C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vortec blower vs procharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:55 AM
Slow86vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vortec blower vs procharger?

I'm curious about how you guys that are actually running these blowers feel about them. Things like the quality of the head unit, ic, piping, belt system, etc. I have heard great things about blowerworks setups. I would just like to know from you guys that are actually running these setups.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Jay7199
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for what year car? I wouldn't buy a Vortech kit again.. Head unit is great, but **** the bracket/belt design, Blowerworks has a redesign of the Vortech bracket thats alot better, If I did it again I would go with that. This is on a LT1 so the older years use a much different mounting setup.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:07 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im pretty sure the Procharger will get into boost sooner because of gearing.
Also Have seen some prochargers with stripped off gears because or cog drive

Last edited by illenema; 07-17-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:45 AM
Slow86vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jay7199
for what year car? I wouldn't buy a Vortech kit again.. Head unit is great, but **** the bracket/belt design, Blowerworks has a redesign of the Vortech bracket thats alot better, If I did it again I would go with that. This is on a LT1 so the older years use a much different mounting setup.
It's an 86, but I've done an LT swap on it. I don't have any accesories except a relocated alternator and a power steering pump haha I have always heard that vortec blowers were better than procharger blowers but I wanted to know from people who actually have them. I would step up to an 8 rib belt bc of all the kits I've seen I've never seen anyone like the stock 6 rib setups bc they slip.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:19 AM
383tpimachine
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Just know that going to a 8 rib will run you 7k WITHOUT piping, IC, or meth kit for a YSI.

I am looking at 20k for motor, sc kit, and fuel system. Then I still have to address a trans and rear that WILL break which will run another 6k.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 383tpimachine
Just know that going to a 8 rib will run you 7k WITHOUT piping, IC, or meth kit for a YSI.

I am looking at 20k for motor, sc kit, and fuel system. Then I still have to address a trans and rear that WILL break which will run another 6k.
I'm entertaining the same idea, but I'm so deep into it now that I can't quit. My trans is relatively strong and so is the rear, but, I could have bought an early C5 ZO6 for what I'll have into my car. Not counting what I paid for the car, that was many many years ago. I think they will bury me in this car coz I can't get rid of it now.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:24 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
I'm entertaining the same idea, but I'm so deep into it now that I can't quit. My trans is relatively strong and so is the rear, but, I could have bought an early C5 ZO6 for what I'll have into my car. Not counting what I paid for the car, that was many many years ago. I think they will bury me in this car coz I can't get rid of it now.
stay c4. the c5/6 arent as magical as people think.

Supercharger, turbo technology. meth injection, user-tunable computers, fuel pumps, and know-how, etc. all took off after the c4. This is the only reason why you see 'hey, I made 700 rwhp on the stock bottom end' in the c5/6 forced induction section.

There is nothing magical about those motors. Just better aftermarket technology now that supports them. That same technology can also be applied to your car. They arent still making c4s/lt1's so thats why you dont see big name people making big power kits for them.

If it takes me an extra 4 psi boost to overcome the LSx freer flowing heads magic than so be it. Who cares. It wont matter in a drag race as it will come down to driver / suspension / vehicle weight etc.

This is what greg@blowerworks knows is how to put that same technology into the c4 design. He's just a much smaller scale operation than the ECS, A&A, and all the other go-to turn-key supercharger speed shops.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Street Lethal
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
There is nothing magical about those motors.
Agreed. You'll only hear how magical they are from people who don't know how to build an engine, they just jump on the bandwagon and go with the fastest factory engine of the day then defend it the best that they can. I myself would much rather put a set of Arao 32 valve heads on an LT1 as opposed to going the LSX route...
Old 08-04-2014, 05:27 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

I would check what gearing the supercharger has, i have a Vortec V1 blower and am limited by the smallest blower pulley.

I had to cut and reinforce part of the crossmember to fit a larger diameter crank pulley to get more boost. You are stuck with 6-8 psi with a vortech V1 blower unless you can fit a larger crank pulley.

If the procharger has better gearing for more boost, buy it.

Get a tried and proven kit that delivers what it promises, one that has a boost figure. You want a lot more h/p for the money spent to fit a blower, otherwise it is a waste of money for just a few psi boost.

I have had the blower for around six or eight years, has been very reliable and the standard engine did not blow up.

Am not sure on the step up gearing my vortec V1 blower has.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Street Lethal
Cruising

Originally Posted by gerardvg
I would check what gearing the supercharger has, i have a Vortec V1 blower and am limited by the smallest blower pulley.

I had to cut and reinforce part of the crossmember to fit a larger diameter crank pulley to get more boost. You are stuck with 6-8 psi with a vortech V1 blower unless you can fit a larger crank pulley...
Also very important to buy a supercharger based on the amount of cfm the engine is ingesting naturally aspirated, which is why I would always recommend an engine dyno before considering which supercharger to go with. Too many guys base it solely off of engine displacement alone, which is a mistake. Less power one 350 engine makes naturally aspirated in comparison with another equates to more boost pressure resistance (psi) with the very same pulley and RPM...
Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg

I had to cut and reinforce part of the crossmember to fit a larger diameter crank pulley to get more boost. You are stuck with 6-8 psi with a vortech V1 blower unless you can fit a larger crank pulley.

