C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1991 ZR1 TT setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:50 AM
SupaVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1991 ZR1 TT setup

Hi Everyone. I'm not sure where is best to post this, in this section or the ZR1 section, but here goes. A buddy of mine is looking at doing the rear mount twin turbo setup on his ZR1. The goal is to get at least 600 RWHP. Here come the questions. All the engine internal work like lowering the compression etc is fine and I don't have an issue doing locally. What we are looking for is a complete kit that we can get pretty much like what Greg did with the Carrol S/C kits. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on who or what to get/speak to regarding this. We would really need it to be complete since here in South Africa this will probably be the only TT ZR1 in the country. We're looking for turbo's, all the piping necessary, nuts, bolts, oil lines the works. Man this is where I wish Greg at blowerwoks did something for the Z's, his kits and help are so extensive it's just awesome. Anyways would really appreciate some idea's, suggestions or experience that you guys are willing to share. I must admit I haven't done a turbo build before, my Vette had a S/C on it, so i'm feeling a little concerned, especially regarding the tuning.

Many thanks in advance
Peter
Old 04-07-2014, 08:08 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Why rear mount?

Talk to lcvette. He has done a turbo lt1.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by SupaVette
Hi Everyone. I'm not sure where is best to post this, in this section or the ZR1 section, but here goes. A buddy of mine is looking at doing the rear mount twin turbo setup on his ZR1. The goal is to get at least 600 RWHP. Here come the questions. All the engine internal work like lowering the compression etc is fine and I don't have an issue doing locally. What we are looking for is a complete kit that we can get pretty much like what Greg did with the Carrol S/C kits. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on who or what to get/speak to regarding this. We would really need it to be complete since here in South Africa this will probably be the only TT ZR1 in the country. We're looking for turbo's, all the piping necessary, nuts, bolts, oil lines the works. Man this is where I wish Greg at blowerwoks did something for the Z's, his kits and help are so extensive it's just awesome. Anyways would really appreciate some idea's, suggestions or experience that you guys are willing to share. I must admit I haven't done a turbo build before, my Vette had a S/C on it, so i'm feeling a little concerned, especially regarding the tuning.

Many thanks in advance
Peter
Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.raptorllc.net/LT5.htm
Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 AM
SupaVette
Racer

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Why rear mount?

Talk to lcvette. He has done a turbo lt1.
Well only because of space concerns, not sure about fitting the turbos in with the LT5 motor but don't actually mind where they or it are mounted
Old 04-07-2014, 12:36 PM
SupaVette
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.raptorllc.net/LT5.htm
Yeah thanks, any feed back on their systems?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:58 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Well only because of space concerns, not sure about fitting the turbos in with the LT5 motor but don't actually mind where they or it are mounted
I guess you are right.

Arent the heads wider?

Sounds amazing. good luck!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Yeah thanks, any feed back on their systems?
Not from me. I've talked to the owner of that co. on the phone...seems like a stand up guy. Could meet your criteria. Get in touch w/him.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:24 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are the power goals for the car and what supporting mods are planned fuel system wise, tuning, engine build etc....
Old 05-05-2014, 03:42 AM
SupaVette
Racer

Originally Posted by lcvette
What are the power goals for the car and what supporting mods are planned fuel system wise, tuning, engine build etc....
Well, the power goal is 600rwhp, as for the mods I guess the simplest answer is what ever is required. What I picture being needed is to change pistons to reduce comp ratio and to put forged in (not sure if the lt5 is forged or not), larger injectors and inline fuel pump, tuning and then ofc the turbo system with intercooler and oil system. To be honest I have no idea what is required, just a general sense from what I had on my S/C vette, that's why i'm looking for someone with a complete package, or at least a kit along with a list of things that also need to be done. Engine work, exhaust work, turbo's I can source locally, my concerns are the vette specific stuff like injectors, oiling system, tuning, piping to go to throttle body. As we don't have many vette's here not many people know how to work on them. We have lots of guys who say they can but actually have no clue.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:24 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

for 600 you don't need turbos and if you are going through the hassle, you might want to consider a more lofty goal

the Raptor is the only kit available, and custom fabbing some turbos requires a very precise exhaust manifold but certainly mounting the turbos in the Y of the block works fine as evidenced by LPE, Callaway, and Mallet turbo ZR-1s

the new Raptor design is much more affordable.

