C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Advice on dealing with car salesman

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:37 AM
CRVETTE92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice on dealing with car salesman

I'm considering trading in my 92 lt1 towards a purchase of a c5. I'm no car buying expert and if there is one thing i've learned about buying cars is that no matter how much you think you know about haggling the car salesman do it everyday for a living vice a consumer who only deals with it every few years or so they have the leg up. I know an informed consumer is a powerful one so can you guys please give me some tips. Maybe i can get some a forum member who sells cars. A liitle about me, my credit is good, no major bills.

Blk 6sp 92 LT1
Old 01-30-2005, 11:45 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You might be better off selling it privately. If they do give you a good trade in value, they usually won't budge on price on the new car. Or, they might push you into a longer term loan. One way or another they will make their $$. Good Luck
Old 01-30-2005, 11:47 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

a 1992 Corvette without issues, might get you 7 grand at best on trade in - any more, and they are pooching you on the price of the car you are there to buy...

Sell it yourself and then offer what you think is fair on the C5 - otherwise a trade in is a deal of convenience
Old 01-30-2005, 12:15 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvettes are easy to buy, but hard to sell unless you give them away. A trade in is giving it away.

Place an add in the autotrader with a price that is inline with the others. A professional detail will help you sell the car.

A 92 6 spd in good condition is priced between $10,000 and $12,500 where I live. You can expect at least $9,500.

Turn around can be as long as 3 months.
When buying get the numbers on paper without a trade in value.
If you like the numbers then offer the trade. Check www.kbb.com for a retail value and a trade in value.

When you trade you make the dealer two deals, he makes money on both of the cars.

Sell it privately.
Good luck.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:22 PM
AR8007
Racer

Sell your car for a great price lower than any one's you see it will still be more than you will get on a trade in, than if you find a car at a dealership you will have a lot more bargaining power also you can search private party, right now is the best time to buy a vette, if you go for a trade in you only be able to haggle on one price, more for your trade in or less for the one you want to buy.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:24 PM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll just state what I think is the obvious to anyone who is a little older. First, unless you have a worthless piece of junk, sell your car yourself. You'll be thousands ahead right there. Second, do your research and determine what the car you want is really worth. If you need financing, arrange that ahead of time if you can before you step foot on a car lot. If you find a private party with the car you want, odds are you'll get a much better deal. Expect to pay top book or a little higher for a top notch car at a dealership. If they have what you want priced way high and won't come down to what you think you should pay, walk away. The most important part is the willing to walk away part. You've got the wallet so imo you really have the advantage. Salesmen like to make you feel the other way, that they've got something that you got to have at any price. They don't want the car, they want your money. jmo
Old 01-30-2005, 12:33 PM
blkblt97
Advanced

One rule of thought is to not mention that you want to trade in a vehicle. Press the salesman for his best price if you were to pay cash today. After you think that you have the best deal then mention that you may want to trade in a vehicle. Sell the car yourself if the price that they offer on the trade in is less than what you can sell it for minus the $ value of selling it yourself (i.e. the $ value that you put on the inconvience of selling it yourself plus actual costs incurred in selling the car.) Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck
Old 01-30-2005, 12:35 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Sell it yourself. See what a dealer will offer you in trade and then price it somewhere between that price and what others are asking. Detail the snot out of it and post pics at the local supermarket, hardware, NAPA etc. Make sure everything it works. Advertise on all the local and national sites with pictures. Patience is the key. Try Ebay too. If it sparkles, has no issues and is priced right it will sell eventually.
Don't deal with salespeople. Buy from a private party who is in the same boat but have the car inspected by someone who actually has experience with the car you are looking at. I have used a Forum member to do this and it worked fine. Here's an idea to try. Go to the Chevy dealer in your area that is known for Corvette sales. Find out who the "Vette" guy is and take him out for a steak dinner and drinks. I'll bet he has a few customers waiting on C6s who would love to sell their present ride to a private party instead of trading it in! Take your pretty GF or wifey with you. I never knew a guy who could keep his mouth shut in the company of a cutie, especially with a couple of doubles in him! Or buy a case of beer for the kid (over 21 of course) at the car lot that does all the dirty work. I'll be he knows what is going on there! Good luck
Old 01-30-2005, 12:38 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Good advice from the other posters to your question! http://www.edmunds.com/ is an excellent site for determining what the real dealer cost is, what the actual market selling price has been, what incenticves the dealer has, but won't tell you, and how to sift thru their BS, etc. Remember, be sure to count your fingers after each time you shake hands with any employee of a dealer store. Several of the CF sponsering dealers are exceptions to this when it comes to a new vehicle purchase including arranging courtesy delivery at a local dealer convemnient your loc.

Last edited by ZRWON; 01-30-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:49 PM
CRVETTE92
Instructor

Thanks alot guys.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:04 PM
VFR750
Advanced

Originally Posted by *89x2*
a 1992 Corvette without issues, might get you 7 grand at best on trade in - any more, and they are pooching you on the price of the car you are there to buy...

Sell it yourself and then offer what you think is fair on the C5 - otherwise a trade in is a deal of convenience

Taking your time selling and buying privately will get you the best advantage. A dealer will always control the experience, which is carefully calculated to make you think you are doing ok.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:23 PM
PSO3120
Pro

Default Another advantage to buying privately..

You get to meet the previous owner. If you go to his house to look at the car and he hasn't showered in a week, his yard has not been mowed in months and his house is falling apart, walk. You can tell alot about a car by visiting the house of the owner. Stay away from the stealership, and, for Gods sake, don't trade or finance through them! Good luck and take your time
Old 01-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A V O I D THEM!!!!!!! Car Salesmen are PERPS!!! and
Old 01-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

A V O I D THEM!!!! Car Salesmen are PERPS!!! and
Old 01-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?

Originally Posted by CRVETTE92
no matter how much you think you know about haggling, the car salesman do it everyday for a living vice a consumer who only deals with it every few years or so they have the leg up.
Yet everybody's an expert.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:13 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Another comment - There are many C5 drivers moving up to C6's right now. If you are not in a local club, get to know some guys in one near your home. You can get a car with known history and probably a better deal from a fellow corvette club buddy than from others out there.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:50 PM
iceman_t1
Pro

Here is some interesting info I found. It's a bit long but worth the reading.
http://www.ifg-inc.com/Consumer_Reports/CarDeal.html

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on dealing with car salesman

Old 01-30-2005, 07:22 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Just tell the salesman that your other hobby is these, & like the American Express card, you never leave home without one. That should keep him/her from trying to bend you over the barrel.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-30-2005, 10:01 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

Sell your car first the delership isn't going to give you what it's worth obviously they are going to have to sell it for retail. If you find a vette you want at a dealership when the salesman comes back from the sales desk with the price and or payment written up what they are doing is writing the deal high and are going to judge your reaction. When the salesman comes back with the payment and or purchase price and hands it to you tell him to call you if he wants to sell the car for something reasonable. I sold cars 10 years ago and every used car on the lot had a minimum of 2500.00 of room to move the price. I hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:08 PM
NightFlight
Burning Brakes

Great advice from all the other's about selling it yourself. We went to a dealer check out a C6. Told the guy we were just looking for now and still debating on whether or not we want to sell our B2K and buy one or just wait and 'add it to the family'. He told me they could probably give me a great deal on my car and did the old 'let me talk to my manager'. So for a good laugh we let him. Came back and told me his manager was familiar with the B2Ks and would give me $11K -- $11K for a Callaway, even my wife laughed.

Quick Reply: Advice on dealing with car salesman