C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Some in car footage of the turbovette

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:12 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Some in car footage of the turbovette

Hey guys I got a little in car footage of the 78mm vette, it is kind of shaky as i was trying keep the car inline pay attention to the revs and keep the camera aimed..lol quite a feat to say the very least, I had it strapped to the steering wheel with my thumb to support it so please disregard all the rattling noises.!

Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytnBEPHvTj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhFLsrPezy8
Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

sorry here is the log of the No Lift To Shift on a 3-4 shift.. notice in third gear the revs round over.. and the boost drops then comes back up.. can ya say wheel spin..lol unloaded the motor briefly and boost goes down.. on this run it was insane.. I see here it actually almost hit 23psi in 4th gear.. car is absolutely insane to drive!

Chris

Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

man, 22 psi is unreal. How much power is that thing making approximately?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:07 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

we'll see maybe over the weekend if the dyno has some spare time for me to strap it down.. but it sure does feel like a ton..lol my guess is somewhere in the mid 700's with the timing as conservative as I have it. I will put some straight 118 in it and push the turbo to see what she has in her and add some timing for the glory run. I would like to see something in 800rwhp range which would make me very happy out of a 355 with such a baby cam and the completely pleasant driveability.

Chris
Old 11-26-2008, 12:10 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

so is the speedo jumping up mean that you're spinning, accellerating like crazy, or both?

That's inspiring. I need to finish my damn cog drive!!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:16 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

in third gear she is spinning you can hear it rev then catch.. very unnerving trying to keep the rear tires following the fronts..lol you can also see it in the log file.. but yes even though it is spinning the car flat moving out with the tires rollin over. the end result was a true 114mph from a gentle 3rd gear roll trying to get some form of traction on spool up. it is a ball of fun to drive I am so pleased with the result. I want to borrow Neat's tires and take him for a ride on straight 118 octane with some added timing and some more boost.. I know he is humdrumming about turboing his corvette... I gotta ask him how ready he is before the ride because I know that's all he'll be able to think about afterwards..lol

Get that Cogged setup finished.. I am trying like mad to breath sopme life into this forum again.. it seems to be dying a slow death.. loosing bretheran to the later model vettes.. time to put a nasty LTx out there and gain back some of the glory from the all mighty LSx powered vultures.

Chris
Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Let's rock and roll!

My belts should be in and I'm just waiting on ati.

I just watched it for about the 10th time and this thing is awesome. You need to get some mt drag radials on there and see how this thing really flies.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:36 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 11-27-2008, 04:56 PM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah man, we need to work out a time for me to get hooked up with the passenger seat in that thing and you hooked up with a real set of tires. Gimmie a ring when you get some free time and we'll work it out.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:01 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

I wish I could get a ride in this thing! Just to see what "crazy" power feels like. We're all still waiting to see the dyno numbers.

If the numbers are "convincing", than I'm going to ditch the blower, and look into your combo (with a 383).
Old 11-27-2008, 09:42 PM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It will probably make as much power, and be more reliable if you go 355. Turbo selection and packaging is also easier for the 355.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:44 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Neat,

Man I am off all weekend long! will be trying to get some tuning done tomorrow on it and starp it down saturday if I can get a spot in the local dyno day for domestic cars.. have any plans? gimme a ring.. just got in from Thanksgiving dinner at the folks house and will be up until about 1:00am here!

mnstrlt1,

Keep in mind I have a heads cam 355 1995 corvette with a blower on it and it is tuned in to 12 psi making 512rwhp/496rwtq. it feels ridiculously slower then my 96 turbo car.. I have very good seat of the pants feel from the 6 corvettes we have at various levels of power. I can tell you that the 95 on 12psi will barely haze the 315 nitto drag radials in 2nd gear from a roll.... the 96 turbo car well..lets just say I do about 2-3 3rd gear 60mph tire warming starts before I can get the car to bite decently enough to stay in it and shift 4th. and recently with the new E85 and more aggressive timing.. 4th gear is getting kind of suspect on traction without heating the tires a time or two. this is with a full tank of gas, and two adults in the car weighing about ~450lbs combined. with just me in the car it is useless in 3rd gear. as seen in the video where I had to heat the tires up (short video) the longer one was taken after that with the meats heated and a bit stickier..

Chris
Old 11-28-2008, 04:48 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Chris,

1) Thanks for the input. that sounds pretty impressive. What blower are you using for the 95'? Actually, what's the head and cam combo? You have 6 vette's!?!?!?! lol... cool!

2) Just to clarify, are you actually going to be making a kit? I do recall you mentioning the idea of fabricating some turbo kits for these cars? At the least, would you be able to "price out" some headers, merge pipe, flange, and downpipe (essentially a hot-side only type kit)

3) I believe a stand alone is going to be pretty much "mandatory" for this type of setup? You think a fuel cell with just the Fuelab pomp would be better for a dedicated build?

4) Do you feel the 78mm would be too small (small being a relative term) for a 383 combo? I know neat mentioned a 355 "would be more reliable" for a turbo application, what are your thoughts?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:19 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

the blower car is a 355 with 9.5scr, cam is a lingenfelter 219/219 .560 .560 114lsa, ported lt1 heads and intake manifold, 58mm TB, ATI interooled P1SC blower with dedicated 8 rib blower drive system, long tube headers, 3" dual exhaust w/X-Pipe (SLP Loud mouth), 42lb injectors, walbro intank and walbro kicker inline pump, tunercats tuned by me.

for a boost build using an LT1 Block, the 355 is going to be the stronger of the two shortblocks due to the piston pin location being further away from the crown of the piston and having a beefier ring pack spacing and more material between the top ring and piston top. this is the weakest point which is generally the fail point with detonation.

there will only be minimal difference in power output between the two. boost is an equalizer.. a 355 also has a lighter rotating assembly and this paired with the shorter stroke enables the motor to be spun higher which will give you a broader more useable power band with a turbocharger. torque IS NOT an issue with alot of boost and the 355 may be much easier to get to hook then a 383 which would likely spool a 78mm very quickly. these aren't import motors that are off boost torqueless.. the 355 even with lowered compression still has polenty of useable off boost torque and if you check the newest graph in my other thread regarding E85, you will see I have peek boost (20psi) by 3500 RPM.. it starts making boost around 2600 RPM so you aren't gonna get caught with your pants down with this combination. it spools VERY fast considering the turbo size!

the 78mm is a good turbo for either one depending on your power level goal. for an all out drag car an 88mm would be more ideal for either engine but I wouldn't put that turbo on a dual purpose street track car. the 78 hits hard and holds power very well into the RPM range.

ther 88mm I would use in a drag car with an automatic tranny and a high stall converter.

as for building kits, yes I am up for it. afterall I have built a few now and have learned my way in and out of the engine bay.

just a hot parts is hard because I need the wastegate flanges and such.. also the cold side plumbing is tough to route without welding so it is a better idea to get it all then think you can do the rest and not be able to.. again I stress it is tight in the engine bay.. it takes some fab skills and a welder to get it to work.

PM me further for info on this matter!

Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Some in car footage of the turbovette

Quick Reply: Some in car footage of the turbovette