Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Fraud Caution

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:15 PM
cjriojas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UNSC-S117
During my vett search I came across several adds with pictures from forums like this one and it just irked me that I couldn’t post something calling this out.r. If you can’t go in person get a third party, otherwise you accept the risk.
Roger that masterchief jp man
Old 04-08-2010, 07:37 PM
claudette
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all.

Well i have just joined this forum from DOWN UNDER.

Just finalised a deal for a 71 vette. In the meantime in the last 6 weeks of looking I have some real stories to tell about the scammers out there trying to sell me their vettes.

In 6 weeks- I located approx 7 bogus ads, its been very frustrating.

But a word of advice to all those trying to purchase a vehicle if your located outside the USA.
1. RING THE SELLER- TALK TO THEM
2. GIVE THE SELLER REFERRAL CONTACT DETAILS OF PEOPLE IN THE USA -WHOM THEY CAN RING AND VERIFY YOUR CREDENTIALS.
3.RESEARCH WHO YOU ARE DEALING WITH- I DID SOME DUE DILIGENCE INVESTIGATIONS ON THE SELLER AND EVERYTHING MATCHED.
4.GET THE SELLER TO SEND YOU NEW PICTURES OF THE CAR YOU ARE BUYING, IE ASK THEM TO TAKE A PHOTO WITH THEM SITTING IN THE CAR AND WITH THE CURRENT LOCAL PAPER HELD UP NEXT TO THEM- IF THEY ARE FOR REAL THEY WILL DO IT.
5.SET UP AN INTERNATIONAL FOREIGN EXCHANGE ACCOUNT- AMEX
6. WIRE THEM THE FUNDS EITHER BY WIRE OR A CASHIERS CHEQUE.
7.THE WHOLE PROCESS IS ABOUT ELIMINATING RISK FOR BOTH THE BUYER AND SELLER.

HOWEVER, PRIOR TO THE ABOVE, I DID ACTUALLY SEND ANOTHER DUDE A DEPOSIT FOR A DIFFERENT VEHICLE. THIS DUDE WAS LIGIT! THE CAR WAS LEGIT! EXCEPT THE CAR WAS A LEMON! THIS GUY HAS BEEN OPERATING FOR YEARS FLEECING HONEST PEOPLE OF THEIR DEPOSITS- AFTER RECEIVING THE DEPOSIT HE THEN PAINTS A DIFFERENT PICTURE OF THE CAR. IT WAS MY FAULT. I SHOULDNT OF GIVEN HIM THE DEPOSIT UNTIL HE ANSWERED MY REQUESTS FOR MORE PICS, TITLE DETAILS, HSTORY, ETC,ETC,
HE NEVER ONCE ANSWERED MY 12 EMAILS REQUESTING FURTHER INFORMATION-HE WAS WAITING FOR ME TO WIRE THE REST OF THE FUNDS.
ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT ITS DEALERS LIKE HIM- THAT ARE CREATING PROBLEMS FOR THE HONEST PEOPLE.
SO I HAVE GIVEN THIS PERSON 2 DAYS TO FULLY RETURN MY DEPOSIT.
IF NOT- WELL THEN I WILL REVEAL HIM TO ALL.
I WILL STILL REVEAL HIM , EVEN IF HE GIVES ME MY MONEY BACK. ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY ANYMORE- ITS ABOUT WEEDING OUT THE SCUM SO AS NO ONE ELSE CAN BE SUCKED IN BY PEOPLE LIKE HIM.

TO BE CONTINUED
STAY TUNED
The following users liked this post:
joeking (01-06-2017)
Old 04-08-2010, 07:43 PM
claudette
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buyer and seller beware

Hello all.

Well i have just joined this forum from DOWN UNDER.

Just finalised a deal for a 71 vette. In the meantime in the last 6 weeks of looking I have some real stories to tell about the scammers out there trying to sell me their vettes.

In 6 weeks- I located approx 7 bogus ads, its been very frustrating.

