It's your choice and like the old man used to say, "you can lead a horse water, but you can't make him drink".

Get notified of new replies

To I need help........... with the wife!!! First Post

Old 05-11-2005, 12:29 AM
petdoc
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 205 Posts

The reason this thread is going so far is because most of us have been in your shoes....and we didn't like it either. Being on the "have" side of the arguement, we are much bolder and free with our brave advice......I guarantee tho that when we were on the "have not" side, we were meek and squirming and doing all kinds of mental gymnastics to figure out how to make it happen. You are getting some very good, honest advice and a whole lot of BS too......You can get what you want and keep peace in the family (simultaneously) by using great patience and level-headed persistence.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:31 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Latin women are great and all, (OK theyr'e sexy as hell) but the mods don't take too well to plugging sites..
Old 05-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Alsruby
Heel & Toe

Hey, mine is an economy car. Compared to the 18 mpg in town with the minivan, 22 plus with the vette looks pretty good. (OK, so what if it's premium. )

My wife was never really against it but it took me years to finally get to a point where I could justify it (kids, college, etc.). Finally I just went out and got it, brought it home and she loves it. We have a blast with our Corvette club. You aren't just buying a car, you are investing in a lifestyle (if you want that). Corvette owners are GREAT people all around and my wife is the social beast so getting into a group where we could meet more people sold her.

Good luck. Go get one. I don't think either of you will regret it.

Quick Reply: I need help........... with the wife!!! First Post