Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Fraud Caution

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 05:07 AM
vttedrm
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I deal with overseas sales everyday at work. The easiest way is to have the money transfered to your account. Your bank can provide you with a routing or swift number that you give the buyer along with your bank account.

There is no way money can come from your account using this method. Have your bank contact you when the money arrives. If the person is really serious, they will probably hire an inspection company that will inspect the car and watch as the car is loaded, blocked and braced on a 20' container. This protects the buyer.

Some may ask to use an L/C (Letter of credit). Contact your bank to look it over for you. Also make sure ALL charges are on the buyers account. If he doesn't agree, then ask for a bank transfer as mentioned above.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:39 PM
moskovita
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the ones on ebay where the guy was selling a clean 1967 Vette from Italy for only $11,500 and asked for half sent to him now and the other half when you get the 67.
I'm betting no one ever sees the Vette!

There were a few similar ones like this on ebay.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:51 AM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Umm, Some peeps, No wait Many Peeps, No, wait....Lie Cheat and steal?....It is becoming more and more prevelant, Be carefull out there my friends................................. Flash
Old 10-06-2004, 07:14 AM
FinnShark
Burning Brakes

Remember that not all buyers from overseas are scams... We do have vettes here on the other side of the bond and we do need spare parts in here too! Best way for you to prevent these scams is not to send anything until you have money on your hands, but on the other hand there is also some scams in there that don't send anything and keep the money! It's difficult and expensive to trace and try to get the money back from the other side of the bond if the seller decides to keep the money and sell the part to somebody else. At least if you are selling about 100USD part the temptation might be too much for some people not to send the parts, because it's much more expensive to handle the fraud than buy another part from another seller...

Sorry for that long story, but my friend bought some years ago parts to his Buick from USA and the seller never send him the parts. He lost about 200USD, it's not too much, but it's still money that he had worked hard for and somebody got it for free...

I guess that these paypals etc nowadays are better than straight deals previously with bank notes etc... Still I'm a little bit cautios when buying parts overseas. I know that most of the guys in this forum are good people and won't do anything like that, but not everybody in this world are as great as you guys are in here!
Old 10-11-2004, 07:05 PM
donzi
Intermediate

Default scam precations

Look at the emails as if you are buying the car. You can tell by the way they word thier message. If you take a cashiers check for your car it does not mean its always good. Your bank may cash it but two weeks later they may call you and say no funds.. Now your car is gone and the title and your SOL. When selling your car trust your gut and dont let the fact that you just sold your car overshadow common sense. Either bank wire or cash is the way to go. if it is a buyers outside the USA be careful. If they want to purchase your car have them do a wire to a USA bank and draw the funds . if they start asking for abnormal things BEWARE. the bottom line is common sense. Do not release your car or your title until you are 100% paid not 99% paid 100 % paid THe buyer should not mind for your dudeligence
Old 02-04-2005, 04:57 PM
racecar
4th Gear

Default possible fraud

I have received several inquires on my classic vettes, from canada/england/ norway. they all seem to have a client that wants to buy ? they insist on sending a check that is generaly for more than the asking,price. when i insist on a bank wire transfer,for the exact amount or escrow.com or bring cash. they stop. i have contacted the fbi. but they dont seem to be interested? my attorney has advised me that there is no recourse in over seas transactions, ? when i ask for business and banking referances they dont reply. i am new to the forum but will send another post if i get any more b/s from overseas.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:07 PM
ftartaglio
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great come back.
For all of you on the forum: I have spoken with others who have had the scam tried on them, and have contacted the authorities, and have been told there isn't much that can be done, So Seller Be-Ware. However, if this happens to you and you recognize it as the scam, you can have some fun; this is what I did. A guy from the UK tried the scam on me, I immediately recognized it, but I played along with him. When I received the cashier’s check as he promised, I reported it to the credit union it was drawn on and they confirmed it was bogus. So, to stall, I contacted the buyer and notified him that I needed more information to transfer the title into his client’s name. He promptly replied with a phony name and address to transfer the title to and then proceeded to scold me for not immediately sending him the funds for shipping. I let him stew for a couple of days without answering the 10 emails that he sent, asking me again to immediately wire him the money via wire transfer Western Union/MoneyGram, he even gave me the address of two Western Union Offices closest to my home. I then sent him an email apologizing for the delay and told him that the check had cleared, I had the cash and I would now send him his money. I ignored him again for a few more days. He was livid; he replied angrily and insisted that I send him his money immediately. I then responded again and told him that I had the cash from the credit union, but that they were asking me to return the money because of a problem with the cashiers check. He replied again and insisted that I send him his money immediately Or Else. I answered; “Or Else what” and I let him stew for two more days. Then he called me long distance from the UK to ask me why I had not send him his money...he was pissed. I hung up on him and sent him this email:

