C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mr. Gasket Crank Case Evacuation

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mr. Gasket Crank Case Evacuation

Has any one or have been using Mr. Gasket Crankcase Evacuation kit??? it is cheap like $34 it come with 2 chrome plated push on valve cover breathers, breather grommets, 2 check valves and 3 1/2 long threaded tubes to be welded into the collectors. TJ and Aaron? anyone?

Bruce
Old 01-17-2004, 10:04 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Mr. Gasket Crank Case Evacuation (Bruce)

I actually wondered about them myself. I believe that black bart had a different setup that was supposed to work with high boost levels. If you search, you could find that link if interested.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Brand-X
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I use them...they're cheap, effective, and easy to install.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Mr. Gasket Crank Case Evacuation (Brand-X)

it look pretty simple install and it cheap. If it does the task. why not use it. I am going order it.

Chris
I have sent you a couple email last month. Asked about your tensioner stuffs. How it is work out for you?

Bruce
Old 01-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Brand-X
Pro

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I've not installed the tensioner yet...still using the manual tensioner. TJWong was look to do a group of cog pullies...I hoping to be a part of it. I was waiting to convert to cog before I made the spring tensioner leap...do it all at once.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:07 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

I used the Moroso crankcase evac kit, and had a tremendous amount of psi in the crankcase under full boost. I placed a vacuum/psi guage on the crankcase and determined at a bit over 3000 RPM, that the unit went from vacuum to psi. The thing pulls nice vacuum at idle (with a nice popity pop type sound to boot), but would not pull under boost. I contacted the manufacturer and their comment was that it clearly states (which it does) in the instructions that the system is designed for off-highway use (or in other words "open exhaust"). They also filled in that at a certain RPM, a full exhaust system fills, and no form of pitot tube (which is what the 45° tube is in the exhaust stream) will pull vacuum. So in the end, I capped the pitot and went the path of an electric vacuum pump. I am investigating the use of the 4 vane vacuum pump as a replacement of one of the idlers on either the blower cog belt or the serpentine main drive. This will be cool, if I can package it correctly. Time will tell.

As a side note on the use of a spring tensioner on the cog drive, my supplier of the drive belt advised against the use of the spring idler, and instead recommended a fixed idler arrangement. He said that the cogs only require enough tension to keep the belt in place. He stated that the spring loaded tensioners (typically higher psi) are actually detrimental to the cog belts. Who knows? I went with the fixed idlers/tensioners.

Aaron
Old 01-20-2004, 10:12 PM
lead foot 85 vet
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mr. Gasket Crank Case Evacuation (AKS Racing)

Thanks Aaron that system has been suspect before when black bart was talking about running it on his car...........he was going to test it as you have and get back to us..........cheers :cheers: you've save me some money.

by the way were is black bart? haven't seen a post from him in last month or so?
Old 01-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Brand-X
Pro

Default Re: Mr. Gasket Crank Case Evacuation (AKS Racing)

Thanks for the heads up on the evac unit...I'll try the pressure/vacuum gauge to see how much pressure is building up in my engine. I've been lucky, I haven't blown an oil seal so far...I would hate to have to replace another rear main seal!!

As for the spring tensioner, I think the setup Bruce and TJWong are talking about uses a cam timing chain belt. Unlike the kevlar cog belts of big roots type blowers, I'm pretty sure timing belts were designed to be used with spring tensioners in their stock applications.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:29 PM
krivera
Drifting

Default Re: Mr. Gasket Crank Case Evacuation (lead foot 85 vet)

Thanks Aaron that system has been suspect before when black bart was talking about running it on his car...........he was going to test it as you have and get back to us..........cheers :cheers: you've save me some money.

by the way were is black bart? haven't seen a post from him in last month or so?
yes a vaccuum pump is the way to go...and black bart is no longer a part of this forum...i cant tell you why because i would hate to try to speak for him but thats all i know....But i believe it is because some people on this forum are so stuborn and think they are right even when they are wrong but thats what i think? I feel the same sometimes....this forum has changed a bit.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Brand-X
Pro

Default Re: Mr. Gasket Crank Case Evacuation (krivera)

That's too bad about Black Bart not posting here anymore. I didn't always agree with what he had to say but I always respected his opinions. I hope he changes his mind and returns to the forum.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:03 PM
lead foot 85 vet
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:iagree: He pissed me off a time or two ...it wasn't what he said but how he said it, but he was usually right.....I don't recall seeing a post bad mouthing him.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:53 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Default Re: Mr. Gasket Crank Case Evacuation (krivera)

I have spoken with Dick (Black Bart) on several occasions over the phone. He is a very nice, knowledgeable man. At times I may not agree with what he has to say, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I know there was some time back when a specific individual used to really "rag" on him, and he sat back and read for a while with no posts, he may be doing the same now. Sometimes it takes some time for people to return after being antagonized.

As for this forum changing, I will agree, but change is always certain.

I'm sure Black Bart will be back.

Aaron

Get notified of new replies

To Mr. Gasket Crank Case Evacuation

Quick Reply: Mr. Gasket Crank Case Evacuation