Just bought my first vette and have some ?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 04:28 PM
jmedlin
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first vette and have some ?s

Hello guys
this is my first post here but i have done a little reading in the past week. I bought a polo green w/ 87k miles on it last fri. so i have had it about a week. I have a few "dumb" questions that i am sure you guys can help me w/.
1. What temp should a stock 95 lt-1 6 speed run at.
2. What does the one-to-four light mean
3. when i start the car in the morning it sounds as if there is a rubbing sound coming from the transmission as i go through the gears but after the has been driven for a couple miles the noise goes away. Is this normal?
4. I read somewhere that the polo green models only came w/ the glass top, is this true?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:35 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum, congrats on the "new" ride.
If you haven't done so already, read the stickies at the top of the page.
There is a ton of info there and links to other sources as well.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Welcome to the forum.

The 1-4 light is for the CAGS (computer Assisted Gear Selection) system. It want you to shift from 1st to 4th for fuel economy. It can be easily disabled.

I have a polo green coupe with a glass top and a painted top.

My 96 A4 never runs over about 207 in the hottest part of the summer.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:06 PM
jmedlin
5th Gear

Default low/flat tire

Also one thing i forgot is my low/flat tire light is on and i have checked the tire pressure and put all 4 tires at 33psi just for good measure and the light is still on. What is it going to cost me to get that fixed or unhooked?
Old 02-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jmedlin
Also one thing i forgot is my low/flat tire light is on and i have checked the tire pressure and put all 4 tires at 33psi just for good measure and the light is still on. What is it going to cost me to get that fixed or unhooked?
That could be pricey to fix. There are sensors in each wheel that transmit a signal to a module in the car. One of the sensors could be bad or the module. I disabled mine and sold all 4 sensors for 200 bucks when I changed wheels. You just have to remove the panel on the dash and yank the bulb.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:25 PM
midlifecrisis91
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

What, no model included....
Old 02-19-2005, 06:04 PM
A BirdMan Converted
Pro

This sounds a little familiar
a 95 LT1 M6 polo green (tan int?) 87K bought last week -
Q: Did you buy this from Buyavette.net AKA American Sports Car Center?
Reason: if you did, you should know a few things about the car they might not have disclosed- ie. from what your questions are
Old 02-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Originally Posted by A BirdMan Converted
This sounds a little familiar
a 95 LT1 M6 polo green (tan int?) 87K bought last week -
Reason: if you did, you should know a few things about the car they might not have disclosed- ie. from what your questions are
Sounds like you guys need to talk and soon.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Toolztud
Intermediate

There is a new tool just released to the aftermarket that recalibrates the sensors in the wheels. The Tool is called T.I.P.S it stands for Tire Inflation Pressure Sensor tester. The tool "teaches" the cars module where the sensors are and what the correct signal is. These are easily confused due to tire work and mishandling.

IF you Google TIPS or Spectrum Composites out of Michigan you can learn more about the tool.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:29 PM
A BirdMan Converted
Pro

Sounds like you guys need to talk and soon.
I didnt have MY mechanic Physically look at the car - but when i test drove it on a cold engine the tranny did feel rough - im not sure what it was exactly- it was a clean looking car though -
it just had been WRECKED TWICE 4 days apart about 2 yrs ago and both Were "Extensive" and "Moderate" damage reported respectively - plus i know that Buyavette would have sold at 13500-14000 (due to wreck).
and the sales rep said he sold at asking price of 14900

This may not be YOU, but who ever it was i hope they had the car checked out buy a trusted mechanic because even a $15K daily driver corvette is still an investment!
Old 02-19-2005, 11:28 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Welcome to the and nice choice in ridez... of course this thread is worthless without pics Anyway:
seeing temps as high as 220-230 is not uncommon. They are designed to run hotter for emmissions

[b/]It was an indicator for the CAGS option that can be "unplugged" that if you are not on the throttle very hard, the tranny would force you to skip 2 and 3 gears for better fuel economy[/b]

3. when i start the car in the morning it sounds as if there is a rubbing sound coming from the transmission as i go through the gears but after the has been driven for a couple miles the noise goes away. Is this normal?
My 94 Cougar was doing that last year... while I never found out what the sound was, I had the transmission flushed and serviced and all is well now

4. I read somewhere that the polo green models only came w/ the glass top, is this true?
all models were available with a glass top option.

Thanks in advance for the help. You're welcome

Last edited by kwik_ta; 02-19-2005 at 11:29 PM. Reason: ooops
Old 02-20-2005, 12:16 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Hello guys
this is my first post here but i have done a little reading in the past week. I bought a polo green w/ 87k miles on it last fri. so i have had it about a week. I have a few "dumb" questions that i am sure you guys can help me w/.
Thanks in advance for the help.
1) Already answered.
2) Already answered.
3) Interesting. Rubbing? might need new oil.
4) Already answered.

Take a moment and read the C4 Tech FAQ at the top of C4 Tech, and the C4 RPO FAQ at the top of this page.

Congrats on the new car!!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 06:45 AM
VTHokie07
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

[b/]It was an indicator for the CAGS option that can be "unplugged" that if you are not on the throttle very hard, the tranny would force you to skip 2 and 3 gears for better fuel economy[/b]

How do you unplug it?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:59 AM
jmedlin
5th Gear

Yes this is where i bought the car from. I knew about the damage but didn't know it was "extensive". I was told it was minor damage to the front of the car. I may have got bit b/c I dont really know a lot about the vettes. I had a mustang before this. I konw it was a ford but it was still fun to drive and beat up on the vettes. It was a supercharged 5.0. but anyway back to the prob at hand does anyone here know the car besides just test driving it? It is def. that car b/c the sticker was 14750 but i did get it for 13250. So what do you guys think did i get hurt?
Old 02-20-2005, 11:47 AM
A BirdMan Converted
Pro

i still think its a good car- im a SOOOOPER picky person and id of preferred it not to been wrecked - my firebird has been wrecked and it is still in the top 1% in terms of cleanness, so im not discouraging you.
they told about the accident but i had to push a bit to get that.
the only down side is they were going to sell for 14400 before the rep knew about the accident and at the most 14000 after he knew.
that 750 would have offset the sales tax - (got to luv and hate Taxes)
or paid for a nice exhaust and slp intake
You said you paid 13250 - good i was only gonna push for 13500-14000

the "extensive" damage is what CARFAX said it was- i dont know what that meant in real life

to be honest
I WOULD have bought that car if i didnt find out they were selling the black LT4 M6, that was around back. i drove it and felt the difference in power and knew right away thats more like what i wanted

your car at 13250 was a VERY good buy -
no i dont think you got hurt
Q: did you have a mechanic check it out
Reason: if you didnt, in the future for purchase have them check it or for future maintenace i almost always deal with Tony(owner) and Stan at Embry hills Chevron - if they cant do it they know GOOD people who can.

i dont know much about vettes either - thats why i had my PICKY AS A **** of an uncle look at some i considered.

I wonder if you dealt with Jody(sale rep)?

Congrats on your ?first? VETTE . hopefully you can congratulate me in a little while

Ill PM you some vette clubs here - ive been to only one and was very impressed the way they treated a non vette owner (B4 conversion)

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought my first vette and have some ?s

Quick Reply: Just bought my first vette and have some ?s