But a word of advice to all those trying to purchase a vehicle if your located outside the USA.
1. RING THE SELLER- TALK TO THEM
2. GIVE THE SELLER REFERRAL CONTACT DETAILS OF PEOPLE IN THE USA -WHOM THEY CAN RING AND VERIFY YOUR CREDENTIALS.
3.RESEARCH WHO YOU ARE DEALING WITH- I DID SOME DUE DILIGENCE INVESTIGATIONS ON THE SELLER AND EVERYTHING MATCHED.
4.GET THE SELLER TO SEND YOU NEW PICTURES OF THE CAR YOU ARE BUYING, IE ASK THEM TO TAKE A PHOTO WITH THEM SITTING IN THE CAR AND WITH THE CURRENT LOCAL PAPER HELD UP NEXT TO THEM- IF THEY ARE FOR REAL THEY WILL DO IT.
5.SET UP AN INTERNATIONAL FOREIGN EXCHANGE ACCOUNT- AMEX
6. WIRE THEM THE FUNDS EITHER BY WIRE OR A CASHIERS CHEQUE.
7.THE WHOLE PROCESS IS ABOUT ELIMINATING RISK FOR BOTH THE BUYER AND SELLER.

HOWEVER, PRIOR TO THE ABOVE, I DID ACTUALLY SEND ANOTHER DUDE A DEPOSIT FOR A DIFFERENT VEHICLE. THIS DUDE WAS LIGIT! THE CAR WAS LEGIT! EXCEPT THE CAR WAS A LEMON! THIS GUY HAS BEEN OPERATING FOR YEARS FLEECING HONEST PEOPLE OF THEIR DEPOSITS- AFTER RECEIVING THE DEPOSIT HE THEN PAINTS A DIFFERENT PICTURE OF THE CAR. IT WAS MY FAULT. I SHOULDNT OF GIVEN HIM THE DEPOSIT UNTIL HE ANSWERED MY REQUESTS FOR MORE PICS, TITLE DETAILS, HSTORY, ETC,ETC,
HE NEVER ONCE ANSWERED MY 12 EMAILS REQUESTING FURTHER INFORMATION-HE WAS WAITING FOR ME TO WIRE THE REST OF THE FUNDS.
ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT ITS DEALERS LIKE HIM- THAT ARE CREATING PROBLEMS FOR THE HONEST PEOPLE.
SO I HAVE GIVEN THIS PERSON 2 DAYS TO FULLY RETURN MY DEPOSIT.
IF NOT- WELL THEN I WILL REVEAL HIM TO ALL.
I WILL STILL REVEAL HIM , EVEN IF HE GIVES ME MY MONEY BACK. ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY ANYMORE- ITS ABOUT WEEDING OUT THE SCUM SO AS NO ONE ELSE CAN BE SUCKED IN BY PEOPLE LIKE HIM.

TO BE CONTINUED
STAY TUNED
Old 06-18-2010, 11:38 AM
stingrays_r_us
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is www.24automove.com a legit third party?

Ive never done third party transaction, but this vette i'm looking the seller wants to use a third party

Any info would be appreciated thanks!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:53 AM
wingnut7t@yahoo.com
2nd Gear

Default re; third party transactions

I have never done a third party deal, is the person your talking to a broker? If he is then proceed with caution...
Old 07-29-2010, 12:19 AM
SWM
Intermediate

Default 1978 silver Fraud

I responded to an ad concerning a super clean 1979 silver Corvette for $3850.00. It looked perfect. After the first email, bells started going off so I decided to push the issue figuring it was a fraud. My Mom does not live near Reno-LOL. The ad has since been taken down. His first response is at the bottom. Buyer be aware.

Hello again ,
Look how the deal work :
- first you will make $2500 down payment with Yahoo
- after everything is in order , yahoo will contact me and instruct to arrange the shipping
- next day I will ship the car
- from the moment that you receive the car you have 5 days inspection period
- after inspection period end , if you decide to keep the car , you will pay the rest and you will contact yahoo and confirm that you will keep it and they will release me the money
- if you decide to decline the transaction , you will contact yahoo and they will return you all the money back and the car will be returned on my expense .

I know if you want to buy my car because I have others buyers ready to buy my car.
Thank you!

