C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Professional Grade Help Needed!!!

Old 06-18-2003, 01:43 PM
akhdnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Professional Grade Help Needed!!!

I have added a blower to my 92 vette. I have got it running but need help to fine tune it. The blower is suppose to be 6 lbs of boost, but I thank it ended up being closer to 10 lbs. Also I was told that reprogramming for a bar 2 map sensor was to much troulbe so I moved the old map sensor to in front of the blower. But now I beleave the vacuum is higher. It's not running that bad but it does have a few bugs and it is running rich.

Well any help someone can give would be very helpful!!!

Here is a couple of scans using Datamaster and the bin that I am running now! http://www.users.conninc.com/knight/Scans&Bin.zip

Hopefully your help will smooth out my ride and help me to learn how to smooth it out myself next time!!!!!! :crazy:
Old 06-18-2003, 02:53 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Professional Grade Help Needed!!! (akhdnh)

:lurk:
Old 06-18-2003, 03:35 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

i know that moving your map sensor there is a big no no. move it back before you destroy something, like pistons. i can't seem to open your scans, but i dont really need to. if the map is seeing vacuum your not getting enough fuel. it gives you the most fuel when the map sees no vacuum.
im not a programming whiz but i had to post about the map issue before you broke something. im sure someone with the proper experience to help you get it straightened out will chime in .
you may want to i.m. ski_dwn_it. he can burn a chip for you that will make her run like she should.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:08 PM
akhdnh
Advanced

Default Re: Professional Grade Help Needed!!! (neverendingproject)

The map was originally on the intake plantum so it always saw vacuum! It just sees more of it now! I can move it to the manifold becauce it doesn't know what to do with the boost! And as I said it seems to be running rich right now, It doesn't seem to be driving that bad. It has a small died spot when you first push the throttle, but smooths out after that and doesn't seem to have any problem down the highway!
Old 06-18-2003, 07:04 PM
1_piece_at_a_time
Instructor

The MAP sensor HAS to have it's signal come from manifold vacuum, it's the only way that the ECM can tell how much load the engine is under. Where it is now it will do you absolutely no good. It is reading probably just a bit under atmospheric pressure so the ECM is pouring the fuel to it. Move it back to where it came from and use your FMU (I hope you have one) to fine tune your fuel under boost. The ECM can do just fine while you're not under boost. There's a few guys here that can burn you a chip that will help the car run better, give one of them a call. Kittmaster burned one for me and it made a huge difference. Good luck!

:flag
:seeya
Save the Wave!
Old 06-18-2003, 07:37 PM
black bart
Drifting

From reading your post it sounds like you are trying to use the oem 1 bar map sensor and that will never work REGARDLESS of where you hook it up at. Whoever told you that BS about the map sensor didn't know what he was talking about. Install the 2 bar and hook it to the manifold mount it so as to have the hose as short as posible. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE THIS
Old 06-18-2003, 08:27 PM
akhdnh
Advanced

Default Re: Professional Grade Help Needed!!! (black bart)

NO PROB! One quick question. If the the MAP sensor reads vacuum in different voltages to the ECM, won't the different vacuum and boost be completely different on the BAR 2 MAP. And won't you have to completely change the tables?
Old 06-18-2003, 09:09 PM
black bart
Drifting

The 1 bar will read vacuum only since you are running pressure you have to have a 2 bar it reads up to 15lbs. boost I can't say if your ecm will add enough fuel because from your post it sounds like you are guessing at the boost. Do you have a boost gauge if so what does it show. If you are running 10 lbs. you will probably need to reprogram it. There is one thing for sure it will not run for S@#T WITH A 1 BAR
Old 06-18-2003, 10:53 PM
akhdnh
Advanced

I don't know if everyone is tell me what they have heard or what they know!!!!!!! I have a 2 bar MAP sensor but I did not install it yet because I was told that the tables would have to be completely re done to add for the boost. And the yes the total boost is a guess! BECAUSE I don't want to try to open it up until I know that it is safe to do so (and yes I do have a vacuum/boost guage). So far everyone is saying that with a 1 bar sensor and were I have it NOT TO RUN the car! Well I have and so far it doesn't run that bad! I should run better but until I get the bugs out it isn't that bad! So now I'm woundering if everyone thinks that I should not run it now, then how or should I take their advice and is it safe? I'm not sure as to what and were to make the changes for the 2 Bar sensor but I do know that it will get completely different reading then what it did without the blower and with a new sensor range.