If the procharger has better gearing for more boost, buy it.

Get a tried and proven kit that delivers what it promises, one that has a boost figure. You want a lot more h/p for the money spent to fit a blower, otherwise it is a waste of money for just a few psi boost.

I have had the blower for around six or eight years, has been very reliable and the standard engine did not blow up.

Am not sure on the step up gearing my vortec V1 blower has.
man, I would love to see a picture of that. I am so frustrated with the 7.35" crank pulley. I've gone 8 rib but it's still not enough with the bigger blowers.

To the original poster, I have the old school blowerworks bracket and am pretty happy with it. I have had the newer style vortech and "blowerworks improved vortech" designs over the years. The blower works ones are much better but ultimately you're limited by the size of the crank pulley you can run. The procharger units use a higher step up ratio so it is not as much of an issue with those on the c4. Definately get an 8 rib setup if you go vortech.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:05 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Many ways to skin the 'cat' including running the largest crank pulley you can. I offer up to 8" crank pulleys in both 6 and 8 rib for the L98. The LTx I offer is a custom ATI SuperDamper with an OD of 7.362" Can it be made bigger - sure ! Give me an order for 10 pieces and we'll do !!!!!!!!!
I also sell a notched serpentine pulley in 6 and 8 rib for your blower that will not slip. It's almost like running a semi-cog belt. Best part is the pulley will fit any blower with a simple collet change. Pics on my website.
greg
Old 08-10-2014, 03:23 PM
bogor
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
I also sell a notched serpentine pulley in 6 and 8 rib for your blower that will not slip. It's almost like running a semi-cog belt. Best part is the pulley will fit any blower with a simple collet change. Pics on my website.
greg
I can vouch for this pulley, works like a charm. 6rib and overspinning s-trim- no slip at all.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Slow86vette
Instructor

Many ways to skin the 'cat' including running the largest crank pulley you can. I offer up to 8" crank pulleys in both 6 and 8 rib for the L98. The LTx I offer is a custom ATI SuperDamper with an OD of 7.362" Can it be made bigger - sure ! Give me an order for 10 pieces and we'll do !!!!!!!!!
greg
So Greg I have an 86 that I have put a mildly built lt1 into since the tpi and computer just aren't..the easy way to do it I guess. So if it was your car and you were to boost it, how would you do it? Vortec or procharger and what belt setup?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Slow86vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by qwiketz
man, I would love to see a picture of that. I am so frustrated with the 7.35" crank pulley. I've gone 8 rib but it's still not enough with the bigger blowers.

To the original poster, I have the old school blowerworks bracket and am pretty happy with it. I have had the newer style vortech and "blowerworks improved vortech" designs over the years. The blower works ones are much better but ultimately you're limited by the size of the crank pulley you can run. The procharger units use a higher step up ratio so it is not as much of an issue with those on the c4. Definately get an 8 rib setup if you go vortech.
Thanks for the information. If I buy a blower I'm definetly going to use the blowerworks setup. I've always read that the stock setups on both prochargers and vortec blowers that the pulley system given with the kit isn't enough if you run more than a few lbs of boost and actually start trying to spin the blower.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:28 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Slow86vette
So Greg I have an 86 that I have put a mildly built lt1 into since the tpi and computer just aren't..the easy way to do it I guess. So if it was your car and you were to boost it, how would you do it? Vortec or procharger and what belt setup?
Slow 86 - so you have a 1986 Vette with the LTx engine ? greg
Old 08-17-2014, 07:31 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Slow86vette
Thanks for the information. If I buy a blower I'm definetly going to use the blowerworks setup. I've always read that the stock setups on both prochargers and vortec blowers that the pulley system given with the kit isn't enough if you run more than a few lbs of boost and actually start trying to spin the blower.
You can make almost any amount of supercharger boost you want up to 20 pounds given the right selection of components into the Chevy small block. greg

Get notified of new replies

To Vortec blower vs procharger?

Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 AM
Slow86vette
Instructor

Slow 86 - so you have a 1986 Vette with the LTx engine ? greg
Yes, that is correct.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:56 AM
Street Lethal
Cruising

The LTx I offer is a custom ATI SuperDamper with an OD of 7.362" Can it be made bigger - sure ! Give me an order for 10 pieces and we'll do !!!!!!!!!
Was going to sell the C4 because of the CTS I just bought, but can't get myself to let her go. If you are serious about this then consider me one of the ten needed...
Old 08-31-2014, 12:34 PM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi Street _ I no longer have access to the LTx. What size would you buy ? greg

Quick Reply: Vortec blower vs procharger?