for tuning, Raptor engineered a plug and play Raptor Megsquirt solution, but it's still in "beta testing" a few integration issues to work out with the CCM interface for the Security and gas milieage dash functions but really nothing major as you can pull the bulb and the rest of the dash works fine allows full control of fueling spark and autocorrection with the wideband

all in all it's a complete solution.

do some searches here on the ZR-1 forum and you'll see many posts on the topic. been pursuing this for quite some time but financially it's a big committment.

contact Ron Hanselman and he should be able to hook you up on the Raptor solution.

or if you are handy with fabrication, there are certainly many designs out there that are "known good" solutions.

If you are seriously interested (and have the means) for this project please PM me and I can help you navigate options and share my experience (ex ZR-1 club president, owned quite a few modified ZR-1s and I know the architecture well)

good luck
Old 05-26-2014, 10:06 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Megasquirt option would be a much easier tuning solution. If it were me, I would give it some serious thought. Real time tuning and as mentioned, wide band correction. I assembled my own Megasquirt and they are a breeze to tune. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:36 AM
SupaVette
Racer

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
for 600 you don't need turbos and if you are going through the hassle, you might want to consider a more lofty goal

the Raptor is the only kit available, and custom fabbing some turbos requires a very precise exhaust manifold but certainly mounting the turbos in the Y of the block works fine as evidenced by LPE, Callaway, and Mallet turbo ZR-1s

the new Raptor design is much more affordable.

for tuning, Raptor engineered a plug and play Raptor Megsquirt solution, but it's still in "beta testing" a few integration issues to work out with the CCM interface for the Security and gas milieage dash functions but really nothing major as you can pull the bulb and the rest of the dash works fine allows full control of fueling spark and autocorrection with the wideband

all in all it's a complete solution.

do some searches here on the ZR-1 forum and you'll see many posts on the topic. been pursuing this for quite some time but financially it's a big committment.

contact Ron Hanselman and he should be able to hook you up on the Raptor solution.

or if you are handy with fabrication, there are certainly many designs out there that are "known good" solutions.

If you are seriously interested (and have the means) for this project please PM me and I can help you navigate options and share my experience (ex ZR-1 club president, owned quite a few modified ZR-1s and I know the architecture well)

good luck
Well, the reason behind the 600 was purely safety. The original goal was 1000, but I don't want it to get to a stage where you end up twisting side shafts or the transmission/diff cant take it. But that's also why I'm posting here and getting as much input as possible. The project is a definite, its just a matter of finding someone who can provide us with what we need to make it happen. Our main problem this side is simply the guys who are full of BS who say they know what they are doing and they don't. This was how I ended up working on Vette's in the 1st place because people took me to the cleaners when I 1st got hooked. That's why i'm looking for as complete a kit as possible so the majority of the work can be done by myself or people I trust to do the work required. I have received a response from Ron, saying he would look into it and come back to me but I haven't heard anything since.

The vette already looks pretty good, it's got some OZ 18" with 335's on the back and Penske coil over suspension, now it just needs the performance to suite from a reliable package that works.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:36 AM
SupaVette
Racer

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
The Megasquirt option would be a much easier tuning solution. If it were me, I would give it some serious thought. Real time tuning and as mentioned, wide band correction. I assembled my own Megasquirt and they are a breeze to tune. Good luck!
That sounds great
Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 PM
rhanselman
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still kicking if you want to talk...
Old 06-10-2014, 07:04 AM
SupaVette
Racer

Originally Posted by rhanselman
I'm still kicking if you want to talk...
Hi Ron, Yeah, I need info from you so we can get this rolling.

I need to know pretty much what your kit includes, what we will need to add or source etc etc. Its a case of pretty much lets do this just tell me what I need to do

You can email me if you like with all the info, you should still have the address from previous mail, if not let me know.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:24 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good read http://truestreetcars.com/forums/pro...o-project.html

Front mounted

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 ZR1 TT setup

Quick Reply: 1991 ZR1 TT setup