So what do I know so far!
Everyone is telling me not to run a car that is running.
That I should not have moved the MAP sensor.
And that I should change the 1 bar to a 2 bar sensor.

But no one is telling if I change the sensor, What tables do I need to change?
Old 06-19-2003, 03:44 AM
black bart
Drifting

As far as the running good with the 1 bar it is running WAAAAYYY RICH.
That ia better than lean but not what you want. You haven't said anything about what your running so it is hard to say for sure what you need to do. What kit do you have do you have a fmu ??? Do you have a afpr if yes what is it set at. If you have stock pistons you should not run more than 6lb boost non intercooled or 8lb intercooled this will determine what you do with the fuel. I'm no mind reader I have no idea what you have and you didn't say.
If you have a procharger what size pulley get the boost down install a FMU and the ecm will be ok. If you want to run 10lb or more then you have to change a lot of things but at this point No one can give you any good advice .
Do you have stock pistons
What blower make and model
What size pulley
Do you have a intercooler
Do you have a AFPR
Do you have a FMU
What is your C/R if it is Lt4 C/R will be to high
Old 06-19-2003, 11:17 AM
akhdnh
Advanced

This is why I have a problem with this forum!!!!!!!
Everyone asks question about kits and tells me what they would have donew but none answer the question I ask!
I have been building cars for many many years and if some one had asked my to help them tune it. I didn't need to know the compresion rasio, the size piston, etc. I could look at a plug, look at the vacuum, etc. But this is my first time with this style ecm. So my question is if you have a scan or the scan I posted and know what to look for then what does the blower make and model matter? Before you blow any steam, it doesn't! If the car had a carb and dist., I could tune it with out any info! So I know you guy can help me with this, with out all the BS info! I know I can in time! I was just wanting some help on what and where to adjust!
Old 06-19-2003, 11:29 AM
neverendingproject
Pro

hmm, from what i've read it looks like you've gotten some good advice. perhaps if you took some of the advice instead of arguing with the ones that are giving it to you, you would find yourself better off.
i personally dont see how anyone could have a problem with a forum full of people that take their time to try to help others out for free. but thats just me.
just remember. the man who knows everything, cant learn anything.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:33 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Then figure it out yourself Mr. Knowitall! :mad

BTW: someone already said they couldn't open your scan for whatever reason, why don't you start there. Maybe IM someone, maybe just wait until the right person comes along with experience with the exact same issue, you're not going to get your answer over just a couple days.

Also, you'll find that once you locate the right people to help you, you'll get the answer you're looking for if you're nice. :blueangel:

The people who HAVE posted thus far are just trying to help, even if they don't know the exact answer. The only other option I see is that you wouldn't get any replies at all. At least you're getting SOME response. It's pretty sad when an Irate Irishman like myself has to tell someone else to be patient!
Old 06-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Ronnie_W
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

You are probably not going to adjust anything unless you have a chip burner and eraser. You probably won't get much help with that attitude either! :confused:
Old 06-19-2003, 11:53 AM
krivera
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Professional Grade Help Needed!!! (Ronnie_W)

What you need to do is drop the 1 bar and go back to the 2 bar in its stock location and try it out and see what your ECM reads...it is all about trial and error...you will never get it right the first time! :nono:
Old 06-19-2003, 04:21 PM
akhdnh
Advanced

Default Re: Professional Grade Help Needed!!! (krivera)

I don't mean to seem ungreatful for any help but so far I 'm not getting any. And if some one isn't sure what they suggest will help then they should at least say so. but lets see the advice I got so far!

Not to move the map sensor because it doesn't know what to do with vacuum, (but in stock position it only reads vacuum)

Not to run the car because it would be dangerous. (even though I stated that I have been driving the car)

To put on a 2 bar sensor (TRUE - But I would need to redo the tables and that is were I need the help)

To put the 2 bar sensor in the stock location ( I have added a blower! So there is no longer a stock location)

Sorry if I don't see the advice! But All I see is people stating what they have been told or heard before even though it doesn't seem to imply here. I do have a burner and a eraser, I have already removed the original chip and in serted a zip socket, and have burn a few chips to test everything. I have made a few changes but until I learn more of what will affect what I didn't want to change to much!