To: larry45659@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: 1979 Corvette
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:20:53 -0400

Larry, that is great news as my Mother lives in Carson City! We will be there in 2 days and can pick up the car saving the shipping costs! It just means we will be able to enjoy the car sooner rather than having to ship it!

I will have cash ready to pay for the Corvette. What is the address of the cars location and who do I contact/phone number while we are in Reno NV?

This will work out great!

To: @hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:19:18 -0700

Hello ,
The car is located in Reno , NV and the car will be shipped from here .
With the car you will receive the clear title already signed by me , bill of sale and all legal papers that you need t register the car on your name .
Thanks!

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:00:39 -0400

Larry, yes I will purchase your car!

Where will it be shipping from? Who has the title and documents and keys right now?

Thanks!

To: @hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:33:14 -0700

Hello ,
Now I am not in the town. I work as a dealer on a cruise ship. This the reason that I chose to sell my car over internet. I hope this situation won't affect your decision in buying the car.

I can send you the car with all documents, including owner's manual, clear title and a bill of sale on your name.

I have a friend who works for a delivery company, so there won't be a problem arranging for a truck to transport the car to your home address. You will have the car in front of your house in 2 to 3 days, depending on your exact location.
The car will arrive with all the papers and documents required for registration and the keys.

After you receive the car you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the car.
If, by any reason, the car is not as described, or if you find any problems with it, I will pay for the returning fees.
I have a contract with Yahoo Finance so this deal must go through them.
In order I need your name and shipping address so I can reserve the car for you and register the transaction with Yahoo Finance and they will contact you with all the instructions step by step on how to complete the transaction.
Best regards,

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:47:45 -0400

Hello Larry,

Wanted to follow up...where is the vehicle? Do you have a contact phone number?

Thanks

To:
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:43:08 -0700

Hello ,
Thanks for replying to my ad. The car is still available.My price is $ 3850 negociable.
I want you to know the car is in excellent condition with no rust or any kind of damage anywhere and it doesn't need any maintenance.
Title is clear and free of liens.
Where are you located?
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
Best Regards
Old 07-29-2010, 08:35 PM
John A F
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Deja Vu al over again. Here is email correspondence I had with a seller last year for a 1969 Vette listed on autotraderclassics.com.

-----Original Message-----
To: Nancyfgsell9@aol.com
Sent: Sat, Aug 29, 2009 2:44 pm
Subject: 1969 Corvette

If the 1969 Corvette listed on autotraderclassics.com is still available, I am interested. Where in New York are you located. I live about 60 miles north of NYC.

To: johnf73157@aol.com
Sent: Sun, Aug 30, 2009 6:53 pm
Subject: Re: 1969 Corvette

Hello ,
Thanks for replying to my ad.
I want you to know the car is in excellent condition with no rust or any kind of damage anywhere and it doesn't need any maintenance.
The odometer shows 124,000 miles . Title is clear and free of liens. This 1969 Chevrolet Corvette 350HP has an manual transmission and it's very easy to drive even for a beginner.
My price is $9800. I am now in a divorce and I am in desperate need of money to pay the mortgage on my house with this economical crisis.
That's my only reason for selling it otherwise I wouldn't do it.
Where are you located?
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask
Best Regards

-----Original Message-----
To: nancyfgsell9@aol.com
Sent: Sun, Aug 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Thank you for getting back to me. I live in Brewster, NY which is about 60 miles north of NYC. The ad listing indicates you are in New York too. Is that correct? If so I would like to set up a time I can inspect the car. Is it currently on the road?

Thank you
John

To: johnf73157@aol.com
Sent: Sun, Aug 30, 2009 6:53 pm

Hello again,

The car is located in Reno, NV sealed and ready for the shipping.

Shipping will be done via DAS and it will take no more then 2-3 days top

(depending on your exact location).

I have a contract with Yahoo Finance so this deal must go through them.

I'm very busy with my job and I'm left out of the town so I can't meet

in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my car over

the internet. According to Yahoo Finance you have 5 days from the time

you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or

not.

Here is how it will work:

1.First of all I will need the following details from you:

- Full Name

- Full Shipping Address

- Working Phone#

2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to

Yahoo Finance .