The Federal Credit Union that your check was drawn on, has notified me that your cashiers check is a forgery, and to turn over all information regarding this transaction to the state, federal and international authorities. The authorities have asked me to give them all of the correspondence we have had in regards to this transaction. They would like you to contact them at (800) 221-3311. In the meantime, I will hold the cash and the car. If you do not respond to this request, any funds unclaimed will be kept by me; you have 10 days to respond.

Thinking that I had his cash, he sent me a couple more emails, threatening to get me. He never called the number I gave him and he has not been heard from since.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:41 PM
twistdpair
Instructor

Very common...happened to me twice when selling a BMW 528i. One guy actually sent a fake bank check from Lagos, Nigeria for $25,000 even after I told him no deal.

-Corky
Old 04-06-2005, 09:01 AM
dsagers
Pro

Default Are they moving on to lower priced items?

Here is a message I receieved about a $375.00 clutch I listed in the on line classifieds of our local newspaper.

HELLO,
Thanks for your reply, i am still intrested and okaywith the
price.This is how i will want us to seal the transaction cos i dont
want any delay at all.So all iam going to do isto contact my
associate in the USA to issue you a certified cashiers check of
$2500 which will be for both the shipping and your own money $380
So all i will want you to do when you recieve the check is to
deduct your own money and send the remaining shipping funds of
$2120 through WESTERN UNION VIA to my International shipping agent
that will come for the pick up.So if this terms are okay by you i
will need your contact address and phone number so that i can
forward to my associate who will be issueing you the check.I look
forward to your reply and .Thanks and Regards
Mr johnson

N/B The shipping funds will be wired to my international agent that
will come for the pickup he
will be the one to arrange the pickup and shipping of the ( itsubishi 6 sp VR-4 SouthBend TZ Clutch)
From USA to UK where i am living.now that we have an agreement
I will like you to remove the advert you placed on the website so
that you will recieve no more offers.the cheque will be sent to you
via fedex.I will give you a call as soon as you reply.
info required to send cheque:
NAME ........
FULL ADDRESS........
CITY............
STATE
COUNTRY..........
ZIPCODE........
Phone number Office / cell
Old 04-11-2005, 12:20 PM
1100mccrady
Navigator

Default Tried to get me TOO!! No Such Luck!

This attempt was from India the e-mail came from someone@sify.com They wanted to send me a $20,000 Cashiers Check, and then I was to send the additionl $7,000 to their shipper. I have submitted this to the FBI... Please, if this happens to you write to the FBI... I will make this as painless as possible
http://www.ifccfbi.gov/cf1.asp
That is the site to post the complaint. It will be hard to find these people, but they will not find them unless we turn them in!

--Mike

BTW my vette is still for sale

Click Here
Old 04-11-2005, 02:04 PM
CorvFan
Cruising

i want to buy a car on the net.. possibly from u guys or maybe off ebay.. i don't know..

anyway.. i live in Italy.. would you guys accept paypal?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:50 PM
73conv
Intermediate

I've heard of this, a guy I work with had a Mini Cooper for sale he was contacted by a guy in Dubai, wanted to purchase the car for his boss. Once they settled on a price they guy I work with told him they would need to set up an escrow account for the money. Never heard from him after that. Be very very careful
Old 06-01-2005, 10:47 PM
VettePekka
Instructor

Trust your gut. A lot of foreign buyers are good people - unfortunately though, many more are scammers.

