C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Switching to a single plane intake!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:15 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bogor
Ignition problems that create misfire shows up as lean when looking at a wideband, will prob look into this as a first step. Maybe the old msd6 box or coil is the root cause?
I'm not sure I agree with that. An ignition misfire would leave unburned fuel in the cylinder and should read as a rich condition on your WBO2. Someone else mentioned an injector misfire would show as a lean condition and I agree with that also.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:44 AM
bogor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
I'm not sure I agree with that. An ignition misfire would leave unburned fuel in the cylinder and should read as a rich condition on your WBO2. Someone else mentioned an injector misfire would show as a lean condition and I agree with that also.
To my understanding, the wb only read amount of free oxygene. If there is no combustion, the oxygene in the cylinders will not be converted into CO2. The amount of oxygene will be higher than normal and this is what the WB see and display as lean.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:29 AM
bogor
Instructor

Made some new tests:
-set zero lash
-bypassed the J&S safeguard knock box
-new distributor rotor
-removed the piping between blower and TB and used the short belt (in essence running it NA)
-removed one injector clip at the time
-filled up with fresh gas

Result: nothing, it is maybe even running worse now. It took only about 5minutes before it starts missing and it completly stalled after about 20 minutes
(Had to wait at the roadside for about 20 minutes when I managed to limp home).

No change disconnecting one and in one occation two injectors, still run like crap (only tested at stand still and revving it).

Last edited by bogor; 07-20-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:19 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

To my understanding, the wb only read amount of free oxygene. If there is no combustion, the oxygene in the cylinders will not be converted into CO2. The amount of oxygene will be higher than normal and this is what the WB see and display as lean.
Yeah, I see your point. I guess I didn't think that one through.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:35 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Have you verified these things when it is hot and acting up?
1)fuel pressure
2)timing
3)spark (maybe you can use and inductive pickup or something
4)injector impedance
If those all check out, then maybe the ECU. Seems unlikely that it happened right when you changed to a single plane.
Just throwing some things at ya to help keep you thinking.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 AM
bogor
Instructor

1) fuelpressure: checked cold and warm
2) timing: verified that commanded spark advance and real advance are the same, checked with strobe light at idle
3) well, I have looked at the spark plugs but when you mention it I will check it really is spark when it runs.
4) injector resistance checked with ohmmeter hot and cold

Today I checked exhaust temp with my IR gun. It looks like there is a discrepancy for cylinder 7: at idle and directly after shutdown all header pipes reach around 400-500F. However, no 7 is only at around 150-160F.

I will get a noidlight to check the injectors really are getting power or if there is a problem with one or several of the injector drivers in the ECU.

Update: checked spark and all 8 wires "hot" and live. The noidlight showed that cyl 7 is dead (no light). Strange thing is that now also cylinder 2 is cool (same as cyl 7) but noidlight lights up-strange...guess the problem at least partly lies within the ECU

Last edited by bogor; 07-21-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:32 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

sounds like your getting closer to the problem
Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 AM
bogor
Instructor

Originally Posted by blackozvet
sounds like your getting closer to the problem
Thanks! This has been a real pain but yes, it finally looks like I'm getting somewhere after stumbling around in the darkness for several weeks now.

I have located another Autronic SMC unit I most likely can borrow and test this week! If it is something in the electronics thats broke in my unit it prob will need to be sent to Australia so lets hope its just something related to internal wiring, connector etc.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 AM
bogor
Instructor

a bad injector clip or wiring could do it, I know gerard always talks about bad injector wiring that took him over a year to find, and he nearly sold the car cheap he got so sick of chasing the problem.
!
You and several others were so right! I have found the problem: it is bad injector clip/wires to injector 2 and 7.

It looks like a soldered wire close to the clips at cylinder 2 was bad. Dont know where the problem lies for cylinder 7 but when bypassing the old wiring and clip with a new wire and clip it works. Its strange, all eight injector clips measured ok (zero resistance). It seems like a soldered joint tends to brake down after some years. I will replace the whole injector harness later but for now I just replace the two clips and nearby wiring.

Thankyou everyone for support and good ideas!

Last edited by bogor; 07-23-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

good work !
I guess the secret to diagnosing that one is using the heat gun on the header pipes to see which ones are burning ?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:39 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankieD
This is my analysis and recommendations and the reasons for.
You are running in open loop and using a Wideband O2 in the exhaust just to monitor AFR so this has no relevance to symptoms. You have already checked and or replaced anything to do with ignition such as plugs, wires, distributor and coil. If it was caused by an ignition misfire this would cause raw fuel to be dumped into the exhaust which will definitely cause backfire or popping in the exhaust – which you do not mention of having.
I would recommend that you concentrate your efforts on a faulty injector, injector connector or wiring, or possibly an intermittent injector driver when it gets hot. A misfiring injector will cause your wideband O2 to read very lean.
You can try to run the car until the symptom happens then pull over and with an Ohmmeter measure each injector’s resistance value to see if anything seems abnormal on any one of them.
Hope this gives you some direction to troubleshoot.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:24 AM
bogor
Instructor

FrankieD: your crystal clear assessment and recommendations were spot on and I really appreciate you steered me in the right direction!

