Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Keep the Camaro or trade for a Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Sandmann120
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep the Camaro or trade for a Vette?

I asked this question over on LS1TECH.com, and didn't get much response. I have been offered a pretty good deal to trade my '98 Z28 A4, stock with 52K mi, on a '94 M6 Vette with 90k mi. Both are stock, but neither will stay that way, depending on which one I get. I have wanted a M6 car for quite some time, and I know that these cars would be pretty even right now in the 1/4. Please help me decide, as I have to have a decision made by this weekend. Oh, and this is my first post.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:28 PM
rstackjd
Drifting

Dude - isn't this like asking asking a bunch of Catholics whether to have steak or fish on Good Friday?

I'm guessing the overwhelming response from this audience will be vette. Just a hunch.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:28 PM
smack123
Drifting

Hey, welcome to the forum....

Obviously you are likely to get a lot of repsonses favoured towards the vette (given that you are on a Corvette forum), however even if I try to remain neutral I would still overwhelmingly choose the vette.

If, as you have said it is a "good deal", so I'm assuming the $$ difference is reasonble, it's no contest, hands down, zero debate.

Go with the vette, you'll never regret it.

Check with kwik_ta, he used to be in a TA, and now has a 96 CE - he would likely have some good insight on the comparison.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Now what kind of answer were you really expecting on this forum? I'm going deep into your psyche now.... You really just want us to reinforce the decision you've already made.

Welcome to the forum and the obsession that you will soon be a part of!
Old 04-06-2005, 07:00 PM
saniterium
Race Director

I would get the Vette. You're current Z28 is still a kick-*** car speed wise, but the C4 kills it in handling (Maros have the handling of an 18-wheeler), luxury, and in Style IMO. Also...it's a CORVETTE! It's a car the most people can only dream of ever owning. So I say the get the Vette, but in the end it's up to you.

Last edited by saniterium; 04-06-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:14 PM
MarkinAZ
Instructor

Default my opinion

Get a Hyndai. It gets better mpg. Also insurance is cheaper. Noone will steal it. Plus. You won't be getting many speeding tickets.
The babes may like a Vette better, but just explain you are a cheap guy and you're saving your money for a new Schwinn
Best of luck...
Old 04-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Sandmann120
6th Gear

The thing is, most of the guys on the other forum say to hold out for a C5. I dunno what to do. Still waiting to hear back from the car dealer. He also has a '73 he tried trading me, but it's pretty trashed. I still haven't decided yet.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:38 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If you can get your hands on a clean M6, go for it. Your camaro is a quick car, but once you cruise the vette around for awhile you'll never go back. I'd recommend driving both a C4 and C5 to see which fits your tastes better. Personally i'd for the C4 and throw some mods at it.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:59 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Dude, get the Vette.

Try out a few first, see what you like. C4, C5... who cares. They're both fantastic.

Take your F body out into the twisties and throw it into a turn. I mean really throw it into the turn... Mmhmm. Now try the same thing in the Vette... cool, huh????

'Nuff said.

Welcome to your new life!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:07 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

One thing that you might find surprsing is that the Corvette will probably be cheaper to insure! A few years ago I went to my insurance agent with a list of cars I was thinking of buying. Among them were a new Viper GTS, an Acura NSX, a Z-06 Corvette, and a Camaro. The Camaro was WAAAY more expensive to insure than any of them due to the claim frequency associated with them.

Just something to munch on.

Oh, and my opinion? I'd take the Camaro over the 'Vette for the fun per dollar quotent. A C4 isn't going to out straight-line it and in real-street, the added handling quotent won't (shouldn't) be explored.

Personally, I think the '98 Camaro is a beautiful car.

Tom.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:09 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Oh yeah, and if you can stand an 86 Z51, bring me your Camaro and take mine home. I'm only 40 minutes from the Iowa border.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:10 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

For!
What!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:15 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tpiini
One thing that you might find surprsing is that the Corvette will probably be cheaper to insure! A few years ago I went to my insurance agent with a list of cars I was thinking of buying. Among them were a new Viper GTS, an Acura NSX, a Z-06 Corvette, and a Camaro. The Camaro was WAAAY more expensive to insure than any of them due to the claim frequency associated with them.

Just something to munch on.

Oh, and my opinion? I'd take the Camaro over the 'Vette for the fun per dollar quotent. A C4 isn't going to out straight-line it and in real-street, the added handling quotent won't (shouldn't) be explored.

Personally, I think the '98 Camaro is a beautiful car.