Have the money wire transferred to your account b4 you release the vehicle. As an additional security measure, open a new account for the transaction, and once the wire has been posted to your acct, transfer the money to a different acct and close that acct you opened for the sole purpose of receiving the payment.

Pete
Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by VettePekka
Trust your gut. A lot of foreign buyers are good people - unfortunately though, many more are scammers.

Have the money wire transferred to your account b4 you release the vehicle. As an additional security measure, open a new account for the transaction, and once the wire has been posted to your acct, transfer the money to a different acct and close that acct you opened for the sole purpose of receiving the payment.

Pete
Great idea even for stateside purchases, especially for large purchases.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here's a scam I received from Slovakia and my answer to the website that is hosting the ad.
-----------------------
To: 'webmaster@collectorcartraderonline.com'
Subject: RE: Thank you for visiting CollectorCarTraderOnline.com

Received this reply from my inquiry (it's definitely a scam that has been noted on corvetteforum.com):
-----------------------
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2005 11:08 AM
To: villardk@gmail.com
Subject: Chevy

Hello Daryl,
As the seller, I would like to take a moment to personally thank you for your interest in my 1968 CHEVROLET CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE. I know that you have many choices out there and I appreciate your interest. I hope you are serious in your intention for buying. Don`t take it personally, but I am tired with people who offer to buy my car and in the end they turn out to be scammers. Anyway, the car is available and I guess you could be the owner of the Chevy if everything turns out all right and you are serious about buying. Let me tell you a few things about it : the car is in excellent condition, everything works and there is no sign of rust anywhere. The title is clean and fully transferable. It is built for US market, it fully meets all US emission standards and you will have no problems whatsoever registering it there. It has 47,014 original miles. More specifications:

ALL NUMBERS MATCHING!
Engine: 427 cubic inch Tri-power with 435 hp Turbo-Jet V-8
Transmission: M21 Close Ratio 4-speed manual
Axle: Positract 355R
Exterior: Rally Red - Flawless Condition
Interior: Black Leather - Flawless Condition
Ignition: Full Transistor
Windshield: Factory Tinted

I can provide more photos and info if you like, and if you are indeed interested in buying. The car belonged to my late husband, who died 8 months ago serving in the UN peace keping force detached there from Slovakia. He took great pride in his car and loved it a lot, but I really don`t like this kind of classic cars, I just don`t see it as a woman`s car. I preffer driving arround in my 911 Porsche. This is why I decided to sell the Corvette. I am located in Bratislava, Slovakia. My final price on this is US 13.600$. I know it seems a little low, but I will be quite happy to get rid of it, believe me, ever since my husband passed away, it just sits useless in my garage, and nothing would make me happier than to know that the car will be taken care of and loved as my husband Daniel did. If you will take this price, I am willing to pay for shipping and insurance to your location.
I ONLY accept payment though a third party service, which will ensure the funds and hold them until you have the car there, and will guarantee I get the money after you have the car. If you are an honest buyer, I believe you will have no objection to this. I do not know pretty much about theese machines, but I will be happy to assist you in any way. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, I can provide more photos and info if we can close this deal.

Kimberly Zook
Brusta 29 Street
Bratislava
SK 355 67
Slovakia
Old 06-02-2005, 01:00 PM
VettePekka
Instructor

That's funny,

I know "Kimberly" as well... who knows how many other names "she" goes by...I think "Andrea" is one of them.

I have been "interested" in buying many Vettes from them. I kinda like to tease them for a while when I realize those are scams. Usually, I do not hear from them any more once I send my final reply: "CAN YOU SAY S.C.A.M.!"

If you want to have fun with those scammers, just go to Vettehound.com and request additional info on pretty much any very attractively priced Vette.

Cheers,

pete
Old 06-04-2005, 05:41 AM
Dog.Soldier
Instructor

on other forums they have been getting problems with people over paying by check for somthing and having the seller send them the the amount they over payed but the checks are from closed accounts..

Get notified of new replies

To Possible Fraud Caution

Old 06-09-2005, 09:21 AM
stavanger
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Must be fraud

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...555483652&rd=1

Chevrolet : Corvette 454/365 hp 1971
AWESOME!! 454/365 HP, 4 SPD, A/C, NUMBERS MATCH
price: US $9,800.00

Serious bidders with cash in hand only please!!! Don't waist my time and yours!!