3. After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices.

The invoice will send you the details on how to make a refundable

payment.

4. You will send the payment to Yahoo Finance . They will hold in trust

the funds and advise me to ship to your address.

5. Yahoo Finance will contact me and I will ship the car to you. After

you receive the car you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever

you need to the car. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment

details from Yahoo Finance so that I can pick up the money.

6. If you will decide that you will not buy the car, =2 0 Yahoo Finance

will refund the money and I will have the shipping company come pick up

my car. If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the

necessary info so that we can proceed.

I look forward to hear from you.

Thank you,

I posted this on the forum asking for advice as I had never bought of sold anything on the internet before. The verdict was unanimous: IT'S A SCAM. I never replied after that, and she never emailed back asking what happened to me. Thank God for this forum.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:02 AM
DUCK69
Intermediate

Default Re: Possible Fraud Caution

Definitely keep an eye out for these type emails. Last year, my wife received an email from Nigeria regarding some stuff we had listed on ebay. There was a virus embedded in one of them from emailing directly which gave him access to all online activity from her past, IE her online bill pay history. This guy tried to buy deep sea diving watches, opened "**** sites" and tons of other charges in one day, $2700.00 worth of damage overnight. We contacted the local PD, no luck. We then contacted the FBI, no luck. Luckily our bank fraud department refunded the loss and we had to change our bank accounts and credit cards, a real PITA. So, be very weary about who you deal with.

James
Old 10-19-2010, 09:37 AM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

When ever I get one of those, I respond with, " Hello, I am with the F.B.I cyber crime division, and I am investigating ___________, they never call back!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I just ran across a similar scan. This was for a 71 Orange LT1. This is the response I got to his ad. The ad looked legit, but the price was unusually low. The MO seems to be that the car is never located where it can be looked at and the seller always asks the buyer where he is located.

It has 67,768 original miles
This is an original car restored with matching numbers, it was a frame-off restoration so there is no rust at all,
the front brakes need to be replaced. here is a set of exterior pictures attached !

I know it's been advertised in few areas but the car is in Saint Peters, MO, 30 miles west of Saint Louis.

The reason of sale is that we are trying to save our vintage furniture restoring and manufacturing business from foreclosure by
liquidating some assets and we need the money fast,we also have a boat for sale and some wood crafting machinery.

We had 2 buyers : one didn't show up and the other called saying he lost the money, so my wife convinced me to try sell it on-line. If I don't sell it on-line in about 8 days you can come pick it up yourself.So if you want to buy it and have the funds available, I could ship it to you or you could pick it up yourself and deal trough Google Checkout (the one she signed us up for).

In order to get this started I would need your full SHIPPING ADDRESS,PHONE NUMBER AND NAME.You will buy under these therms :

- You deposit 50% of the price at Google Checkout and they will transfer the funds to me ONLY after you receive or pick-up and inspect the car ;

- You are given a 5 days as inspection period to decide if want to keep it.

It's $35 for 30-day tags from the DMV if you pick it up OR $115/300 miles for shipping and handling if you want it shipped.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:33 AM
1-USA
Advanced

Default Vette Hound

I have been looking for a C-6 Z06 and find Vette Hound to be next to worthless. Some prices way below market, thousands of hits many months old…. It is a turn off to me. As an example I just looked at a blue 2008 Z06, 6000 mi for 31k….9500 hits, little data and no phone number. No time for scams like this. I have purchased and own two nice C-6….Craig’s List has done me well……….goodbye Vette Hound!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 AM
srcuster
Heel & Toe

Default fraud

Never never never give out banking information. This scam goes on all the time. If the buyer is legit...they will have "CASH IN HAND". These idenity thieves prey on ebay and craigslist also.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 PM
kodaclr
Instructor

ok, you guys have scared the crap out of me, What is the best way to sell a vette.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Roma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by srcuster
Never never never give out banking information. This scam goes on all the time. If the buyer is legit...they will have "CASH IN HAND". These idenity thieves prey on ebay and craigslist also.
Every time you pay with your creditcard someone is able to use this for getting your money from your bank.
Also cash can be faked.
Only with your bankaccountnumber no one is able to get your money without your approval ! If it happens without your approval the bank has to pay.

