C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Give the Ford Mustang owners respect

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 09:45 PM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give the Ford Mustang owners respect

There's always alot of bashing of the Mustang going on by us Corvette owners and their is no doubt in my mind which cars are better. I am one of those guys who will never buy a foreign car for the simple fact its the least I can do to help the American economy and our work force. Lets give the mustang respect for the fact its American made and there trying there best to keep us on our toes and adding the mods to stay in front.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:47 PM
saniterium
Race Director

I don't bash 'em. Hell I own one and am driving it right now while the Vettes in the shop. Sure I'm selling the Stang next week, but the respect is still there.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Mikez40
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why? A mustang is not even in the same class as a Corvette.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:49 PM
ClarenceT
Drifting

And you realize that both ford and GM produce about as many cars here as toyota, right...

Anyway, that aside I'll give my respect to whomever deserves it. If some kid keeps plugging his COBRA (not to be confused with a mustang, excuse me) in every sport car related thread that comes up I'll tell him to find a new hobby. If the same guy says that for the money he'd rather have that then a $90k NSX, I'll give him a thumbs up.

Speaking of, what an overpriced pile of **** that NSX is. Yes I've driven one, that's what got me going
Old 03-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Redparrot5
Instructor

Corvette vs. Mustang has been more of a sibling rivalry for decades. Mustangs aren't legitimate sports cars, and I think that's becomming more evident. But I'll admit, when I saw that the C6 competed against the Porsche 911 in Car and Driver, and the new Mustang competed with the family sedans class, I couldn't help a huge grin.

Don't forget - back in 50's, the Thunderbird tried to overthrow the Corvette ... look who's laughing now...

At the end of the day, we're all on the same team
Old 03-09-2005, 10:10 PM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

Lets not forget that Gm got rid of the Camaro SS and I dont think they make TA's any more. Whats left of the American sports cars under 40k is the Mustang. I can appreciate a person buying a Mustang over say a Subaru STI
Old 03-09-2005, 10:23 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't look down and trash talk them either know why? Because I don't want to act like viper owners....

viper owners look down on us right and bash us all the time and you guys seem to think that silly and stupid well if you bash the stangs you're doing the same thing.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

We almost bought a Mustang for the wife's DD. Decided on a GTO instead
I respect all cars even rice. These guys getting mega HP out of a Civic, I respect that although I'd never own one.
I used to be big on buy American BUT the reality is ALOT of parts for American cars come from all over the world.
Out of the 40+ cars I've owned in my life only one was rice, an '88 Maxima, have to say it was a fun car while I owned it
Old 03-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey mustangs are ok cars, just as long as they stay in their own class. Keep in mind they threw the first blow thinking they were in the same class as a Corvette years ago. Kids need to stay in there place.

BTW: I would own one but I would'nt compare to my Vette.

Last edited by Alcee1; 03-09-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:35 PM
saniterium
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alcee1
Hey mustangs are ok cars, just as long as they stay in their own class. Keep in mind they threw the first blow thinking they were in the same class as a Corvette years ago. Kids need to stay in there place.
HAHA What kids, or anyone for that matter, think that Mustangs are in the same class as Corvette? I'm only 19 and when I had to drive the Mustang before I got the Vette, I always looked up to Vettes as the vastly superior car...same with all of my old Mustang buddies.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:36 PM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rex Ruby
We almost bought a Mustang for the wife's DD. Decided on a GTO instead
I respect all cars even rice. These guys getting mega HP out of a Civic, I respect that although I'd never own one.
I used to be big on buy American BUT the reality is ALOT of parts for American cars come from all over the world.
Out of the 40+ cars I've owned in my life only one was rice, an '88 Maxima, have to say it was a fun car while I owned it
Mega hp out of Civic!!! A 600 hp Civic has a 450 hp shot of NOS on it. Its kinda of like seeing if Sammy Sosa can hit over 40 homers this year for Baltimore without the juice. Its not real muscle.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:38 PM
saniterium
Race Director

Originally Posted by bobmic93
Mega hp out of Civic!!! A 600 hp Civic has a 450 hp shot of NOS on it. Its kinda of like seeing if Sammy Sosa can hit over 40 homers this year for Baltimore without the juice. Its not real muscle.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:39 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

I wouldn't respect a mustang, but I don't hate the car. I usually only hate the losers stang-bangers who drive them and think their car is 'all-that'.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Redparrot5
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrNuke
I wouldn't respect a mustang, but I don't hate the car. I usually only hate the losers stang-bangers who drive them and think their car is 'all-that'.

