C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 04:58 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frustrated

been searching and searching for someone that fabs twin turbo headers/manifolds for our cars. :banghead: whats sickening is that the blue oval boys have a ton of choices , we have none. i've even written turbo specialties twice w/ no response. they did the vette at http://www.twinturbovette.net.
do me a favor and keep your eyes peeled for me. im determined to do this!!!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:06 PM
krivera
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: frustrated (neverendingproject)

Good luck :D
Old 02-06-2003, 06:07 PM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

It looks like they used block-hugger headers with a U-turn.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default Re: frustrated (JoBy)

Rad Rides by troy has been cranking out some twin turbo cars and I believe helped Meaney do his.

I also think Turbo People in NY or Fast Times might be candidates. they do some pro street TT racers that make huge power.

this technology is getting more affordable, and hopefully we will start seeing some TT C4 cars to give those C5s a run for the money.

anyone contacted these folks to ask??? I don't bother until my wallet is seriously fat and I'm ready to bleed cash. cya!!! :D :eek: :cool:
Old 02-06-2003, 10:11 PM
ex-gold87
Instructor

Default Re: frustrated (Rkreigh)

Neverendingproject you have mail....
Old 02-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: frustrated (ex-gold87)

Hey so did you use block hugger headers and then use a U bend? how much powe can a setup like this be good for?
Old 02-09-2003, 02:31 AM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: frustrated (ex-gold87)

Ex-Gold87.... your my hero!.... You motor is done PERFECT in my eyes... I look through ur website all the time.... I want to do it, seems a little intimidating to start a big project liek that
Old 02-09-2003, 03:39 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: frustrated (JoBy)

It looks like they used block-hugger headers with a U-turn.

When seeing that pic and HOw it looks like it uses the Block Hugger headers, I think that putting on Turbos on a C4 would get a heck of a lot easier now, I mean that it what everyone is complaining about, the headers and how you need them custom made, but now it looks like anyone who can weld a little and that can buy hugger headers and some bent tubing could just weld the pieces and your done with the Header side. Thanks for posting the pic, it really brang me some new much needed inspiration :thumbs: :yesnod:
Old 02-09-2003, 07:30 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

Default Re: frustrated (Light84vette)

im gonna let you guys know everything if found out since posting this thread.
first off ex-gold is one of the most helpful guys you could meet. the headers are modified block huggers. i havent thought to ask exactly how much boost or horsepower he's making, but i do know his car runs 1.54 60' times and 11.02 quartermile times with a badly slipping tranny. he said he's gone thru 4 700r4's since he buiilt the car.
of course he's making it faster as we speak with better headers, electronics & a 4l80e. i guess theyre's no such thing as too fast.
i am gonna build mine nearly identical to his current set up. im hoping for high 10's. oh and did i mention he gets 20+ mpg on the highway.
im guessing , but , not including the electronics i believe this can be done for half the price of a supercharger. i havent been this eager to do something since prom night, lol. any body out there that'll give me a little loan???? :steering:
Old 02-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

YOur headed down the same road as me, I will also build a Twin Turbo setup and ex-gold has really helped me out by sending me e-mails and confirming that they are Modified Block Hugger headers. I will hopefully build mine in the same fashion and have block huggers and modify them with a U bend. Plus I also think that doing it this way a TT wouldnt be too expensive.

I mean Turbos and wastegates go for 1900 totall, ( 650 per turbo and 300 per wastegate) and then maybe 500 on an intercooler and 250 on headers and the U bends and maybe 250 more on aluminum pipes for the discharge side and from the intercooler to the MPI system. And maybe some more on Fuel injectors and fuel pump, So I think a TT setup could be made for about $3500-3750 for a cheap one to only run with say 8 psi boost just for starting out.

But later on you could rebuild your motor, change your tranny to A stronger one, add some more parts like a strongert driveshaft and maybe some stronger pieces in the Rear IRS and you could make a ton of power. Were you thinking of something like this? about 4K for a totall TT setup, maybe some more if you get it done by someone else. :yesnod: :thumbs:
Old 02-09-2003, 08:53 PM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

of course he's making it faster as we speak with better headers, :steering:
I got first dibbs on his other headers if he sells them! haha.. Hey guys, Im with you on this TT setup gig..... I have been searching this for awhile.... I think it can be done without a problem.....

Could I/we use a FMU from the Vortech or ATI Supercharger systems... They are vacuum operated and I dont see any reason why that wouldnt work.. So that would take care of the fuel enrichment part That some bigger injectors and higher volume fuel pump...
Old 02-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: frustrated (StealDads67)

So how many guys are going to do this? 3-4? Want to doa group purchase? Somehow lower the price? Maybe they could lower the price :confused:
Old 02-09-2003, 10:11 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

i think a group purchase would be pretty tough to work out. from what i've gathered , they do it all custom. i have pretty much decided to modify my stock headers, for 2 reasons. they seem to be made heavier than most aftermarket( with the exception of stainless). second is they're made with easy access to the spark plugs. im just gonna cut the 3 stud collector off & get busy welding. afterwards im gonna coat them and maybe wrap them for extra insulation. as far as the intercooler goes, i have access to plenty of them. i'll have to modify it a bit since they were originally designed for diesels, but im sure i can find one that will work pretty well.
as far as fmu's, i have definately decided im going with aftermarket engine management. not sure which one yet. they all seem pretty equal , i guess price will be the deciding factor.. i've thought about the other patches , but i cant bring myself to do it. i mean , the aftermarket ecu's are to where they can control a/f ratios at wot in closed loop now. that pretty much guarantees no lean out. well worth $2500 in my book.
i gotta say again to jerry & his buddies in alabama, thanks. i've been thinkin about this for ages, but just couldnt get a handle on it until i saw what they did to his vette. couldnt tell you how many nights i lost sleep tryin to figure out a way to do a single turbo like a gnx. now that i've seen it, its like duhhh, what were you thinking. and without this forum, id probably have given up & just went for a high stalled, hugh cammed , nitrous motor. not that theres anything wrong with that , i just like the idea of 800 horses & 20+ mpg better.

