C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tank to Engine Fuel Line

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:33 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Default Tank to Engine Fuel Line

I'm assuming C4's have 3/8 inch fuel lines. With a rear mounted electric pump, is this diameter big enough to flow gasoline to a ~600 hp engine?

I'm installing a 502 cubic engine (Keith Black) in my 70 C3. The stock fuel lines are 3/8 so is this adequate to flow gasoline to the engine. I'm not too impressed that the pre-bent SS 3/8 fuel lines have some bends in them that look restrictive. I though this'd be a good forum for a group that has experience with 3/8 fuel line feeding a thirst engine. Fuel pump recommendation?

Thanks

BTW, I have an A&A centrifugal blower on my 08. The 08 is completely stock except for the blower...ops, not completely stock...bigger injectors and a boosted electric fuel pump.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 09-24-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:29 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi You All !
I've done this post so many times before ! Not sure what a search would bring up. Will do the math again if need be but it becomes tedious ! LOL
How much HP a given line size can support with sufficient pump head is easy to calculate. A 3/8" line can easily support a 1000 HP given today's modern fuel pumps. At 100 GPH (more than enough for 1000 HP) the pressure drop from tank to engine rail probably less than 5 psig but even if 10 psig so what ?
Even less complicated is to put an electronic fuel pressure gage at the end of your fuel rail. Autometer set-ups are around $250 and very accurate. As long as the fuel pressure is at what it should be (eg. 45 pounds start + 15 pounds of boost = 60 psig) you are good to go. There are so many "Wive's Tales" on fuel line size I get confused ! Most go back to the carb days when a 1 pound drop in fuel pressure could kill you !!!!!!
All questions will be answered if you really want to learn !!!!! BR = greg
Old 09-25-2013, 01:18 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Thanks. I did do a search but apparently didn't try hard enough. When I finally get this car going, I'll try to instrument for fuel pressure at the engine. (Still haven't decided on carbs or FI). The Keith Black BB engine casting was designed to work with a supercharger. I won't even dare to think about that until I'm getting close to completion.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:39 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I apologize for being a grouch ! So many years pass so rapidly at my age that I lose track. Maybe it's been years since I posted in detail !!! And I have no idea how far back the history goes.
Anyhow - both my websites (BlowerWorks.net and dot biz) have under the downloads a "Fuel Line Sizing" blurp.
BR - greg

Get notified of new replies

To Tank to Engine Fuel Line

Quick Reply: Tank to Engine Fuel Line