C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clutch Compatibility Between 1993 and 1994 ZF6

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Clutch Compatibility Between 1993 and 1994 ZF6

Hi guys,

I have a deal pending on a used low mile clutch from a 1993 that I'd be looking to use in my 1994.

I believe the 1993 is a black tag ZF - correct me if I am wrong. My 1994 is a blue tag ZF. I know that one of the differences between the black and the blue is that the blue uses a slightly smaller diameter release bearing. My question is, if I buy this black tag clutch will a blue tag release bearing work correctly with the black tag clutch hardware or will there be some fitment issue?

I guess to put it in other words, are the clutch disc and pressure plate the same for both blue and black tags and the only difference being the release bearing? As long as I use the correct release bearing for the transmission will the clutch hardware be none the wiser?

As always, your replies are appreciated.
John
Old 07-21-2010, 08:51 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you compared part numbers?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

I did make an attempt to compare part numbers.
The autozone/advance sites list full clutch kits and those do have different part numbers but the difference could be just the different release bearings.

GMpartsdirect.com didnt provide part numbers but showed the years:
clutch disc: 92-95
pressure plate: 94-95
So, according to GMpartsdirect.com the pressure plate is 94-95 specific. However, when I looked it up for 1993 it couldn't find anything for the pressure plate so I question whether or not their information is accurate.

So I'm still stuck looking for confirmation on whether I can use a black tag clutch with a blue tag release bearing.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-21-2010, 10:54 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My problem is that I wouldn't trust that someone on a car site would know something this specific and be accurate either.

I know this is the day of the internet, but sometimes it's a good idea to go to a knowledgeable parts counter guy face to face.

You seem to be good on the disc. Further research seems to be indicated on the pressure plate. I can see why the plate/bearing would be different. IIRC the output shaft is bigger on the black tag.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Yup I believe that is correct - the input shaft on the blacktag is larger thus requiring a large diameter release bearing. Still trying to find out if I can simply use a blue tag release bearing with the black tag pressure plate and disc.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgtp
Yup I believe that is correct - the input shaft on the blacktag is larger thus requiring a large diameter release bearing. Still trying to find out if I can simply use a blue tag release bearing with the black tag pressure plate and disc.
Yes only difference is the Throwout bearing. There was a member here who did just that when he swapped a motor and clutch from a 93 to a 94

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Compatibility Between 1993 and 1994 ZF6

Quick Reply: Clutch Compatibility Between 1993 and 1994 ZF6