C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Doing research need advise on C4 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 11:49 AM
lead sled
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing research need advise on C4 purchase

First, this is a great forum. One of my criteria was to find a great source of information and this is a great source.

I found this C4 on ebay and need some help. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

What I like about this idea is that I want to do some extensive mods and I don't want to feel bad or waste to much money if my mods don't work out.

1 I live in KC so I can get it home!!!
2 I want to do a LS1 swap with a T56. So the way I'm looking at it I can sell the LT1 to help finance the swap.
3 I already have analog guages. I'm not a big fan of digital dashes and since I would have to change the wiring for the LS1 it might make the swap easier to install analog gauges.
4 Feel that I can address the other issuses listed, namely the interior, through ebay and the for sale section of this forum.
5 Or I could always just buy another doaner vehicle that has the remaining items that I need. You know the idea of using two cars to make one.
6 I plan on doing 90% of the work myself. I have done some car projects in the past and have some idea of what is involved.
7 I'm not look for this car as an investment. I just want a project that I can work on and enjoy driving.

My question is, assuming that the car is basically sound, would I be money ahead by finding a car that is more complete?

1 I don't want to waste all my money just trying to get the car road ready. Than have to come up with more money to do the mods.
2 My goal is to have a reliable car that is different enough to be interesting, ie the LS1 swap.

Your coments are welcome.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Well it sounds like you know what you're in for so if that's what you want, it's not a bad deal assuming it doesn't go much higher. I would think most bidders would be getting it to part out. If that LT1 is good, and you'll have to get it running of course to evaluate it, you should be able to get decent money for it.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:30 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Money ahead by finding a car that is more complete?
Yep. Everything about that car is wrong. Wrong engine, wiring, seats, etc. But the biggest problem is the owner.
The cars a hack and it sounds like hes a hack and you'll be getting what?

$hit flavored ice cream is still $hit.
Buying a Corvette is like fishing you have to wait for the right one to come along.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:08 PM
tonymax2
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'd pass--you can find a rough, running C4 for very little more money and you'd be able to check out the drive train for expensive problems and sell anything (electronic cluster, etc) you don't want.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:13 PM
96dblblack
Pro

That is a heck of a lot of work that needs to be done. I never want to rain on any ones parade but just want you to know what you are getting into. This will be many nights of long hard work. Lots of $ will be spent.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:24 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't want to waste all my money just trying to get the car road ready. Than have to come up with more money to do the mods.
Unfortunately, it will cost a lot just to get this Vette road worthy. Interior pieces are expensive and since this Vette has a salvage title, who knows what else is wrong with it or damaged.

Let's say it sells for $2000. Interior should cost around $1000
Old 02-12-2005, 01:39 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't want to waste all my money just trying to get the car road ready. Than have to come up with more money to do the mods.
Unfortunately, it will cost a lot just to get this Vette road worthy. Interior pieces are expensive and since this Vette has a salvage title, who knows what else is wrong with it or damaged.

Let's say it sells for $2000. Interior $2000+, Body and Paint materials $700+, Windshield $600+, Misc. $1000 (weather stripping, lights, switches, trim pieces etc...).

As you can see, even if you got this Vette for free, it still will take a substantial amount of time and money to make this a nice Vette.

Last edited by GKK; 02-12-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:02 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I guess the decision should be based on what kind of mods you intend, in addition to the engine, ECM, wiring, gauges and tranny.

You could pick up a "decent" mid year C4 for around $4-$6k but it might also need paint, interior and weather strip work.

Check out the offerings in "Corvette & Chevy Trader" to see what else might be available.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:23 PM
vinny85
Advanced

IMHO, for what it sounds like you want to do, I'd be looking for a C4 that needs very little cosmetic work (ie. decent interior and paint). Of course, I think that is what any C4 purchaser should look for. Basically, I'd pass on this deal - it is already overpriced.

Like others have said, if you get a complete C4, you can sell off parts you don't need. Just my $.02
Old 02-12-2005, 04:58 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lead sled
First, this is a great forum. One of my criteria was to find a great source of information and this is a great source.

I found this C4 on ebay and need some help. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

What I like about this idea is that I want to do some extensive mods and I don't want to feel bad or waste to much money if my mods don't work out.
I will try and answer these one at a time:

1 I live in KC so I can get it home!!!
Makes sense... why spend $$ on delivery!

2 I want to do a LS1 swap with a T56. So the way I'm looking at it I can sell the LT1 to help finance the swap.
Damn. That's a project. Do you have any idea the amount of fabrication and electronics work you will have to go through?

3 I already have analog guages. I'm not a big fan of digital dashes and since I would have to change the wiring for the LS1 it might make the swap easier to install analog gauges.
That will help... but not enough.

4 Feel that I can address the other issuses listed, namely the interior, through ebay and the for sale section of this forum.
This is going to eat you alive. You can spend a couple grand on interior bits.

5 Or I could always just buy another doaner vehicle that has the remaining items that I need. You know the idea of using two cars to make one.
That would make sense.

6 I plan on doing 90% of the work myself. I have done some car projects in the past and have some idea of what is involved.
heh heh heh... you ain't never worked on one of these things, have you.

7 I'm not look for this car as an investment. I just want a project that I can work on and enjoy driving.
That's the best part.

My question is, assuming that the car is basically sound, would I be money ahead by finding a car that is more complete?

1 I don't want to waste all my money just trying to get the car road ready. Than have to come up with more money to do the mods.
2 My goal is to have a reliable car that is different enough to be interesting, ie the LS1 swap.

Your coments are welcome.
Do you have any idea how much this hot rod will cost to build? Lemme throw you a number:

$20,000.00

Just so you know.

By the time you get the LS1 and T56, make, or have made, all the custom fitment parts. Sort out the electronics... and make the car serviceable, that's what your into.

Now, if you were to take that same coin, and find a nice, cared for 1992, with the LT1 already in it. With the ZF6 already in it, you can buy that car for about $12k, tops. And have 90% of what you want.

Then, rebuild the LT1 to a 383 or 396 and have a real monster.

Just some food for thought.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:08 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Sounds cooool and welcome to the
I'd listen to Bogus' advice as he has forgotten more about these cars then most of us will ever know.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:33 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

I'd pass.
This car needs too much.
'93 LT1 out of a '94 Camaro? So this is the third home for this engine? (we need a red-flag smiley)
Buy this and then a second car for parts?....better to buy ONE car that is more complete, in my estimation.
Unless you LIKE taking parts off and putting them back on another car....but things like wiring harnesses are such a pain.
I'd keep looking.
But I'm not you, either.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 02-12-2005, 07:48 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Just the fact that this car has a salvaged title would be enough to scare me away. The car could have been driven into a nearby river and you wouldn't know it - until you buy the car and find out what you bought. If you're still contemplating the purchase of this "car", at a minimum, I'd get a Carfax report.

Get notified of new replies

To Doing research need advise on C4 purchase

Quick Reply: Doing research need advise on C4 purchase