The Mustang owners I've met are usually out to prove something, where as the two Viper owners I've met acted like it was a joke that they showed up at a Corvette's only car show.
A Mustang is a Mustang, no "pretending" will change that. A Corvette is a Corvette, and I don't think the Viper owners will have much to smile about anyway when the new Z06 hits the streets...
Old 03-09-2005, 10:49 PM
96dblblack
Pro

Originally Posted by bobmic93
There's always alot of bashing of the Mustang going on by us Corvette owners and their is no doubt in my mind which cars are better. I am one of those guys who will never buy a foreign car for the simple fact its the least I can do to help the American economy and our work force. Lets give the mustang respect for the fact its American made and there trying there best to keep us on our toes and adding the mods to stay in front.
If that is how you feel than buy a Toyota and help out a few of my friends that assemble them at the Toyota plant here in Kentucky.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:58 PM
C4396roadster
Pro

I think its all good respect is earned I have had plenty of mustangs and would not hesitate to get one more my present project car is
fox body with cartech race turbo set for 30psi eventually when this is done will probably be a DD

anyhow I dont think a factory stang is by any mean a sports car but who the hell keeps their cars stock anyway? I have full griggs racing suspension on mine and the vette still has a nicer ride somewhat anyhow enough bs from me latas!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:01 PM
tonymax2
Burning Brakes

I like GM cars, owned a few other makes but 80% GM. I'm familiar with them. Probably why I stay with them. I've got nothing in particular against Fords, they've had some good designs too but think the SBC is the greatest engine ever made. When my boys were looking to get their first decent cars I suggested the 'stang mainly 'cause it's about the only reasonable rear wheel drive left. One bought a Honda Prelude, the other a Toyota Camary, both with my help--go figure. I wasn't too bummed 'cause both are good cars. I'm still hoping to get them into American branded rear wheel drive but who knows with kids.

There really is no comparison between 'stangs and 'vettes. 'Vettes are way more sophisticated and have been for decades. I could build a pinto that would outrun a 'vette-it's all about weight and HP but all roads are not straight! If a 'stang driver knows what he's about, knows his machine and treats the road and other drivers with respect I'll back him up. Maybe he just likes the car, maybe he can't afford a pricier machine just yet, maybe a lot of things-who knows. I'll judge by actions.

Remember, when the T-bird came out in '55 it's sales cleaned the 'vettes clock for it's entire 3-year, 2-seated life. If Ford hadn't made the biggest mistake in it's entire history by adding seats, the t-bird would probably be the only American sports car now. 'Vettes were on the ropes and probably would have gotten the GM ax-it was a very close call back then. Duntov and the SBC saved the 'vette. In my minds eye, the '57 'bird is the finest looking car ever built, followed by the '64 'vette. Ford killed the 'bird and the 'vette got better and better. The 'stang is Fords' mea culpa-give them a little more time-maybe they'll get it right someday and we can have some real head-to-head competition. IMNSHO

Get notified of new replies

To Give the Ford Mustang owners respect

Old 03-09-2005, 11:06 PM
gotn2o?
Intermediate

I own both. I have a 96 Mustang convertible for my daughter to drive. It's a pretty nice car, especially for a teenager.

Of course, when I bought the Corvette 3 weeks ago, the Mustang's parking space was no longer in the garage....
Old 03-09-2005, 11:22 PM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 96dblblack
If that is how you feel than buy a Toyota and help out a few of my friends that assemble them at the Toyota plant here in Kentucky.
A lot more people are feeding their families in Japan off the sale of a Toyota then here in US. Many members of my family and inlaws buy foriegn cars. Makes me want to puke. Buy American, the job you save may be your own.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:27 PM
newyiddy20
Melting Slicks

well........i thought the mustangs competition was camaros,trans ams,miata,supras,those types! as far as american iron.......please please please understand this,i am an AMERICAN,PROUD,THANK YOU! the build quality of my 98 vert is SUSPECT,to say the least!! it was built by people just like me and my neighbors and friends and co-workers,no i dont build cars, but im an american worker, i know the deal! i would like to support my country and its economy as i live here,but, that doesnt help when im on the side of the road in my american iron,stranded because of a transmission failure,due to poor design or some other failure because of job one inadaqucies! the engineering and desing of the corvette is imho OUTSTANDING, the execution is lacking. still bought a GM product after swearing to never purchase a car of that make after owning just one of their cars in the 80's(Buick Riviera) that was a complete and i mean,a complete failure. the vettes siren song got to me,i hope im not disappointed,i pray!! as boring as the japanese cars can be...and i owned a few, they are realiable as all hell,thats why they are kicking our asses!

Quick Reply: Give the Ford Mustang owners respect