C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Turbo Build Progress....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:16 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Turbo Build Progress....

Well Guys,

I am at it hard again on the build up. the new motor is in the car and the first primaries have just been cut and tacked. After thinking long and hard about the twin setup on this car and it is possible to do, I decided to go back with my 76mm single setup for a few reasons. the costs for the twin turbos on this car were very expensive and that coupled with several other factors such as the coolant lines and AN fittings to do it correctly and the high end scavenge pump, the cost of all the parts and the cost of the labor would put this kit well out of reach for most LTx C4 owners probably somewhere around $11-12K to do it the way I feel it should be done. the room is there for the 35R's but it will require some very well thought out plans, something I am completely willing and capable fo doing, just don't want to lay that much money out on this car when the single is easily and more cost effec tively rebuilt.

That being said, I already had everything for the single setup so out of pocket costs to redo that system for me is virtually nill in addition to what I have int he garage partswise.

soo.. I will be updating over the next few days on the build, with lots of time on my hands it shouldn't take too long, I expect to have the project complete either in the next two weeks or if not by then it will be at least a month due to a move for me to a new house at the end of this month.

check in for progress reports!

Chris
Old 09-17-2008, 10:35 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

ok.. turbo is hung and the tough manifold is almost finished! will be taking some pictures tomorrow evening and with some luck should have the merge collectors in by the end of the week and will be able to finish the drivers side manifold and crossover as well as the wastegate and exhaust. the goal is to have the car on the road by the end of next week before the move!

Chris
Old 09-18-2008, 06:27 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

with the big v8 a single will spool up just fine!

keep us posted, very excited to see you do this project
Old 09-21-2008, 01:12 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

What are the main differences between this setup and the old one? You seemed to have that one nailed down pretty well.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:04 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

difference is this go around I stepped up from a 74mm turbo to a 76mm turbo, the motor is built to the hilt this time with stage 3 220cc ported cylinder heads, and Edelbrock ported LT4 manifold, a nice sized cam with alot of lift and good duration, a little better designed manifold setup, larger downpipe.

Goals as of know are to hit 700rwhp on pump gas. from previous combinations on heads cam intake etc.. this motor should be right around 375-400rwhp Naturally aspirated. so this time I pulled out all the stops and went for a good compromise between full tilt boogie and streetable. looking for driveability similar to that of a Hotcam, ported heads package which is VERY mild in my opinion and will have a nice baby lope at idle with plenty of off idle off boost torque, and then when you stab it, the 09 ZR1's will not have a chance by a good sized margin.

with some luck the p[roject looks to be finished by the end of this following week, the only thing holding me back is waiting on a few key parts to arrive and then she is ready to fire up and break in.. dyno and track numbers will be about 2-3 weeks away!

CHris
Old 09-21-2008, 05:25 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Where are the photos!?!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Pictures will be up tomorrow I promise! got side tracked on the camera from staying focused on the build..lol not a bad thing but I will get them up for you guys to check out!

Chris
Old 09-21-2008, 10:46 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 09-22-2008, 11:46 AM
dhickey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you mind sharing some specs on the turbo you are going to use? How much boost are you planning to run?

Thanks,
Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by lcvette
Pictures will be up tomorrow I promise! got side tracked on the camera from staying focused on the build..lol not a bad thing but I will get them up for you guys to check out!

Chris
"Tomorrow" was yesterday.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

OK Guys, sorry for the delay in pictures, but like I said I have been on a roll from dawn till dusk knocking this out before the move.. the ZR1 project is next in line and will receive the same vigor that is going into this one!

enjoy!

Chris

Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I don't have AC...

Looking good!

You didn't drive it at all with the modified Edelbrock did you?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:44 AM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks great!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
Hmmm, I don't have AC...
If I remember right, his car still has the AC. There is an electric pump hiding somewhere, and the condenser was moved to the spare tire location with some custom length lines.

Good job Chris, keep it going!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Bowtie8
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=lcvette;1567232820]OK Guys, sorry for the delay in pictures, but like I said I have been on a roll from dawn till dusk knocking this out before the move.. the ZR1 project is next in line and will receive the same vigor that is going into this one!

enjoy!

Chris

Who did the headers and tubing for you?
Looks clean
Nice job

John
Old 09-25-2008, 08:22 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

I fabricate EVERYTHING on these kits..lol takes a good bit of time but in the long run it is done the way I like to do things and not half assed by some random welder doing it hourly or some shop charging 100/hr or something ridiculous.

Chris
Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Bowtie8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lcvette
I fabricate EVERYTHING on these kits..lol takes a good bit of time but in the long run it is done the way I like to do things and not half assed by some random welder doing it hourly or some shop charging 100/hr or something ridiculous.

Chris
Interesting
So you obviously have the down pipe and air-air cooler figured out.
What is the largest turbo you have ran?
Also what flange? T4.

I was considering a single settup in the same spot with cast iron manafolds for the heat benefit, but they look like crap.

I am pursuing more power into my C4 and hopeing to keep the 434in at least near term. The Ford 9" and 4L80E are both hogs and I want to try and get into low 9's, possible crack an 8.

When can we talk?

John

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo Build Progress....

Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Chris Very cool ! thanks for sharing the pics. Out of curiousity are the other side primaries connected to the turbo as well or is it just the 1 side that feeds it? Headers look very nice! remind me of my old bike headers !
Old 09-26-2008, 12:32 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bowtie8
Interesting
So you obviously have the down pipe and air-air cooler figured out.
What is the largest turbo you have ran?
Also what flange? T4.

I was considering a single settup in the same spot with cast iron manafolds for the heat benefit, but they look like crap.

I am pursuing more power into my C4 and hopeing to keep the 434in at least near term. The Ford 9" and 4L80E are both hogs and I want to try and get into low 9's, possible crack an 8.

When can we talk?

John

John,
send me a PM and we can discuss it further.. as for the intercooler, it is already in the car in those pictures, along with the charge piping, I will have some pictures late next week of the entire project finished, I am fighting the clock to have her wrapped up tomorrow night so I can drive it to the new house, much bigger garage and more room to work..

Pryderei,
Both banks feed the turbo, there is a crossover from the drivers side bank that connects to the passenger side manifold before entering the turbo... this is really the only way to do it correctly!

just wrapped up for the evening, tomorrow is finish the downpipe, connect the rest of the charge piping and connect the exhaust to the downpipe and wastegate.. then time to fire it up..

then saturday and Sunday I have to move ugggghhh!!! but by midweek next week I should have some time to start tuning the new combination in.. for now it is set at spring pressure which is 14psi but I have another secondary 7pound spring for the wastegate for once the rings seat and after the first oil change to turn up the wick on C16 race gas and put her on the dyno... may see what she does on pump gas first for ****s and giggles.. I would expect somewhere in the 650-700rwhp range from my calcs with a good safe tune! guess the only way to find out is to strap her down and give it a go!

Chris
Old 09-26-2008, 01:50 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

That is totally wild. Does having the crossover reduce ground clearance at all? from the turbo does it then go out and split into the usual dual system tranny back? Wondering how much of my B&B system I would have to modify.

Quick Reply: Turbo Build Progress....