C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ProCharged '90 w/ Super Ram, any clearance issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 02:40 AM
Godspeed Oakland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProCharged '90 w/ Super Ram, any clearance issues?

Howdy,

I finally got my D-1 ProCharger Tuner Kit ordered yesterday for our next SpeedTV Build. Now that we got comped the right price, I can finally finish my build of an all Forged 383 with Heads, Exhaust, ZEX NO2 & Blower.

The only question I need answered is whether the original, now discontinued, Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram Intake has any clearance issues with the ATI Blower & Piping kit for my '90 6-Spd. 'Vette?

I found a dusty, but new SR, except without rails & injectors. This actually saves me $ since I don't have to pay extra for a SR with them and I'll be using different sized rails & injectors than what they came with stock. If it will fit my application without clearance issue, I will buy it. Then I'll have the base and runners ported, radiused, port-matched with the new heads and maybe even E-Honed.

Thanks in advance for the advice...
Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious to know what heads and cam you're planning on running. I don't believe you'll run into clearance issues with the super ram, but it might be the "bottle neck" in your build. The D-1 moves some serious air, so I'd almost be inclined to suggest a miniram (TPIS) or even an LT-x intake manifold modified for your application.

Of course, I'll let the L98 guys step in with further advise. You can also reach out to Gregg at blowerworks.net
Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Godspeed Oakland
Advanced

I got the Kit and Greg and I have been planning this build for awhile. He's been very helpful. We've built dozens of ATI Blown Engines. The Centri peaks an overabundance of HP over Torque, therefore I want the build to have the N/A advantage of even HP and TQ from the beginning. Looking at the Stealth Build, or the Ten Times Torque article, the very best manifold was the SR with its' 500/500 HP/TQ. The MiniRam and a Centri Blower would be a HP Machine, but a low TQ. Motor, which I do not want.

I may even want to go the way of the E-Honed Accel/Eddy Base, SLP/AS&M Runners & ported stock plenum to get that 534/461 TQ/HP so the TQ. has a fighting chance to stick around with a Centri. Motor. The Nitrous will help that as well.

Thanks for the info that the SR will not give clearance issues with the ATI System. That's all I needed. Will post pics when closer to build...
Old 10-11-2013, 01:04 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Stock fuel rails will work just fine, of course with larger injectors. The only thing tight on the superam is to the wiper cover. And of course do the usual install mods on it. Slot the ends of the small outer bolts etc.
Staying with the SR makes a torque monster! You won't be disappointed there. I'm currently in the process of swapping from the old ball drive paxton to a p600b-I couldn't go to the D1 because I have to keep a blower with EO numbers for smog on it.
Curious how your planning to tune it? I've been using the 8D with an FMU, but working on the ebl p4 flash with a 2 bar map now.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 AM
Godspeed Oakland
Advanced

Greg is doing the ECU, Alt bracket, supplying my injectors & fuel pump and I will fine tune it with the Ostrich. I also have a Dynamometer at my shop. I will have two base tunes and two sets of pulleys. One will be a 91 street 12psi tune, which is how it is coming from ATI, and the other a 20psi tune for when I use Torco. The 2 Bar Map is good for 29psi. I am also gonna use Greg's center instrument cluster gauges that show boost pressure, psi of boost and one that tells when the Alcohol/H2O Cooling is engaged (working and tank not empty).
Old 10-11-2013, 11:54 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

So which ecu/bin/speed density? The 8D doesn't have boost tables-would have to use an FMU.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:29 AM
Godspeed Oakland
Advanced

Greg has a system with the Moates equipment that allows him to tune my ECM, for my application, as closely as possible; and his tuning kit comes with a way for me to fine tune after data-logging runs via the O2 sensors, boost, rpm, T/P and AFR. He says no FMU is required or recommended with his set-up. I have never used his system before, but he sold me on his experience, as well as talking to a former customer of his I know - that his C4 Corvette blower engine tuning system is the best way to go, and the most affordable. Plus, I get to keep all my stock wiring and computers, so I'll never have any hassles with wonky dash lights, switches, gauges or anything of the kind - like all stand alone systems that take over your wiring/computers will invariably do. Just bolt-on the blower, drop in his tuned ECM and Silk. No FMU's, no stand-alone's to learn/teach... He states that he's been Supercharging C4's longer than anyone with optimum results; and that all of his experience has led to devising his current system with the latest technology. Just make sure you have the right sized injectors & fuel pump for your application. After that, nothing can be better than just bolting on the D-1 kit and burning rubber. I will see how it works and let you know how it all works.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:08 AM
Godspeed Oakland
Advanced

You can just keep the CARB sticker you already have in the engine bay and upgrade the head unit. There is no way the smog guys can tell. They see the exempt sticker and it's all good. Greg's tunes, even with the big blower, still passes smog with flying colors, so there is no reason not to go with the D-1 and 12psi on pump gas (the limit with his tuning on a stock motor using 91 octane). Then you may want to go with the 8 plus 6 ribbed pulleys to avoid belt slip at that boost level. Your car will then smoke a new Z07 or factory supercharged Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To ProCharged '90 w/ Super Ram, any clearance issues?

Quick Reply: ProCharged '90 w/ Super Ram, any clearance issues?