C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 08:41 PM
stubbs
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's

I was told INCON used to make one but they went belly up. Not looking to buy tomorrow but am planning a major setup and like any good one it needs planning.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:50 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's (stubbs)

If INCON made one they never told anyone about it.

You could always look into a callaway

Old 10-15-2002, 09:57 PM
stubbs
Safety Car

Default Re: Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's (bill mcdonald)

Callaways performance results showed me that they have no clue how to set up a turbo setup though. How can you only gain 100hp(I believe) from a TT setup is a disgrace. From the setup I used to have on my stang (from TDC) the 1st stage setup was a 325 hp increase, all the way up to supporting 1050hp, If you had a block that could take it. I guess I am just amazed that no one offers a setup, it seems like there would be a market for it but heck maybe I am wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, at least accoring to my girlfriend who constantly loves to remind me when I am.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:40 PM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's (stubbs)

Whoever says callaway doesn't know how to set up a turbo system sure hasn't heard of the Sledgehammer (It's even meaner than its name implies). People are always asking about C4 kits, NO THERE IS NOT ONE. Building a custom setup will be extremely costly. If your heart is set on a turbo L98 I would recomend a Callaway. True the hp isn't impressive but they make ungodly torque and few people are realizing their potential to be modified.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:44 AM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

Uh, the Callaways were seriously detuned from the factory to meet emissions and warranty requirements. Basic ever so slight modifications to these cars yield unbelievable results.. trust me! :yesnod:
Old 10-16-2002, 11:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

A simple intake and cam swap and your making tons of power very easily.
If you've ever seen a Callaway up close you'll see that they indeed did their homework. In todays market you can't build a Callaway for what you can buy one for, and it's destine to be one of the best in collectables.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:50 PM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Callaways performance results showed me that they have no clue how to set up a turbo setup though. How can you only gain 100hp(I believe) from a TT setup is a disgrace. From the setup I used to have on my stang (from TDC) the 1st stage setup was a 325 hp increase, all the way up to supporting 1050hp, If you had a block that could take it. I guess I am just amazed that no one offers a setup, it seems like there would be a market for it but heck maybe I am wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, at least accoring to my girlfriend who constantly loves to remind me when I am.
Icon only made kits for mustangs and its out of business now, and TDC is apparently out of business also. their web site is down and Phone # disconnected. As far as TDC kist being good, I've heard both stories but I've more horror stories about their waiting times and sometimes parts never even arriving.
I dont know anything about Callaways turbos, but if they have a turbo kit, good or bad it already a foundation. Just increase the boost, change turbos, etc... and your done. The most difficult part is getting the headers and piping to work, everthing else is downhill.

Paul
Old 11-27-2002, 09:31 PM
TAC
Drifting

Check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1873636658

Old 11-28-2002, 08:43 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Damn you, TAC, I was keeping quiet about that one. :D
Old 11-28-2002, 10:47 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's (TAC)

A post should be brought up on the ZR1 section about this to see if the Callaway experts can shed some light on the completeness of the kit. A Callaway kit was on ebay 1 year ago or so , but it was missing some major parts that would have cost a bunch to buy from callaway. If I hadn't just bought a Supercharger, I would probably be all over this if everything checked out.
Old 11-29-2002, 02:37 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

If you know how to fab up all your pipes and know where to put it(almost just like the callaways) then you could do this yourself, I was plaining on using a TT setup but I switched to Big block for now. The thing is that you put the turbos near the oil pan to the sides in front of the firewall, next to the oil filter and the starter motor. If you got the Haynes Repair Manual go to page 1-7 chapter 1 page 7 and you'll see a pic of the underside of the front end and you'll see what I mean about the location of the turbos, hope this helps you out some. :thumbs:
Old 11-29-2002, 08:35 AM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Default Re: Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's (Light84vette)

If you know how to fab up all your pipes and know where to put it(almost just like the callaways) then you could do this yourself, I was plaining on using a TT setup but I switched to Big block for now. The thing is that you put the turbos near the oil pan to the sides in front of the firewall, next to the oil filter and the starter motor. If you got the Haynes Repair Manual go to page 1-7 chapter 1 page 7 and you'll see a pic of the underside of the front end and you'll see what I mean about the location of the turbos, hope this helps you out some. :thumbs:
The problem with that location is that you need an oil pump to pump it back to the oil pan. Callaway used a clever oil pump assembly that work of the belt tensioner.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:02 PM
TAC
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's (dgoodhue)

The problem with that location is that you need an oil pump to pump it back to the oil pan. Callaway used a clever oil pump assembly that work of the belt tensioner.
Ebay to the rescue again...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1873525237
Old 11-29-2002, 03:27 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

But you do get what I'm talking about, using that pump and the way Callaway set it up you could do this yourself. :chevy
Old 11-29-2002, 07:14 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

I would have never expected to see that on ebay, but cool find.

BTW I emailed the seller on TT kit and he said it was missing one air line, oil expansion tank, a few oil and coolant lines and PROM. It has 0 miles on it and use IHI (1987) turbos

[Modified by dgoodhue, 9:39 AM 11/30/2002]
Old 11-29-2002, 10:07 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Ebay to the rescue again...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1873525237
Actually that oil pump was removed by Callaway and considered obsolete. I think there were problems with it. Check Callaway's website, it was removed under recall.

RE that turbo kit....Those are the smaller turbos that came on the 87 cars according to the guys at CAC. I can tell you that they do look a little different that the turbos on my car.

:cheers:
Old 11-30-2002, 12:26 AM
TAC
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's (SurfnSun)

Actually that oil pump was removed by Callaway and considered obsolete. I think there were problems with it. Check Callaway's website, it was removed under recall.

:cheers:
From Callaway website. The pump on Ebay is the correct one, not the recalled one, and is driven off the tensioner.

"1987 cars had a pump that was driven off the front of the power steering pump. This pump is obsolete! If you see one of these on a car call the factory immediately. All cars should have a scavenge pump that is integrated with the accessory belt tensioner. "

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's

Old 12-02-2002, 11:43 AM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Boy the high bid was from Turbo305, I hope this TT kit isn't going on 305 Fbody...
Old 12-02-2002, 05:12 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's (dgoodhue)

That what I am wondering, I bid 3000 and he outbid me!
:(

I bet he finds it dont fit on F-body's :lol:
Old 12-02-2002, 08:28 PM
merrick
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's (bill mcdonald)

Hey bill, I am turbo305. Yeah, I have plans to put it on an 86 TA. 305 or 350, I don't know yet. I'm not expecting a direct bolt on but the hardest part will already be done. It will not be a track car but a real sleeper.
I was afraid the auction was going way higher than it did, especially since it was posted in several threads on this forum after I had spotted it.
Bill, don't hate me, I maybe asking for your advice later.

Yes, that below is my car too!

Quick Reply: Anyone know of a twin turbo kit,with an intercooler for L98's