Tom.
Yeah, they're nice cars but a local dealer has a 98 Camaro Z/28 A4 for $9,800. A 96 Spd will be a bit more, here they're at $15,000.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:22 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though the C4 has been depreciating as of late when grouped with all the Corvette models, I believe it will ultimately be worth more than the Camaro. Granted, the Camaro is a cool car, but I doubt you will find many people on this forum advising you to get the Camaro over the Vette. Get the Vette. You won't be sorry. It is one fine automobile. Just ensure you get one that doesn't need major surgery.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Sandmann120
6th Gear

yeah, and this guy only wants about $500 for trade difference. Thats the other side of the coin. If I build a new motor for the vette, I can still get at least $10k out of it. It SHOULDN'T lose much value. I gotta say, I'm leaning towards the Vette.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:28 PM
onebighitter
Racer

Get the vette
Old 04-06-2005, 08:31 PM
saniterium
Race Director

Originally Posted by tpiini
One thing that you might find surprsing is that the Corvette will probably be cheaper to insure!
My '92 was cheaper to insure than my '01 V6 Stang!

Get notified of new replies

To Keep the Camaro or trade for a Vette?

Old 04-06-2005, 10:14 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by smack123
Hey, welcome to the forum....

Obviously you are likely to get a lot of repsonses favoured towards the vette (given that you are on a Corvette forum), however even if I try to remain neutral I would still overwhelmingly choose the vette.

If, as you have said it is a "good deal", so I'm assuming the $$ difference is reasonble, it's no contest, hands down, zero debate.

Go with the vette, you'll never regret it.

Check with kwik_ta, he used to be in a TA, and now has a 96 CE - he would likely have some good insight on the comparison.
I had a 91 TA that I sunk a ton of money in. It did handle just as well, but that was also after I dumped $3k into the suspension. When I went to buy a different car, I was set on getting a newer TA, but the prices of the cars were ridiculous.

The vette, even though it is an LT1, should have no problems tearing up an LS1 car on the track. Mr. Mojo has yet to loose to one in a stock LT1 car. (if memory serves me). The vette is also a far superior design and the car alone demands instant respect no matter how idiotic the owner may be.

Everyone compares their car and performance to a Corvette... just look at any other auto forum where someone has crossed paths with the Corvette. The car is an icon... the ZF tranny is stronger than the T56, the Dana 44 is stronger than the 10 bolt, mods aren't that much more expensive (although there is an inherent Corvette tax that must be dealt with), and the maturity and intelligence of the standard Corvette owner is generally higher than most. On another note, idiots with money can still buy one of these.

I've driven several F-bodies, autos, manuals, LT1, LS1, TPI, carbed, you name it... none of them have been a direct comparison to the vette if all things are equal. That is not to take away from the glory of the F-body, but GM really spared no expense when they created a vette, where corners were cut to develop the F-bodies. There is a reason they are referred to as the poor man's Corvette.

I am part of a local F-body club and I promise you that none of them can hang with me on an AutoX course or road course... or even twisties. I took one of my F-body friends on a ride in my LT4... stomped the marshmellow to the firewall at 30mph and did not catch traction until 3rd gear. All I have is mufflers, hollowed MAF, cut lid with K&N, and a B&M shifter... I have yet to find an F-body that can do that with more extensive mods.

F-bodies are solid cars that are nice, fun, sporty cars that brought an aggressive edge to the pony car realm. The Corvette has been competing with the likes of Porsche, Vipers, NSX's, BMW M3's, Aston Martin, Lotus, and other cars of very high caliber. They have competed and often won and doing it at a fraction of the price to the end user.

My vote is for the Corvette... but you have to look at the value of the purchase. If some one came up and offered a 4th gen MN6 and $10k cash... I'd sell the vette for an F-body... but I wouldn't be without another one for long. I paid $17k for a Collector's Edition LT4 that only had 28k on the clock. I did this because the 98 TA I was looking at with 72K carried a price of $16,500. Which deal would you have taken???
Old 04-06-2005, 10:20 PM
smack123
Drifting

Your cash difference is only $500???? Wow, I figured it'd be a few grand.

DOOOOO IIIIITTTTTTT NOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:35 PM
flylowguy
Instructor

Default Get the 'Vette

I got my first Vette just a few months ago. Somehow I got lured toward the Camaros in the past: a '67 SS350 (bought new), an '84, and a '96. I enjoyed those Camaros.
I enjoy the Corvette much more.

Quick Reply: Keep the Camaro or trade for a Vette?