But I know some people want the good old times back, where we just changed things and had no money
Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 AM
BobbyC3
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Pitt947
1st Gear

Sorry if I am in the wrong site.... I am about to become a buyer of a 1968 and a friend suggested that I inquire through this website, regarding the VIN of the car in order to get some history. The last 6 digits of the VIN are; 424665.

Any information is appreciated.

Bob-- rapittenger947@gmail.com
Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 AM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default scammers

Hi GUYS,
I just want to add my 2 cents to this thread .
Firstly i am from South Africa , and like the rest of the world scamming here is rife and you have to be very street wise , this also has a big negative affect on people like myself who try to buy from the good vendors in the states who use this forum and ebay. I have had many a bid canceled because people think a guy from South Africa , its gotta be a scam !!!

Let me give all the sellers of vehicles on the forum some advice .
If a guy from South Africa offers to buy your vehicle and he is not a collector , the chances that it is a scam will be high , because of the idiotic laws written by our government . You are no longer allowed to import a left hand drive vehicle into South Africa , unless it is a collectors class vehicle or a vintage . Most vehicles will have to be 40 years and older. If you are able to obtain a permit , you will never be able to register it , drive it or use it legally on South African roads if it was not registered in your name before the year 2004 .So ask yourself why would the guy want my car if he cant drive or use it ever ??!!!!!!

I own two vettes one which is registered and legal on South African roads and the other which is a 73 Big Block which i bought to look after and enjoy , and yes i do use it with the other cars registration on (naughty naughty ) I get an American company to source and buy me my cars and parts because this is the safest way to conclude business .

Bottom line is if you have a vette that you want to sell and its not a vintage or collector designated vehicle , the buyer cant get it into S.A so toss all those type of inquiries into the delete file , or get the guy to put a good size deposit into a newly opened bank account that has only a couple of dollars in it . If they are scammers it wont be passed by your bank if they try to access your account with intention of defrauding you .Never ever provide anyone with a refund of any kind unless you have definitely received their funds and they have definitely cleared into your account .

Its unfortunate that these guys use S.A as an internet base or a home base , it just screws up trading for legitimate guys from South Africa , and makes me mad as hell watching the ebay auctions until all hours of the morning only to have your bids canceled because the sellers think that its a scam .

I hope that this gives you guys some better idea of the way things operate in South Africa , obviously the selling of parts and spares (and dogs ) is a different issue , and i would advise that anyone in this line gets his money into his account via paypal or another bona fida organization before shipping the goods .

Cheers Guys,

John

Get notified of new replies

To Possible Fraud Caution

Old 05-18-2012, 04:33 PM
75vet55K
Intermediate

Default Definite Scams on Vettehound

Originally Posted by savewave
FYI -- Some folks in the C4s For Sale section are suspicious about recent contacts they have had from out-of-country buyers for their Corvettes:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=637860
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=637594
I recently tried to buy a 75 vette from a guy who claimed he was in GB on business. He claimed it was at third party shipper and all I had to do was send the money to them. They would in turn send the car to me and only release the money when I approved the car. He typed in broken english, dead give away. I told him I wanted to go to where the car was, pay for it and make my own shipping arrangements. He replied with "no goodbye." I in turen told him I was reporting him to vettehounds and the third party shipper. He replied with fu. I have not heard back from either vettehound or the third party shipper. He has other listing on vettehounds, why won't vettehounds do anything about this? I'm proposing that seeing as they are out of Canada that they possibly could be in on it?????
Old 07-19-2012, 05:18 PM
chiavet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, Although I have been around the forum since 99 I am a first time seller here and really appreciate this being posted. Already received an email inquiry for my Vette from overseas. Which was ignored.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:41 AM
4tyres
1st Gear

On the flip side I have sold 2 cars over seas and have had absolutely no problem! Actually sold a 66 charger to a frenchman known as slim! Just have to create a bank account with about $100 in it and have then wire the funds. It's big time fraud (federal) to mess with a wire transfer so it's relatively safe.......

Quick Reply: Possible Fraud Caution