C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Just got my Procharger kit, Have a ton of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:36 PM
SSgtGoodWrench
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my Procharger kit, Have a ton of questions

Hey guys. So i just got my ATI procharger kit.

Now i have been a mechanic since i was 16 and then joined the military to be a mechanic for the first 5ish years of my contract. With that said this is my first time boosting a non facotry forced induction engine. My last boosted car came TC. So i have a few questions. Now the ATI kit looks really good and almost complete but i had some questions about maybe switching out some things in it. Please give me your thoughts or if i'm just talking crazy please put me in my place.

1. The ATI kit comes with a secondary fuel pump and a FMU. I have a 95. Can i just order a walbro 255 from racetronix and ditch the AUX pump. Also can i just get bigger injectors and have my tuner tune that combo and also ditch the FMU.

2.Plugs. I am thinking 2 heat ranges colder. Any objections

Now other things i am going to buy are a catch can for any blow by and a ignition upgrade. I had a full MSD setup in my vette before i bought this blower but the MSD 6AL box and Coil both died at different times (i so hate msd). So i am going to go with a Crane HI-6R with their coil. Also i am going to pick up a keyed ATI dampener. I think that's it.

Now if anyone else has any additional advice or inputs on anything please feel free to share. Thanks for any help anyone can give. You guys are awesome and i love this forum.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:34 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the purchase, I have a vortech setup that I installed,
AtI superdampner is a must. Not sure how many ribs you are dealing with,
be sure your ignition box has a timing retard control, I run a ractronix intank pump with seimens 60 lb injectors, so no FMU. Blowerworks can supply you with a the proper tune and you will have to measure operating perimeters. Blowerworks can supply you with a fantastic tune. Idles and runs like stock and passes emissions,
Blowerworks.net Will have everything, downloads, and experience and all parts you will ever need

http://www.blowerworks.net/

Last edited by illenema; 10-12-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:16 PM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

It's too bad you already bought the entire procharger kit. Greg's kit has it all. The biggest problem with the kit you have is belt slip. The good thing is Greg can supply an 8 plus 6 rib setup that eliminates belt slip. I suggest you go to blower works.net and read his semi white paper on supercharging a C4 before you install the kit. If you just want a few parts to enhance what you have I may be able to help. You can get away with 24 Lb injectors with the FMU without a tune, assuming you have the stock tune and still get great gas mileage. I still have 24 Lb injectors from FIC if your interested, because if you still have the stock multitec ones they will lock up. If you can't afford to go to the 8 plus 6 I also have a super damper for the stock set up. Also, if your still running stock brakes, at least get better pads or upgrade. So read up and you'll probably have a lot more questions. In this case you might want to think about your final goal and what it will take before you proceed. Like you I started with a stock kit and not much is left. I've even upgraded from a P-1SC to a D-1SC and wish I did it when I bought the kit. Hopefully our lessons learned can point you in the right direction.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:53 PM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

When I mentioned stock tune above I meant stock cam.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:56 AM
SSgtGoodWrench
Advanced

First off thanks for the advice so far guys. I read the white paper a couple of times. I emailed blowerworks to see what they offer. They have allot of stuff for the vortech kits, didn’t see that much for the Procharger kits on there site. Right now I am running a Hot cam kit to include the 1.6 RR, full exhaust including long tubes and a custom tune. I am also running the bosh 3 24lb injectors. Will the 255lph walbro and the bosch 3 24lbs injectors be enough. Armysnipe which ati damper 917274 or 917269.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:51 AM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

What is your ultimate goal with boost and how much do you want to spend? I ask because this will determine what parts you need.

As far as fueling Greg will definitely point you in the right direction.

The damper I have is the 917269 and will only work with the stock crank because it's been honed per the ATI instructions. You only need this if your going with minimal boost and never upgrading.

I wound up switching to the ATI 8 plus 6 damper and the improved pulley setup Greg supplies. If you wind up going with more than 6 PSI of boost it's a must have part to prevent belt slip. So far it's held up to 13 LBS for me. If I decide to go higher all I need is a smaller blower pulley.

Another item you might want to consider is procharger's drain line kit. It's on their website and can be purchased in their store. It will allow you to change the oil in the SC without having to remove it and saves hours of labor.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:35 PM
SSgtGoodWrench
Advanced

Right now my goal is to just get started and run the preset amount of boost. Once I get comfortable with everything and get my setup tweaked nice then I am going to build up the motor. After that I will start looking to make some serious boost. I already spent 5500 for the kit so I’m not trying to drop crazy money at least for a little bit. Greg emailed me so I will get with him. Depending on how much the 8+6 setup is armysnipe I might want to buy that ATI damper off of you. Also that drain line kit is a great idea. Thanks again guys for all the help and advice.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tune can handling timing and fuel, you don't need an ignition system that incorporates timing retard.

the Procharger setup is said to suffer from belt slip, but you should be able to get the ball rolling with the current setup (trying to stay budget minded). In-tank pump upgrade, 60# injectors and a tune will handle the setup. Greg is definitely the "go to" guy, but I don't want you to feel that your kit is "junk" and you need to spend $5,000 more to get it right. enjoy the combination, and "evolve" it as you progress.

the hot-cam isn't "ideal" for the blower, but it will work. Again, you'll eventually want to swap more and more parts out in pursuit of power! lol Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:08 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Running the stock computer with a tune on my Vortech supercharged 383, pretty wild cam

runs great could drive it every day if I wanted to
Old 10-13-2013, 09:07 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On Base are you? Drive by Nellis twice a week
Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 AM
SSgtGoodWrench
Advanced

Thanks for the advice mnstrlt1. Already have new injectors and a racetronix fuelpump on order.
Brian that is good to hear. Thanks
Illenema I am at nellis. Have been stationed there for a long time now.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM
RVY
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Strongly suggest you keep the boost under 10lbs with the stock bottom end. Some of us tend to get carried away with the race for more horsepower. Your rings will be the first to go. Possibly some ring lands. That's just the way it is.
All in fun and pleasure.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:19 AM
Godspeed Oakland
Advanced

ATI told me 12psi is where they would start on a C-4 L98 Vette. He also said the 3.40" pulley is supposed to make 12psi, but usually actually makes a pound or two less. Ordering a 12psi pulley gives you, At Most, 12psi and that is the best place to start; as long as you are following the instructions, using quality recommended fuels (no 87/89 octane). Do not let Her ping! 12psi is where I'd start, especially with an inter-cooled system.

Get notified of new replies

To Just got my Procharger kit, Have a ton of questions

Quick Reply: Just got my Procharger kit, Have a ton of questions