Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Fraud Caution

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 08:15 AM
ssauto28734
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple of cars listed on www.carsonline.com and I recieved the following two emails about them from different people on back to back days.

Subject: CarsOnline.com inquiry: 1989 Ford Mustang

Hi , My name is Mark Timmy . I have interest in buying your 1989 Ford
Mustang, 2 door listed for sale on the internet web. Pls i like you to
send me your last price so i can forward my payment to you in a
Cashier's check direct payment with 5 days time. I hope you accept this method.
Pls let me know the reason why you are selling it out and the present
condition of the car.Can i have your address, phone # and exact name to
be on the payment.pls do email me back.Mark Timmy

Subject: CarsOnline.com inquiry: 1963 Ford T-Bird

Hi ,
My name is Thelma Williams . I have interest in buying your 1963 Ford
T-Bird
, 2 door listed for sale on the internet web. Pls i like you to send me
your last price so i can forward my payment to you in a Cashier's check
direct payment with 5 days time. I hope you accept this method. Pls let
me know the reason why you are selling it out and the present condition
of the car.Can i have your address, phone # and exact name to be on the
payment.pls do email me back. Thelma Williams

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this. I am not sure what there scam is but I am sure there is one to it. I have the first one my phone number before I realized what it was. I figured it was fishy but I thought they might call but I never got a call. Anyone else heard from these guys?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:53 AM
Geoff H
Instructor

Default re out of country buyers

Living in New Zealand, it is hard to buy coz everyone thinks your scamming them coz " why does someone thousands of miles away want to buy my car".
I have bought and imported hundreds of cars from the US and japan to New Zealand, and rarely have a problem.
Go about things the right way and there is no problem, but these
#$@%wits that do these scam letters," i'll send 5 million for your car and i will trust u to send me $4 million back" really make it hard for us honest guys trying hard to do a deal.
I have bought cars and parts off here and ebay, and only been fleeced once, by a corvette forum member unfortunately, so not too bad, a couple of hundred out of pocket.
Its a big thing for us to send over money, sometimes thousands, and the seller has the money and the goods and im thousands of miles away, but hey its a trust thing.
A cobber of mine does the same thing and was asked by a guy, what if i rip you off. He replied, airfares arent expensive and im a very big angry man!!!
I thought that was great.
Anyway watch out for us honest guys.
Cheers Geoff
Old 07-13-2005, 04:42 PM
flyC3girl
Racer

I am listing a link to a site I found off an ebay fraud forum. She sell horses but has the same type of scammers that people selling cars do. What she does is scams the scammers and tells you exactly how the scams work. Not only is this page informative but also pretty funny. Make sure you scroll down and read some of her scamming the scammers links if you have time. My favorite is the one entitled "Have Faith".

http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html
Old 07-13-2005, 07:25 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyC3girl
I am listing a link to a site I found off an ebay fraud forum. She sell horses but has the same type of scammers that people selling cars do. What she does is scams the scammers and tells you exactly how the scams work. Not only is this page informative but also pretty funny. Make sure you scroll down and read some of her scamming the scammers links if you have time. My favorite is the one entitled "Have Faith".

http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html
Thats pretty funny, you can get hooked reading them if your not careful
Old 08-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Kilroy1024
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default International Fraud

Previous Post:
"The check that will be sent to is $25,200.00 and you would have to deduct the cost of your vehicle $18,500.00 from it immediately
you cash it and send the balance $6,700.00 to my client via wire transfer (Western Union / MoneyGram) to offset the shipping charges. "

These scams all follow the same pattern, I'm going to send you a checque for MORE than the car, (intentionally, or by accident), please send a cheque to my shipper, or back to me as a refund.

Problem is: Their cheque is bogus, yours is good, your out the refund.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:35 PM
newhampshirefarms
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buzzardz_vette
Here's a scam I received from Slovakia and my answer to the website that is hosting the ad...
Kimberly Zook
Brusta 29 Street
Bratislava
SK 355 67
Slovakia
Very interesting, I just got a scam email from "someone else" that "happens" to live at the same address as "Kimberly"... Maybe Anna and Kimberly are roomates?

