C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vortech YSI or Procharger F1?

Old 07-12-2013, 12:25 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by djxib
Guys - I fixed the link:

http://flic.kr/ps/2vi7Xe

In fact, I cant get anyone's link to work, so if you right-click the link(s) and open in new window it will work.
OK I see see the pic, I like the piping.

Gregg verified his modifed bracket will allow the YSI to turn around the other way so that I would have a straighter shot with intercooler piping.

If your YSI was turned around the other way do you think you would have had clearance issues with radiator or a-arm?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were shopping for a fuel pump now I would go with the Holley dual pump, best of both worlds and the high flow pump also does 140ghp... good for 1300chp.. easily handle 1000rwhp and it is made by Holley a quality manufacturer.

Chris
Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lcvette
my A1000 fell short at 800rwhp, had to get a bigger pump, now I run a 140gph fuelab.
Chris-

this is with the stock fuel lines (hard lines)? Do you use the stock in-tank fuel sending unit? What injectors are you using? Finally, did you use the stock (96') computer to tune it?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:37 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

This is with the stock fuel lines (hard lines)?
No...wouldn't risk it just to see if it could support that power level.. too much money invested to chance it. I was using high flow filters from aeromotive on a sumped system with -10 an feed hose.

Do you use the stock in-tank fuel sending unit?
Yes, the intank sending unit is still utilized, it is the only thing remaining in the tank from the factory sending unit.

What injectors are you using?
160 lb/hr Low Z injectors

Finally, did you use the stock (96') computer to tune it?
Absolutely not, stock pcm would not handle anything of this magnitude, no way I would even try it, too much money in motor turbo setup etc to risk on bandaiding engine control. I use a full stand alone with full wideband feed back, DFI Gen 7. PCM on blower cars is easier as boost is predictable, turbo cars see boost in various places depending on gear selection and load conditions, no way to have numbers in those areas on a 1 bar map configuration.

With blower cars, you are simply using the PE table vs RPM to add fuel over the final 100KPa map data set,, but if you need to fuel for 20psi at 3k rpm in one gear and 16psi in another gear at 3k rpm..... you can't, you only have one entry you can use there because there is no MAP pressure differentiation for that spot. turbo cars benefit greatly from upgraded engine management systems. the LS stuff has 2 bar updates now which makes them easier.. but the old flash PCM's are just too crude and also not conducive to tuning for a turbo as the flashes take forever, you would pay an arm and a leg trying to dial in a turbo car on a shops dyno with a tuner working on it.

Last edited by lcvette; 07-12-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:13 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Absolutely not, stock pcm would not handle anything of this magnitude, no way I would even try it, too much money in motor turbo setup etc to risk on bandaiding engine control. I use a full stand alone with full wideband feed back, DFI Gen 7. PCM on blower cars is easier as boost is predictable, turbo cars see boost in various places depending on gear selection and load conditions, no way to have numbers in those areas on a 1 bar map configuration.

With blower cars, you are simply using the PE table vs RPM to add fuel over the final 100KPa map data set,, but if you need to fuel for 20psi at 3k rpm in one gear and 16psi in another gear at 3k rpm..... you can't, you only have one entry you can use there because there is no MAP pressure differentiation for that spot. turbo cars benefit greatly from upgraded engine management systems. the LS stuff has 2 bar updates now which makes them easier.. but the old flash PCM's are just too crude and also not conducive to tuning for a turbo as the flashes take forever, you would pay an arm and a leg trying to dial in a turbo car on a shops dyno with a tuner working on it.
This is good info, I was aware of what you are saying above for blower cars, which is why I am comfortable doing the tuning myself, and I want to keep the stock computer.

Had never heard that about turbo, good to know!

Yet another reason for me to probably stick with blower, not just the mechanicals are simpler but also the tuning.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:52 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

blower is easier and more affordable all day every day. turbo is infinitely adjustable and is much more efficient. for your goals I would lean towards the blower. it will get you there much cheaper and with less headaches.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:06 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

blower is easier and more affordable all day every day. turbo is infinitely adjustable and is much more efficient. for your goals I would lean towards the blower. it will get you there much cheaper and with less headaches.
These head units will support 800-1000rwhp (with supporting mods). So, they're an "easier" approach for your current plans (600-650rwhp), but they will support A LOT more.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:53 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
These head units will support 800-1000rwhp (with supporting mods). So, they're an "easier" approach for your current plans (600-650rwhp), but they will support A LOT more.

I was not bashing blowers if that is how you interpreted my comment, simply stating facts.. his concern was simplicity, tuning etc, at his goal, the factory computer is already flying above what the MAF can read and it's pegged, to go beyond that on a stock ECU is not very smart. so once you go past his goal the realm of simplicity leaves the building.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:34 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Guys ! Nice to see a thread that has attracted so much attention !