As for the bin and scans! Would someone try to download it and tell me if it is messed up or if their not even getting it? They were scanned with datamaster. Also it would be nice to IM with someone on this but at this time I only use yahoo IM, I've had problem with the other so I'm leary about putting them back on my computer (but that's another topic altogether)

Again I don't mean to seem ungreatful, but I'm not asking anyone to build my car, so I don't need any advice on what compression, what blower, what drive, or even what plugs. I'm just asking anyone that knows about the tables in reprogramming the ECM help me to understand it more! :iagree:
Old 06-19-2003, 04:37 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

[QUOTE]Not to move the map sensor because it doesn't know what to do with vacuum, (but in stock position it only reads vacuum)[QUOTE]
wrong , it reads vacuum under light throttle , but when you floor it, there is no vacuum. this is how it knows your under full load and gives you max fuel..
the way you have it now, its seeing less vacuum under light load and giving you too much fuel. but if you floor it, it will see more vacuum than your engine actually has & give you less fuel than you need. this will lead to catastropic engine failure.
To put on a 2 bar sensor (TRUE - But I would need to redo the tables and that is were I need the help)

To put the 2 bar sensor in the stock location ( I have added a blower! So there is no longer a stock location)
umm, where did that vacuum port go?? i didnt realize superchargers had some magic power that erased all signs of vacuum ports?
to do this right , install a 2 bar map in the STOCK location and yes, re do all of the tables that configure fuel based on load.. this is a long drawn tuning process. or , if your nice, maybe someone here has a similar set up , with a close bin file that you can use as a starting point...

Get notified of new replies

To Professional Grade Help Needed!!!

Old 06-19-2003, 05:56 PM
akhdnh
Advanced

Default Re: Professional Grade Help Needed!!! (neverendingproject)

So who's being the smart A@# now? But I guess I eared that (A LITTLE HaHa)
But for the up date. I put a vacuum guage were I had the map sensor and on the manifold. there is 3 less lbs of vacuum on the manifold then were I had it, but it is now on the manifold. As for change in vacuum in responce to throttle, that seems to be about the same, as I drive it up the road and back.

As for the 2 bar sensor! When I tried it, it would barely stay running. I had to keep playing with the throttle to even keep it running, and it wouldn't make it to the end of the drive way! So I put the 1 bar sensor back on for now. I know that I have to do a lot of trial and error on the tables until I get it right for the 2 bar sensor, but I need help to get it close enough to even run first!
It's not running that bad as is right now but it still has a lot of room for improvement and it is running rich right now!
Old 06-19-2003, 06:47 PM
black bart
Drifting

The reason for asking what blower is to try to figure out how much fuel will be required only then can one know what is needed. If you had a fmu and say a 6lb pulley on a P1sc procharger you should not have to do anything to the fuel tables. Only thing that I learned from your rant is that you have been fooling with the fuel tables. There was a very good reason for me asking what I did but since you don't understand enough about forced induction to know why I ask you go into a tyrant. Did you ever hear the saying it is better to have someone thing that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. If your so dam smart tune it yourself. I have mine tuned whats your problem :crazy:
Old 06-19-2003, 07:03 PM
krivera
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me read this again we are all missing something here?

So you added a super charger on a 1992 Vette with an LT-1 that is not Speed Density (easy enough the Mass Airflow Sensor will to alot of the tuning)

You say it should be making 6lbs but after driving it ...IT makes 10 lbs (dont see a problem there up the fuel to get it to run 12:1 or so air/fuel)

You moved the MAP Sensor infront of the lower (don’t know why you would do that but what ever...I just would why you would do that and did the motor come stock with a 2 bar or 1 bar?? (That is a question not being rude)

So your real question is referring to the Data master bin you want to get the air/fuel at the right mixture??? (Another question)

Or did you do some tuning and would like to tune some more and see if it cures the rich exhaust state you are having??? (Another question)

We are here to help but there is a miscomunication somewhere?

I have added a blower to my 92 vette. I have got it running but need help to fine tune it. The blower is suppose to be 6 lbs of boost, but I thank it ended up being closer to 10 lbs. Also I was told that reprogramming for a bar 2 map sensor was to much troulbe so I moved the old map sensor to in front of the blower. But now I beleave the vacuum is higher. It's not running that bad but it does have a few bugs and it is running rich.

Well any help someone can give would be very helpful!!!

Here is a couple of scans using Datamaster and the bin that I am running now! http://www.users.conninc.com/knight/Scans&Bin.zip

Hopefully your help will smooth out my ride and help me to learn how to smooth it out myself next time!!!!!! :crazy:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Professional Grade Help Needed!!!