Here's the reply I got when inquiring about a "good deal" on a Harley. Just goes to show, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wed 8/24/2005 1:05 PM
To: Matt
Cc:
Subject: RE: HD

Hello,
As the seller, I would like to take a moment to personally thank you for your interest in my Harley. I know that you have many choices out there and I appreciate your interest. I hope you are serious in your intention for buying. Don`t take it personally, but I am tired with people who offer to buy my bike and in the end they turn out to be scammers, offering to pay me with some sort of fake check or money order. Anyway, the bike is available and I guess you could be it`s owner if everything turns out all right and you are serious about buying. Let me tell you a few things about it : the bike is in excellent condition, everything works perfect and there is no scratch or ding anywhere. The title is clean and fully transferable. One owner bike, it was always garaged, and was never involved in any accident, not even scratched. Only 8213 miles on it. Features include:

H/D Fuel Injected 1450cc 88B Air Cooled V-Twin Engine
5-Speed Transmission
Belt Drive
Chrome H/D Upper & Lower Belt Guards
Front And Rear Disc Brakes With Custom Chrome Cross-Drilled Rotors And Chrome Brake Caliper Inserts
Chrome Transmission Interface Cover Kit
Chrome Transmission Cover
Chrome Push-Rod Tubes
Chrome "Softail" Shift Linkage Kit
Custom Chrome "Softail" Sprocket Cover
Custom Chrome Drive Sprocket Hardware
Chrome H/D "Softail" Swingarm Covers
Custom Chrome H/D Swingarm And Axle Nut Covers
Custom Chrome Swingarm Pivot Cover
Chrome H/D Rocker Box Bolt Covers
Custom Chrome Voltage Regulator Cover Kit
Chrome H/D Head Bolt Covers
Custom Chrome Dual Intake "88" Air Cleaner Housing
Chrome H/D Front Axle Nut Covers
Completely Chrome Front End With Custom Chrome H/D Fork Slider Covers
Full Windshield With Chrome Frame
Custom 7 Inch Chrome Headlamp With Chrome Nacelle
Chrome Driving/Passing Lamps With Integrated/Relocated Chrome Turn Signals And Custom Clear Lenses
Chrome "Bullet" Style Rear Turn Signals,
Custom H/D Chrome/Rubber Twist Grips With Chrome "Sport" Switch Housings
Custom Chrome "Slotted" Side View Mirrors
Custom Chrome Brake And Clutch Levers
H/D Handlebar Reservoir Cover
Full Custom Chrome H/D Handlebar Clamp Housing
Chrome Shrouded Instrument Cluster With Integrated Digital Odometer And Multiple Indicator/Warning Lights
Custom Chrome Billet H/D Floor Boards With Integrated Highway Pegs
Custom Chrome/Rubber Billet Brake Pedal And Matching "Heel-To-Toe" Gear Selector
Chrome Rear Fender Side Rails
Big-Wide Two-Position Custom Studded Leather H/D Seat(That Is As Comfortale As It Is Cool)With Custom Chrome Sissybar And Matching Backrest
Custom Chrome Luggage Rack
Custom H/D Medallion Kit
Chrome Kickstand Harley Davidson Limited "Radical Paint Set" With Liquid Flames
H/D 16 Inch Chrome "ThunderStar" Wheels
Custom High Performance Exhaust System With Full Length Heat Shields And Turned Down Tips
H/D Remote Security/Alarm System
Custom Chrome License Plate Frame/Mount

The bike is built for US market, it fully meets all US emission standards and you will have no problems whatsoever registering it there. I can provide more photos if you like, and if you are indeed interested in buying. The bike belonged to my late husband who died 4 months ago serving in the UN peace keeping forces detached in Irak. He took great pride in his HD and loved it a lot, but I really don`t like this kind of bikes, I preffer driving arround in my 911 Porsche. This is why I decided to sell the bike. I am located in Bratislava, Slovakia. My final price on this is US 5800$. I know it seems a little low, but I will be quite happy to get rid of it, believe me, ever since my husband passed away, it just sits useless in my garage. If you will take my price, I am willing to pay for shipping and insurance to your location. I ONLY accept payment though a third party service, which will ensure the funds and hold them until you have the bike there, and will guarantee I get the money after you have the bike. If in any way you are unsatisfied with the condition of the bike after you get it there, I agree to have it shipped back on my expense. I do not know pretty much about theese machines, but I will be happy to assist you in any way. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, I can provide lots of photos and info if we can close this deal.

Anna Ketnova
Brusta 29 Street
Bratislava
SK 355 67
Slovakia
Old 09-12-2005, 06:18 AM
peter1971
Intermediate

Funny to read that this scam happens all of the world.
Also we in Holland get these kind of emails and there are always people who fall for it.