Hehe
Old 06-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by stavanger
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...555483652&rd=1

Chevrolet : Corvette 454/365 hp 1971
AWESOME!! 454/365 HP, 4 SPD, A/C, NUMBERS MATCH
price: US $9,800.00

Serious bidders with cash in hand only please!!! Don't waist my time and yours!!

Hehe
Listing has been pulled.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:57 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Kimberly Zook

Originally Posted by Buzzardz_vette
Here's a scam I received from Slovakia and my answer to the website that is hosting the ad.
-----------------------
To: 'webmaster@collectorcartraderonline.com'
Subject: RE: Thank you for visiting CollectorCarTraderOnline.com

Received this reply from my inquiry (it's definitely a scam that has been noted on corvetteforum.com):
-----------------------
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2005 11:08 AM
To: villardk@gmail.com
Subject: Chevy

Hello Daryl,
As the seller, I would like to take a moment to personally thank you for your interest in my 1968 CHEVROLET CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE. I know that you have many choices out there and I appreciate your interest. I hope you are serious in your intention for buying. Don`t take it personally, but I am tired with people who offer to buy my car and in the end they turn out to be scammers. Anyway, the car is available and I guess you could be the owner of the Chevy if everything turns out all right and you are serious about buying. Let me tell you a few things about it : the car is in excellent condition, everything works and there is no sign of rust anywhere. The title is clean and fully transferable. It is built for US market, it fully meets all US emission standards and you will have no problems whatsoever registering it there. It has 47,014 original miles. More specifications:

ALL NUMBERS MATCHING!
Engine: 427 cubic inch Tri-power with 435 hp Turbo-Jet V-8
Transmission: M21 Close Ratio 4-speed manual
Axle: Positract 355R
Exterior: Rally Red - Flawless Condition
Interior: Black Leather - Flawless Condition
Ignition: Full Transistor
Windshield: Factory Tinted

I can provide more photos and info if you like, and if you are indeed interested in buying. The car belonged to my late husband, who died 8 months ago serving in the UN peace keping force detached there from Slovakia. He took great pride in his car and loved it a lot, but I really don`t like this kind of classic cars, I just don`t see it as a woman`s car. I preffer driving arround in my 911 Porsche. This is why I decided to sell the Corvette. I am located in Bratislava, Slovakia. My final price on this is US 13.600$. I know it seems a little low, but I will be quite happy to get rid of it, believe me, ever since my husband passed away, it just sits useless in my garage, and nothing would make me happier than to know that the car will be taken care of and loved as my husband Daniel did. If you will take this price, I am willing to pay for shipping and insurance to your location.
I ONLY accept payment though a third party service, which will ensure the funds and hold them until you have the car there, and will guarantee I get the money after you have the car. If you are an honest buyer, I believe you will have no objection to this. I do not know pretty much about theese machines, but I will be happy to assist you in any way. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, I can provide more photos and info if we can close this deal.

Kimberly Zook
Brusta 29 Street
Bratislava
SK 355 67
Slovakia
Kimberly Zook has a 68 corvette convertible 427 435 hp car for sale on Vettehound.com for $13000. in Los Angeles. Sounds like a good deal to me. I told her I would fly out today and pay cash for a clear title and take possesion of the car! Wonder why she hasn't E-mailed me back??? UPDATE: Kimberly contacted me! I was sent an invoice thru Square Trade. Looked Legit for half the money through Western Union. Then I was supposed to E-mail the Western union confirmation # to The Square trade Rep. They were supposed to hold the money till the transaction was complete to my satisfaction and then release the money. I also received an E-mail from Square Trade with their glowing asessment of her character and history and that she had $12,000 in an escrow account with Square Trade to cover any necessary refunds. I contacted Sqare trade. They DO NOT act as an escrow agent and both E-mails were bogus. They looked totally legit and even had the square trade logo's and were from www.squaretrade.com. These scammers are definently getting more creative. BE CAREFUL!!!!

Last edited by 63mako; 06-20-2005 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Possible Fraud Caution