Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Is there a graceful way to climb in and out of a C4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 04:11 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

At 5'11" and 170lbs I don't have any issue with entry/exit except being careful to not scuff the sill carpet. The way the late 80s C4s fit like a glove was one selling feature I love about these cars.

For a tall man with a big frame I suggest you have the steering wheel in the up most position and use the windshield header & rear door pilar to assist you on entry and exit. Occasionally I pull a low back muscle and use this method since bending sideways is way painful.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Hogan
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-'10-'11

Try going thru the window like Bo and Luke Duke!! The slide across the hood can be fun!!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:45 AM
C4SMAJ
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im 6'4 and 280.....have no problems either way....getting out is pretty easy....I just pivot and place both feet on the ground...then I lean forward a bit an place my right elbow on the outside of the windshield frame and left elbow on the roof pillar and just lift myself out...really pretty smooth after you do it a couple times....getting in I just insert my right leg and sit on the sill and slide over onto the seat draggin the left leg along.....
Old 02-02-2005, 08:57 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carefully but DO NOT use the window frame-my 87 had a crack in the windshield (vertical) and the glass man said it was because someone was using the window frame to get out.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:02 AM
XQIZT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pionexxxx
Yeah get you some nice marks on your carpet from your shoes there buddy. This is why it always too me a long time to find nice vettes, people abuse the hell out of them.
was that necessary? my vette has won awards for the interior. no marks, no tears, no matted carpets. and i don't wear golf cleats and $h!t kickers in my car. ya place your right foot on the tranny tunnel right where it meets the floorboards and push.

my baby is not abused
Old 02-02-2005, 03:48 PM
adi4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dcandel
Try putting double sided tape on the underside of the sill covers instead of screwing them down. 3 or 4 long pieces on each one works fine. Mine have been on that way for 4 years and havent moved.
Great tip
only one problem i have clear ones on mine and you would see the double sided tape ........ I dont have a problem its usually gets kicked off by someone who hasent got into a vette before
Old 02-02-2005, 07:52 PM
88421VETTE
Pro

Originally Posted by touringmike
I've literally rolled out of mine on more than one ocassion. Twist 180 degrees out the door, 2 hands onto the drive, drag the torso out, get onto all fours, then proceed to stand up. (also fake the "looking for a contact" posture while doing this C4-corvette-crawl).
I'm getting up there in years, and there just is no gracefull way to exit these things, ecspecially if you park in a tight space next to another vehicle as I do in my 2-car garage. (althought as corvetteronw said, having the targa top off helps make a normal appearing exit possible). I'm not that large of a person either, 5'8", 175, so old age and joint pains are taking there toll.

I agree about the C3s', I never had to roll out the door onto all 4s to exit.
I've done the same thing AND I'm 23 glad I'm not the only one. I'm not overweight I'm just lazy
Old 02-02-2005, 09:34 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I have the driver side down pretty well...it's the passenger side that is not fun!!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:37 PM
pionexxxx
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adi4
Great tip
only one problem i have clear ones on mine and you would see the double sided tape ........ I dont have a problem its usually gets kicked off by someone who hasent got into a vette before
You would really put tape on your carpet?
Old 02-03-2005, 02:29 PM
adi4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pionexxxx
You would really put tape on your carpet?
not me personaly I will put up with picking them up off the floor when someone kickes them off
Old 02-03-2005, 06:39 PM
plmkrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Church
I'm a new owner of a C4. I have a problem climbing in and out over that darn high sill or what ever it's called. My C3 has a low sill plate and so does the C5 but that C4.....I think I look like I'm struggling when I climb out of the car. Of course, I'm not the smallest guy in the world, 6'4", 300 pounds and not as flexible as I used to be. Guess I have more incentive to stick to those New Year's resolutions!

Rick in Tennessee

Same size! "94 convert and 2003 Anniv coupe. Put your behind in first and then swing the big legs in. Not too bad once you get used to it. I learned on my C3 with no tilt wheel. That was a project.

Quick Reply: Is there a graceful way to climb in and out of a C4?