They advise us to work with a carbroker or to ask a member from the club to see the car first.

It's a shame that these things happens, meanly because the good willing people suffer from this.

Peter
Old 09-18-2005, 01:01 AM
c3 in hawaii
Pro

It's funny, I get emails from people stating that there are from the united kingdom and will pay full asking price , all they need is all my information and they will send a bank check.. with a shipping agent to complete transaction..YEAH RIGHT!!!! it's happening everywhere.. BE ALERT...like previously stated...cash in hand
Old 09-20-2005, 12:52 AM
tippi77
Racer

Default There are legitimate buyers overseas

Just to let u all know that down in the South pacific (OZ and New Zealand there are genuine buyers)..

I am VP of Capital Corvettes based in Wellington NZ. I have just sold my 77 and will be looking for an 82 or early 90s (Convertible) that hopefully I can import and get around the need to convert LHD to RHD if less than 20 years old. I know the 82 isnt a convertible but I luuuvvvv those turbine wheels !!

From my point of view avoid the "interesting" countries Africa/Middle east and Eastern europe. Also look for poor or "flowery" language.

As the previous posts indicate. Get a legitimate money transfer. ENSURE It is cleared b4 releasing your vehicle and everyone will be happy.

But... I have also heard horror stories of misrepresented vehicles from the USA so the caution goes both ways.

I certainly expect honesty as I am sure u as a seller does.

There have been some great deals so lets ensure they continue

Old 09-20-2005, 01:16 AM
PortDawg
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 1982CorvetteDude
Thats pretty funny, you can get hooked reading them if your not careful
I run one of the forums that BUC (BustedUpCowgirl) is on. She's a hoot..... She keeps us laughing...
Old 10-03-2005, 11:58 PM
tonyd21266
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if it is that person parading as a widow from poland who said her husband died in the midle east

string em up
Old 10-14-2005, 11:17 AM
markbett
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The best way to do an overseas transaction is to do a letter of credit. This way, the buyers bank has to send to your bank the funds, they have to clear, then the your bank will tell you it's OK to ship. Again, this only happens after the bank has cleared the money. (typically it's an 80/20 deal, they will release the balance of the funds after the car is received and cleared, no damage) You don't give anybody your account information. All you have to do is trade names and bank phone numbers, the banks will arrange the transaction. Of course there is a fee for this but what the heck, it's better than getting ripped off.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:14 PM
StarLord
Advanced

Now what I would love to see is someone that got the fake check send it back to another scammer. What type of a response would you get after they get a check for $3000, cash it, get the money, and then THEIR bank says "Oops its a fake" and takes the money back. Would be even funnier if somehow the check was traced back to them in the first place.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:13 PM
scrobson
Advanced

joevette57,
I was just reading through these posts and read yours about the '72. Have you sold it? I have been looking...let me know. I live in St. Louis.

Chet scrobson@charter.net
Old 01-15-2006, 12:10 AM
AlCherry
Racer

Default Regarding "Feebay"

Originally Posted by joevette57
Now I'm shaking in my boots. I listed my 72 on Feebay and the bid that has broke reserve is from Holland. He did email me and indicate if he wound up being high bidder, he wanted to ship the car to Holland, however he is a feebay newbie, and oddly enough his email address has a Russian suffix (.ru) whereas if he's really in Holland, it should be (.nl).
Is anyone here familiar with overseas sales. What is the most secure way possible to recieve payment in this situation? I can promise this, the car will NOT leave my garage until me and my bank are satisfied that the funds are legit.

Get in touch with Ebay and they will tell you the best way to handle this. There is also a link on Ebay where you can talk to a RELIABLE person regarding overseas sales. You can go to anything for sale in the automotive section and the link is there.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:55 PM
TBone24
Heel & Toe