[Modified by neverendingproject, 3:17 AM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Hey at my dads shop we work on Big Rigs and I see INtercoolers once in a while out, right now we have one sitting in the yard, BUt it is HUGE as Hell. What kind of diesel Intercoolers are you talking about? The little Trucks? I forgot what they were called but are they bobcats? you know the little Trucks that are sometimes mercedes and dont have a trailer, they just have a van right behind the cab attached to the Chasiss?

Anyway what year corvette do you have? I have an 84 and it to has headers like you explained that have easy access to the spark plugs, but I dont know if it is thivk or not. What kind of coating would you use? Where could I get some and how much would it cost?
Old 02-09-2003, 10:33 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

yes the little ones( bob trucks). maybe an isuzu diesel or international .
i found a place on the net that sells all types of engine coatings. check it out. http://www.cermakrome.com[/URL] im planning on doing everything.( combustion chambers, valves,pistons, etc.)
i know your original headers dont seem extremely heavy, but i believe their a good bit heavier than the aftermarket 16 gauge norm. however i havent really checked it , but im sure their at least the same. and if it works out well, i can have them duplicated in stainless. if it doesnt , i havent lost much.
if someone has the facilities & the backing, and they mass produced them in heavy gauge stainless, someone could make a nice little roll w/ a little advertising. i mean if you make them to fit a vette, hell, they'll fit everything else w/ a small block chevy too. hint hint, (someone w/ deep pockets jump in here & jump on this idea & give us a free set for helping w/ the idea) :yesnod:

[Modified by neverendingproject, 3:35 AM 2/10/2003]

[Modified by neverendingproject, 3:36 AM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

How much power can the little Intercoolers( Semi Litlle size :lol: ) Handle? I'm not sure I would use it because, sure I have availability to them to, but I just dont know how much they can flow or how much power they can handle or boost. WOuld you happen to know? Also what kind of setup are you going for? A stock engine with 7-8 psi boost or all out Forged everything 8.5 to 1 compression 18psi+ Boost or something in the middle? Thanks for the help. Plus would you coat the inside of the Headers and U bend? Or just for the outside and then use some header wrapping with it? :jester :jester
Old 02-09-2003, 10:50 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

I'm so exicted to do this that I'm thinking of doing it on my stock CrossFire just to make it work and then eventually change the engine and drivetrain for stronger parts and run much more boost and so I can reach my goal of 800 Fly HP, Good luck with your TT. YOu know a lot of guys are doing it like where they buy the parts and let someone else make it for them, you and hopefully I will just do it ourselves. ONly if the other member had access to welders or a shop could do it themselves and save a lot of money. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To frustrated

Old 02-09-2003, 11:12 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

modern day diesels are designed for turbocharging. they make 20 to 35 psi boost depending on their horsepower rating. their intercoolers are designed to keep the intake air below 125 degrees , anything higher turns the cooling fans on. as far as flow, i have personally seen them flow enough air to suck up a bellsouth yellow pages & spit it out the exhaust , shredded. lol. of course they were running on oil also.
as far as what im going to do. i already have the drivetrain out of my car & tore down. i already have a scat forged & lightened crank sitting in the floor & a set of fast burn heads. i have been contemplating this for a while( hence no pistons yet) i now no im going for low compression forged pistons( closest to 8:1 as possible) and 6" rods. im going to start out somewhere close to 20psi & go from there. im going to need injectors( im guessing near 55pph) i'll have to check into it. btw, anyone need a set of 24pph ford motorsport injectors? e-mail me. i went with the fast burns due to their combustion chambers. supposedly make peak power at 26-28 degrees total advance( good for turbo charging). i think im going to go with a small blower cam. i would like to use mechanical roller lifters , but i doubt i can due to the knock sensor. whether it goes or blows , i'll let you guys know.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:14 PM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

What size turbos you guys looking into??? Ex-Gold was using t04b T3..... They are going for liek 350 new on ebay.....

Im not gonna worry aboutt he intercooler right now.. That I feel will be the easiest part

Looks like Im gonna pull out the MIG welder and start some SERIUOS practicing..... I got the shop so that helps alot.... The only thing that will stop me is the headers..... and cost obviuosly..... $4000... bring it on.. anything higher.. I need to save more money... Could Ex-Gold post a pic of his headers before they were installed .... any measurments on them.. That would be great!
Old 02-09-2003, 11:28 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: frustrated (StealDads67)

The turbos I'll looking at are http://www.precisionte.com/ and they are the ones that support like 460HP each, but When I put them on I'll limmit them to say 5-6 PSI Boost on my stock Corvette for now and then when I change it for stronger parts I will up the boost. Also what are you talking about 4000$ HeaderS???? The Hugger Block headers go for 150 and maybe $75 for some high quality U bends and then all you need to do it fit them in and weld them. This way I dont see how you could ever go near even $500 for headers this way. :confused:

Quick Reply: frustrated