Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

?? replacing antenna mast ribbon in 85

Old 04-11-2005, 11:39 PM
1-MORTOY
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ?? replacing antenna mast ribbon in 85

My power antenna would not go down & the motor kept running so I kind of knew what had happened. I managed to get the whole unit out of the car (that was fun !!), drilled the rivots out and opened the case.
The ribbon is broken about 3" from the metal hook end. Is there a way to repair/replace the hook end or can I just replace the mast & ribbon. I really don't want to have to buy a whole antenna assembly.
BTW: I did try a search but the archives are down.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:39 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 227 Likes on 159 Posts

Ecklers has the part to fix it. Around $20 shipped.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:24 AM
Insane1
Pro

I just replaced my antenna on mine. In order to replace it you have to remove the whole antenna motor from the car and split the case. The case is clipped and rivetted together. The little ball at the top of the mast unscrews and you thread the metal rod through the mast, replace the ball and then hook the 'J' piece of metal into the gear by the motor. The motor case then needs to be screwed back together with the supplied screws and replace the clips removed earlier. Reinstall antenna into the quarter panel.

I removed the rear wheel and inner fender well for easier access to mine. There are 2 10 mm nuts holding the lower bracket on. Once you remove that you need to reach up by the top of the mast on the inside of the quarter panel and unscrew the antenna from the car. The antenna wire to the radio is held on by 2 screws. Remove them and the wire will disconnect. I couldn't get the motor control wires out so I just cut them and spliced them back together.

Vette2vette has replacement masts for the '85. Around $25-30 shipped.

I actually replaced the whole antenna and I still have my old antenna motor taken apart so if you want some pics let me know.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:23 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, but which freakin part to order?

Ecklers shows two different part numbers for the fix, with different year spans, both which includes 1985.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:19 AM
John Robinson
Racer

Default Which Part

My Ecklers says if the motor has a black rubber sheath around it it is the Harada model and if no sheath it is the AC Delco motor. I just did this job on my 93 and found that everything was easy to get to by removing the wheel and inner fender. Be prepared to fiddle with this a couple of times and do get someone to help with starting the cable the first time.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:39 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 227 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Ok, but which freakin part to order?

Ecklers shows two different part numbers for the fix, with different year spans, both which includes 1985.

You have to look at the # printed on the antenna. If its 5048926 order
29285. If its 5048927 order 29286.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:16 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Spankyellow
You have to look at the # printed on the antenna. If its 5048926 order
29285. If its 5048927 order 29286.
I know I have the Harada unit, i THINK that's the ...927

I guess I have a 50 percent chance. Now why can't the website just say that.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:44 AM
1-MORTOY
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info everyone, I got the whole antenna out of the car ( having a garage hoist sure made that alot easier ). The wires go thru a big rubber plug so I had to remove the rear trim & pull the carpet back to get to the connectors out.
I opened up the case & the ribbon was broken about 3" from the hook. I actually found the AC Delco repair kit for the mast in stock at my local Vette shop. Got all the bits cleaned & ready to reinstall tonight.
The little tip on the mast top was a real pain to get off because it was put on with Lock-Tite, so the chrome got a little munched up.
It's always kinda satisfiying to fix it myself & not have to pay shop rates to have someone else do it.

Get notified of new replies

To ?? replacing antenna mast ribbon in 85

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ?? replacing antenna mast ribbon in 85