Default Escrow Fraud

On that note, more than 80% of all online escrow companies are organized crime rings. I fell victim to one years ago that amounted to about a $15,000 loss that I was able to track down and recover through the secret service and family members in the CIA. The way it works is this: contact is made and you are convinced by the buyer that his/her escrow company they have used for large purchases will protect both your interests. You are directed to set up a secure incripted user name/password by the the buyer at this escrow company. They the escrow company notifies you it is safe to ship ones the money is recieved in escrow (in your nice private account accessed only by password). They even give you preferred shippers and warn against shipping until the money is secure. Once you send your valuables off to the buyer, the escrow company contacts you a few days later and notifies you the buyer is satisfied and to provide bank account info so the funds can be wired to you. Now you have comprimised your bank account!! The whole thing is a smoke screen often times using the web template of a legit site and just changing the name. Chinese and Nigerian mob mostly. Tens of millions of dollars are leaving the contry from this for cars, jewelry etc.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Does this mean that I don't have a Great Uncle that died and left me 39,000,000 bucks in South Africa. Dam I spent a lot already.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible Fraud Caution

Old 03-04-2006, 08:00 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default UK owner/buyer

Hey guys, here in the UK its hard to get the car of your dreams, especially if its a Vette! Not all international buyers are scammers. When I bought my Vette from the States, from a dealer..I arranged everything and had no problems....I had also won another Vette on Ebay and sent a deposit...to the States....I was scammed. Luckily just lost the deposit...

Lets face it, when your parting with that kind of money, your not going to do it all by email. I would want to talk to the seller and Im sure they would like to talk to the buyer.

Im in the market for a 70, I have a 75 at the moment but that is when I was born so think it would be extra cool to own one from then. If I reply to any sales adds here, please do not dismiss them. Check out my website...you can see what I bought and how I did it....

Heres looking for that '70!!!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 05:17 PM
B3D
4th Gear

I run a classifieds site for Corvettes and I deal with these scammers all the time. I am very aggressive at blocking the ip addresses (I have entire countries blocked), and have sharply cut down the Nigeria fake bank check e-mails. Also, everyone who places an ad on site gets an e-mail warning about this scam.

The other scam to watch for is ads posted for cars at very low prices. They use stolen credit cards to post ad. I have replied to these ads to get more info. They will refer you to a fake shipping company with a phony website and try to get you to send half the amount when car ships. Here is one on the fake shipping site so that you can see what it looks like: Scammer Site and below is a copy of e-mail:

hello,
I have thecar available and its in perfect condition. Now Im in Europe with some business but the car is with a shipping company.Its there because I already had a potential buyer who backed out because they couldn't afford it.
I will pay all shipping taxes thru a shipping company.Using this company you have 5 days inspection period and in this time they will hold your money.If you are not satisifed you can return it and they will return you all amount.If you are happy with it they will send me your money and this deal is close.
The name of the company is www.cargo-worldwide.com
For start this deal you have to register and they will send you more info for payment and shipping.
Thanks ,
Jerry

Other fake sites that I have been referred to are below but they have since been taken down.

http://www.affordableshippers.com
http://www.express-global-shipping.com
http://www.europarceldistribution.com

I have saved a copy of one of the sites on my website so that I can always show what they look like after they are taken down to warn potential victims. I'm not sure if it is ok to post a link to my site here but if the fake site links above are down and anyone wants to see what they look like (they are all duplicates) please e-mail me.

Bob
Old 03-15-2006, 08:31 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilroy1024
Previous Post:
"The check that will be sent to is $25,200.00 and you would have to deduct the cost of your vehicle $18,500.00 from it immediately
you cash it and send the balance $6,700.00 to my client via wire transfer (Western Union / MoneyGram) to offset the shipping charges. "

These scams all follow the same pattern, I'm going to send you a checque for MORE than the car, (intentionally, or by accident), please send a cheque to my shipper, or back to me as a refund.

Problem is: Their cheque is bogus, yours is good, your out the refund.
They don't expect you to send the money until the cheque they sent you "clears" your bank. They are betting on you to be smart enough not to send anything until the bank checks the cheque.

The real scam is the fact that the cheque they send is a real cheque with forged signature. There is no way your bank is going to be able to determine it is a forgery in a few days. THey look at whether or not the account has the funds in it, if it does they "clear" the cheque and the money goes into your account.

You say hooray you got your money and you send the gent who sent you the cheque a money order wire transfer ( cash )and the car. Now he has his money and no one can get that back from him. Now a month later some poor guy in England or whereever is looking over his bank statements and cancelled cheques and sees the forged cheque and phones the bank and police. Now your bank freezes the money in your account because it was obtained illegally by a forged cheque you gave them..I guess you get the idea, you just lost the money you sent the guy, maybe a car and now the police are investigating you for forgery.

Quick Reply: Possible Fraud Caution