Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Darth Vadar inspired me???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:07 AM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Darth Vadar inspired me???

Ok... Ok... I know what you're thinking, but this is somewhat serious so please keep all flaming to a minimum...

Ole Darth posted a thread regarding his adventures with the new Mustang and his opinions regarding it. I argued my point that the Mustang is in a different class of car and GM has given up on the mid level sports car. I still stand by my point and others agreed for what ever reason. Well...

It got me thinking... I remember at one point that the import super sports car market including the Mazda RX-7, Toyota Supra, Nissan 300Z, and Mitsubishi 3000 priced themselves out of the market. I wonder if that ultimately lead to the death of the F-bodies?

The new Mustang can be had for under $30k and puts out 300hp, comes with a warranty, can be easily financed, and is a great option for someone looking for a neat car at a good price. Now I know there is also the factor of depreciation and I realize that the C4 can be had for less, but at what point will the C4 value bottom out before the value begins to increase?

I bought my 96 because I liked this body style the best and I know our cars will never gain the values of the C2 stingrays and such, but what is the consensus of our cars and their respected value? Will these things become a sought after item in the future? And at what point to you all think the new Corvettes will hit a price ceiling? And finally, any speculations on GM's plans to compete in the "pony car" market?

Discuss please... now come Pinky... we have work to do...
Old 03-09-2005, 10:22 AM
ToyC4
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
Default Darth vs. Pionexxxx!

Honestly I think our cars will probably be 30 years old before they start to appreciate, and at that point I think certain years and models will be worth a lot more: all ZR1's and Callaways, first and last years of model/body style, anniversary cars, all CE's, LT4's, and Grand Sports.

What I'm saying is if you spent $100k right now and bought five collectible c4's they would probably triple their value in 30 years. If you invest your $100k you could also triple the value in 30 years. If you buy a one owner 92 with 57k miles and invest $25k in it there's no good way to put this you're just screwed.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:24 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

C4 prices bottom out? When the car is about 20 years old. This means the first C4's have about tanked and our '96 models will keep losing value for a LONG time.

C4 becominging a "sought-after" item: they already are.

Price ceiling on NEW Corvettes?? Put the bong down and step away.

Pony car market for GM? No. They are getting into the Solstice (and another based on the Solstice platform...just can't remember the name/brand) as their youth-type market. That's how I read it.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 03-09-2005, 10:25 AM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

FYI GM is talking about a possible f-body car in 2007, they have to realize they just lost a huge chunk of the market that the G6 and the GTO can't take back or compete with.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:26 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have been around for a while and have seen this before. One of my friends sold his 58 Corvette around the early 70s for $750. It was in good shape and looked sharp. It had bottomed out and he thought it to be obsolete due to new technology. Guess what those puppies are going for now - old technology and everything?!. I can remember reading some car mags in the 80s that advised folks to buy mid year Vettes as they were good values. It seem like they could be bought for under 10K at the time. They were thought to be obsolete. It was not too long ago that the chrome bumper Sharks were available for under 10K too. I think time will be kind to a well preserved/maintained C4. It may take another 15 to 20 years though.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:34 AM
SilverBeast
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05
Default I bought my '96 CE

because I love the way it looks and handles and I love to drive it. I have not even considered resale value. I probably will give it to my grand-daughter when she's ready to drive and buy myself a new one.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:34 AM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A car any car has to appeal to the buyers in that niche.
The import rockets failed to gain market share. Cost of maintenace is a big factor when buying a new car. The RX7 had tunning problems with the dealerships.

As far as the gaining in value name a Corvette that hasn't?
C-4's are on the list to see a future increase in value.

The C-4 isn't old enough to have gained a collector following.

The mid years are hot right now and they have been for awhile.
I paid $600.00 for mine. They weren't always hot. Infact they were a dime a dozen.

Think mid years are hot? A hemi super bird was sold last year at Barrett Jackson for close to $200,000 its a really rare Corvette that commands that kinda of money.

There was a time when you couldn't give away a Super Bird.
70's cars are coming into thier own right now. 80's cars will be next. What car from the 80's would you want?

Corvette................
Old 03-09-2005, 10:54 AM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by ToyC4
FYI GM is talking about a possible f-body car in 2007,

Here is the concept versions...
Old 03-09-2005, 10:59 AM
GlennS87
Burning Brakes

These look like Chris Horton's designs. Too bad he doesn't currently work for GM. I read in the most recent issue of PHR that GM has decided to "talk" to Chris. I would take any one of the above.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

The concepts look great but it bugs hell out of me that Ford thought of the "retro" idea first.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:10 AM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Default [quote] Darth vs. Pionexxxx! [/quote]

Thats a serious battle of the titans
Old 03-09-2005, 11:14 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If they EVER build that Camaro, I'll be first in line to pick one up, assuming they do it right this time.

