C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

coil over or traverse spring

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 02:06 AM
lawcorvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default coil over or traverse spring

Pretty new to forum-- I have a corvette project and I am in the process of replacing the differential- considered working on the suspension as well. The 86 C4 is a performance street car. I started considering coilovers because I am looking to replace both the traverse springs and shocks. With the price of new traverse springs and blistens - I was thinking that maybe coilovers may be a better alternative at not too much more $$$.

My question is with respect to the installation of coil overs, is it a direct bolt in or does it require permanent modifications such as drilling?

Also I have seen kits advertised by DRM, exotic muscle and I think breathless performance- are these the same kits- exotic muscle looks to be $500 dollars cheaper than DRM (~1000 v. ~1500 - my prices may be wrong this is off the top of my head). Which kit do you guys recommend??

Finally, if you don't think the coil overs are the way to go what traverse springs should I use - I was considering vette brakes and products but after reading the product reviews on this forum had second thoughts.

Thanks
Harry

Old 07-26-2003, 11:22 AM
lawcorvette
Racer

Default Re: coil over or traverse spring (lawcorvette)

Simpler question: has anyone used the exotic muscle coil overs ($1,195)- what do you think, they are cheaper than DRM are they the same, or how different are they.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:35 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I believe zelement has the DRMs on his car, you may try a search in Tech for his name and find something, he rarely checks in here.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:52 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: coil over or traverse spring (vader86)

I'm in the process of installing the DRM kit on my '90. Yes, some minor mods are required but I think they are all reversable. On rear, upper shock mounts are moved forward about 3/8 inch. You drill holes & drop the stock bolts in from the top, buy nylock nuts & tighten from the bottom. You also must grind the large hole the top of the shock fits into forward that much. I went back & welded a crescent into the back of the hole just because I'm **** about strength & don't intend to go back. Also the top fourlink bolt on the knuckle is installed from the inside instead of out & the head is ground to about 1/2 its origional thickness. Still plenty strong IMHO & I painted the whole bolt w/ black rustoleum to protect it. Front is about the same, sway bar mounts are moved forward I think 3/4 in this time, haven't got that far yet. Then the lower mount to the A-arm is "flattened to move it a bit forward. I'm thinking about going to either the DRM or Guldstrand heim joint end links instead to clear the front coil spring. And they look cool to boot! :yesnod: Oh, and on earlier years the front upper shock mount may need some bracing, mine supposedly doesn't but it must be "bent" wider to also clear the coil spring.

Anyway, I'll post some updates & pics if I ever get time to finish the project. What started out as a minor head gasket coolant leak has turned into a major... "well while I've got it apart how about.... " Its been apart for like 6 months already!!! :banghead:
Old 07-26-2003, 09:30 PM
lawcorvette
Racer

Default Re: coil over or traverse spring (Trog)

THanks guys,

but nobody used the exotic muscle kit??

Harry
Old 07-26-2003, 09:52 PM
ROME
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm personally curious how the Bilstein coilovers size up to the DRM & Exotic Muscle kits. I think the Bilsteins were featured in Corvette Fever a couple of months ago. They are a direct replcement for the stock shocks, and once installed the leaf spring becomes redundant and can be removed.

I'd be interested to know if Bilsteins more of a cheap-jack modification, or if they are just as viable as the DRM & EM kits.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:34 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: coil over or traverse spring (ROME)

Uh... DRM is custom valved bilstein... At least mine are... :D
Old 07-27-2003, 09:29 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

post in road race section too. I have used VB springs in my car and have had no problem they even let you try it and swap if you don't like the spring rate. I would recommend DRM setup for Coilovers
Old 07-28-2003, 02:00 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Simpler question: has anyone used the exotic muscle coil overs ($1,195)- what do you think, they are cheaper than DRM are they the same, or how different are they.
ZELEMENT has the exotic muscle kit on his car.

old post here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=103703
Old 07-28-2003, 10:47 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: coil over or traverse spring (bill mcdonald)

ZELEMENT has the exotic muscle kit on his car.

old post here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=103703
my bad
Old 07-28-2003, 09:07 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: coil over or traverse spring (bill mcdonald)

No, he has the DRM Xtra grip kit. I'm waiting for his car to get out of the shop for motor work so I can check it out. ;)

Get notified of new replies

To coil over or traverse spring

Quick Reply: coil over or traverse spring