C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Looking at a Procharged 1991- have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Looking at a Procharged 1991- have questions.

I currently have a 1992 coupe and a 2002 Z06. I am considering buying a 1991 6 speed with a Procharger supercharger on it. Apparently the drivetrain is stock except for the Procharger, which is running at 6 pounds of boost. After tuning at a reputable shop the dyno showed 315 RWHP and 390 ft- pds of torque.
The supercharger was installed in 2008 and has about 3000 miles of use on it. The car has 82000 miles on it.

I have been told by Tom Wong In Vancouver, the local performance guru in the Northwest, that this should be a reliable setup.

Never having a supercharged car before, what should I look for? What kind of belts should it be running? How will it affect the engine temps when driving? Will the stock clutch and tranny hold up to regular street driving, with no racing, but some spirited acceleration?

Just what kind of problems should I be on the lookout for? What should I be looking at as far as the installation of the Procharger goes? Are they a good, reliable supercharger? What type of maintenance and care do they require?

I have not seen the car yet, just pictures and conversation with the owner.
<p>
<p>

Last edited by Kmcoldcars; 03-10-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
I currently have a 1992 coupe and a 2002 Z06. I am considering buying a 1991 6 speed with a Procharger supercharger on it. Apparently the drivetrain is stock except for the Procharger, which is running at 6 pounds of boost. After tuning at a reputable shop the dyno showed 315 RWHP and 390 ft- pds of torque.
The supercharger was installed in 2008 and has about 3000 miles of use on it. The car has 82000 miles on it.

I have been told by Tom Wong In Vancouver, the local performance guru in the Northwest, that this should be a reliable setup.

Never having a supercharged car before, what should I look for? What kind of belts should it be running? How will it affect the engine temps when driving? Will the stock clutch and tranny hold up to regular street driving, with no racing, but some spirited acceleration?

Just what kind of problems should I be on the lookout for? What should I be looking at as far as the installation of the Procharger goes? Are they a good, reliable supercharger? What type of maintenance and care do they require?

<p>
<p>
Maybe just add the Supercharger to what you have now.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Supercharging is great when its a tried and proven installation, very reliable h/p more go everywhere with excellent manners on the road starts easy and can putter around in slow traffic .
Massive amounts of torque everywhere, you will need really sticky tires to prevent wheel spin at the slightest stab of the accellerator.

Procharger offers an intercooled kit which is a lot safer as the charge is cooled before going into the inlet manifold, you can run a blower without an intercooller however you need methanol/ water injection with ignition retard to control knocking as the boost rises, retarding does detract the performance somewhat but keeps your pistons intact.

I have been running 8 psi boost on my 85 TPI for around 7 years now, the main issues are Transmission, half shafts and universal joints.
Have twisted the half shafts blown 2x turbo 700 trans before finding a great trans builder, heat is another issue i cannot drive the car with a/c on above 34 deg c (95F) without running very hot engine temps.
Great in the winter or summer on the highway, doesn't like summer crawling from traffic lights to traffic lights.

The intercooller in my 85 is almost the size of the radiator,a smaller intercooler should solve the overheating in summer. (procharger do have a nice smaller size intercooller, that is a tried and proven kit)

Old 04-17-2014, 12:34 AM
ketzerracing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars

<p>
<p>
Maybe it's just the light, but was that car hit b4? Why is the tail a different shade than the rear quarters? Usually cars that have been, are a darker shade than the stock paint, assuming they used oem#'s on the paint.
Back to your original question, a close friend runs an lt1 with a pro charger, and loves it! Aside from belt replacement and oil changes for the unit, no other mtce.. Good luck brother!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Brand-X
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with TJWong... Enjoy!

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at a Procharged 1991- have questions.

Quick Reply: Looking at a Procharged 1991- have questions.