I have changed the injector clip for cylinder 7 but it seems the problem lies somewhere in wiring that is well tucked away at the firewall. I have now made a "semi permanent" connection from the ECU connector and to a new clip and this will hopefully last the season. I will replace everything when the snow is back and car on jackstands.

Before doing some street tuning and dyno I need to have the car approved in the yearly inspection by the transport authorities so hopefully on the dyno in a week or two from now.

Last edited by bogor; 07-25-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:45 AM
bogor
Instructor

good work !
I guess the secret to diagnosing that one is using the heat gun on the header pipes to see which ones are burning ?
It was a very quick way of nailing down the problems to individual cylinders. Since several suspected something related to the injectors, wiring, clips I purchased the noidlights. I also got myself an kind of pencil like "thing" that indicate if you got power in the spark plug wires and this combined with the noidlights was the key.

Im finally back on track and looking forward to find out what this new intake will result in when I take the car to the dyno (soon).

Last edited by bogor; 07-25-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:39 PM
bogor
Instructor

I made some initial WOT runs tonight. The tune was way off when I started but Im npw at around afr 11,5 at 5000rpms. Also very conservative advance (17degrees). Maybe partly in the tune but it feels like I lost considerable amount of torques at mid rpms (vs the Superram I used before). Also feel like Im down on power at higher rpms but suspect more spark advance will change this.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:57 PM
bogor
Instructor

Today I visited the track and made some full 1/4 mile runs. My SOTP feeling was unfortunately correct, trap speed is down 3mph with the single plane intake versus the superram/tpi intake. Best trap speed today was 117 mph. Quite dissapointing outcome of all work. ET was real crappy (12,5) but I take it very gently having two broken driveshaft still fresh on my mind. Fuel was at afr12.Tried some various settings of SA and 24 degrees gave me best trap speed but lit the knock light. Less spark got rid of the knock but speed was down even more. Alot of rain so I could only make five passes but I think additional runs and tuning wont be sufficient tp get me where I want to be (close to 125 mph).

Last edited by bogor; 08-17-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:35 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Today I visited the track and made some full 1/4 mile runs. My SOTP feeling was unfortunately correct, trap speed is down 3mph with the single plane intake versus the superram/tpi intake. Best trap speed today was 117 mph. Quite dissapointing outcome of all work. ET was real crappy (12,5) but I take it very gently having two broken driveshaft still fresh on my mind. Fuel was at afr12.Tried some various settings of SA and 24 degrees gave me best trap speed but lit the knock light. Less spark got rid of the knock but speed was down even more. Alot of rain so I could only make five passes but I think additional runs and tuning wont be sufficient tp get me where I want to be (close to 125 mph).
i guess you have to keep in mind that you have built a custom made turbo setup, there will be some development issues,
if a manufacturer had built that setup it would have spent millions of dollars and had an entire engineering department working on it
Old 08-18-2014, 03:15 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Is there any Boost PSI difference from the new setup as compared to the previous intake?

Get notified of new replies

To Switching to a single plane intake!

Old 08-18-2014, 04:25 PM
bogor
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Is there any Boost PSI difference from the new setup as compared to the previous intake?
I did expect boost to be somewhat lower but my logs does not show any real difference vs my old intake setup. Max boost is about 12,7 psi with the new intake and about 12,5 with the old superram intake .

After discussing with Greg and given the facts that I now run 3mph slower on the 1/4 mile and boost is the same as before, it looks like the new intake combo is actually more restrictive than my old Superram combo!!

Since I have replaced alot of tubing with one 90 degree and an elbow and the TPI 2x52mm TB with a huge 100mm LS style TB I now suspect the single plane intake itself to be the bottleneck. Looking at it from the positive side-I have learned alot...

Last edited by bogor; 08-19-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Orr89rocz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you port the single plane to the heads? I find it hard to believe this didnt make more power and run harder? Did you shift any higher? Powerband should have moved up higher
Old 08-19-2014, 03:42 PM
bogor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
Did you port the single plane to the heads?
see post #47

The120mph runs was during 2013 (that was on another track but similar 60 ft time) and according to the logs I shifted at around 6000 rpms.

Since I reach max impeller speed (50000) at 5800rpms I have kept revs down a little but during this last week runs with the single plane I took it up some more (about 6400 rpms) on one of the runs but no real improvemnt in trap speed.

Quick Reply: Switching to a single plane intake!