Couple of my comments:
1. Fueling is so easy today - we have so many great pumps to choose from. All you need is a good FP gage on your fuel rail (electronic you can even log) - if it rises you are good to go. If it falls you need more pump.
2. You'll always make more power with a turbo all else being equal and IcVette is the right guy to talk to !
3. I like MAF cars because so easy to tune etc. And the 1994/95 GM PCM for the Vette can be equipped with a 2 or 3 BAR MAP sensor to handle the spark curve. Also once we peg the stock MAF we can look at a LPE piece or simply go to a bigger housing and scale appropriately.
4. Without the A/C condenser I love the air to air inter-cooler !!!!!!!!!!
5. My CW bracket only fits the YSi - probably could edit for the F1.
6. Going CWW I have a bracket (modified Vortech) for the YSi and my ProCharger bracket will take a F1. However not sure of blower volute clearances to chassis. I'm tending to favor the ProCharger because of the better step-up ratio but the YSi can be made to work too !
Just my 2 cents ! greg
Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

been a while since I had done any reading, I didn't realize they finally finished perfecting the 2 bar maps,I know the research on it was basically just cutting the voltage sweep of 0-5v in half and using the second half for 105kpa to 210kpa. so essentially you are cutting your tuning resolution in half. a 3 bar would cut it in thirds. this normally wouldn't be a problem if you can scale the axis too suit where you want resolution, such as part throttle normal driving conditions. but i don't think it works that way since the factory pcm tables cannot be manipulated in that fashion. I remember doing a ton of research on this before plunging into a $3k stand alone at the time.

and to show how out of touch I am.... I didn't realize changing the MAF was feasible, last I was aware people were having issues with the granatelli units... lol...

I think Greg has you covered on the blower front, his 8 rib setup is still running strong in our 95 vette making 12 pounds with no slip whatsoever, what a beautiful setup it is, even bought a little room for the filter housing.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:48 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

I was not bashing blowers if that is how you interpreted my comment, simply stating facts.. his concern was simplicity, tuning etc, at his goal, the factory computer is already flying above what the MAF can read and it's pegged, to go beyond that on a stock ECU is not very smart. so once you go past his goal the realm of simplicity leaves the building.
No, I didn't interpret it that way, just saying his head-unit of choice "does" have room for him to grow. Besides, I'd love a turbo myself, so I'm not delusional about efficiency or power delivery of both.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:24 PM
djxib
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm currently finalizing a 2Bar map tune on my 92. Lost resolution doesn't seem to affect driveability. Having control of part boost situations really helps too.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:29 PM
djxib
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DVNCI
OK I see see the pic, I like the piping.

Gregg verified his modifed bracket will allow the YSI to turn around the other way so that I would have a straighter shot with intercooler piping.

If your YSI was turned around the other way do you think you would have had clearance issues with radiator or a-arm?
Good question. A-arm probably ok... likely have routing/clearance issues due to the larger intake diameter of the YSi. However, I'd be willing to give it a try!
Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone, what a great thread, chocked full of good info!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:11 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DVNCI
So it should be working well for you now correct?

Aeromotive quotes:

Fuel Injected Engines:
up to 1300 HP – naturally aspirated
up to 1000 HP – forced air induction

Those numbers are at the crank, so if you are talking 800rwhp with forced air then you were right at what they say is the limit.

The A1000 should be all I will ever need, unless I just get greedy (which is of course very possible . . . )
Another note with the a1000's is if you have an older one, it will not support as much power as the newer ones.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Another note with the a1000's is if you have an older one, it will not support as much power as the newer ones.
You will have to define "older one", it's been in there for several years now.

Pretty sure those figures I quoted are the same as when I installed the pump, those figures are one of the reasons I chose it.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Probably about 3 years ago they redid their line. The newer a1000's flow as well as the old eliminators. The older a1000's typically would start to run out of steam about 650 rwhp. The eliminators were good above 800. I think the older ones flowed about 500lbs an hour. Aero motive said that the pumps were good for 1000 hp but for forced induction the reality was that they were good for much less.

Get notified of new replies

To Vortech YSI or Procharger F1?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 PM
2bar-c4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello DVNCI ( Rukwkr)

I remember your build and wondered what ever happened, good to see your back.

I had made a large custom front mount intercooler for my 90 single turbo car. The car itself had an engine fire, but I still have the intercooler. it mounts on top of the hood hinge bolts. it does require custom shrouding to be made from the intercooler to the radiator. I also had to trim the lower right curb protection bar. I will see if I can get a pic over to you this weekend.

Ron
Old 07-18-2013, 01:04 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2bar-c4
Hello DVNCI ( Rukwkr)

I remember your build and wondered what ever happened, good to see your back.

I had made a large custom front mount intercooler for my 90 single turbo car. The car itself had an engine fire, but I still have the intercooler. it mounts on top of the hood hinge bolts. it does require custom shrouding to be made from the intercooler to the radiator. I also had to trim the lower right curb protection bar. I will see if I can get a pic over to you this weekend.

Ron
I'll try to post some pics of the car in the next few days. It's been a long haul but it turned out pretty sweet.

Any pics you have would be great, definitely looking for any ideas on front mount intercoolers folks have done.

Last edited by DVNCI; 07-18-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Teme_76
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my current setup... I just got it running. Need to go dyno with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vortech YSI or Procharger F1?