GM needs to take care of the problem they have with Canada first before they can build it..Wish they'd hurry up. I'm not concerned with C4 value.....Actually, I am. The 93up are getting so low in price, i cant help wanting one, as they are my faves....Yet I dont want to let go of the 89 just yet. It isnt worth anything. I like it for what it is:easy to drive, torquy and cheap. That works for my po azz right now. I'll just have to wait a little longer. Who knows what they will ever be worth: Just go enjoy it.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:59 AM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

wow Chris that concept camaro is sharp I'd drive it!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:00 PM
86_RedRider
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '05

if i wanted to invest money, it wouldn't buy a car.

i bought my car to drive.

if in 20 years my 86 is worth more money, great, that's if i still have it. most likely i'll be telling someone that, "I used to own an '86", and they'd be saying, "i bet you still wish you had that car."
Old 03-09-2005, 02:12 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

lots of good points. I have seen that yellow camaro before. I like both styles.

But yes, I had some idiot on another board, I posted the link here for your ammusment, and there seems to be a gap in the understanding of where the VETTE actually fits. The Mustang and the Vette are NOT comparable cars. I know they are not directly competitive but I would put the Viper and GT 40 in a more competitive position with the Vette.

The Vette fits a unique space in the sports car family both foreign or domestic. It performs prettly close with Ferrari's by the numbers, but cost a fraction of the price.

But people who compare this car to a Grand National or a Mustang, irritate me. What some people do is take a C4 and compare it to the new Mustang for example. How about comparing the C6 to a 1988 Mustang. Just as rediculous. In a year to year comparison, as good or as bad as Corvettes have been over time, they are consistantly better than any other car of their given competitive model year. The mustang, Camaro, Firebird, Honda, are not vettes.

Rant off.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:17 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by redwing76
70's cars are coming into thier own right now. 80's cars will be next. What car from the 80's would you want?

Corvette................
Buick Grand National or GNX.... Corvette..... Mustang SVO... Turbo Trans Am ... there are more... but those come to mind quickly

Last edited by glerma; 03-09-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:44 PM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I'm not going to get into the well hashed out, beaten to death "c4 values" aspect of this thread but I just had to say that the yellow concept camaro looks WAY TO MUSTANG for my likeing. If GM wants to follow Fords idea of bringing back the old school look for the F body. They need to round off that area of fender on outside edge of headlights a little bit or something (cant quite put my finger on it) to make it resemble the old 67-69's more. That just looks more Mustang to me.

Last edited by skateparkdave; 03-10-2005 at 08:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Darth Vadar inspired me???

Old 03-09-2005, 03:55 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by glerma
Buick Grand National or GNX.... Corvette..... Mustang SVO... Turbo Trans Am ... there are more... but those come to mind quickly
The early SVO mustangs were four cylinder turbo charged pieces `O crap, that could not get out of their own way. Oh yeah; I forgot to mention that they were Fugly. I had several 5.0GTs around the time these things were out, & the GTs & LXs were cheaper, & just a better all around car.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:58 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by glerma
I think I'd rather get a C5 and represent J Lo's big butt look!! There's a nice 1st owner black 2000 coupe /w 150k miles. Automatic, runs strong!! It is for sale here locally. $17,000 obo or even trade for a completely restored 50s-70s muscle car. Hmmm... I don't own any muscle cars at the moment. Damn!
Old 03-09-2005, 03:58 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

I agree that it pains me to see that GM is trying to copy the "retro" look that has captivated people with the Mustang, but it's another classic example of the General being a day late and a dollar short. The Mustang stock was never as fast as a Camaro was, I believe that Ford got the formula right. No racer is going to leave their car stock, and you can get huge gains out of a Mustang with some simple mods... and then they are competitive with the Fbodies. But if you just want a cool car that is rather fast for street standards and fun to drive, the price tag of a Mustang is hard to beat.

This topic regarding the value came in when I realized that the C4 has dropped to the point that kids can buy these things and join this forum with their new toy and flood us with senseless threads. I did not buy my car for investment reasons, but at least the bottom didn't drop out of the value like a Honda. I merely mentioned the value because it intrigues me to know what my car is going to be worth in 5 years or so. I am very impressed with the fact that after 9 years or more, our C4's are still competitive on the track and still stylish on the street. I was also dissappointed that the Darth Vadar Mustang thread was locked as my attempts to insert some intelligence into the thread apparantly failed... that and I kinda liked my Pinky and the Brain skit that I started

Quick Reply: Darth Vadar inspired me???